• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL Meeting - NOVA - Annandale - THU 02-17-2011

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
02/17/11 - Mason District Government Center - Large Conference Room

Facebook Link: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=146147432110283

Meeting Schedule (Unless Otherwise Noted Above):
7:30 - 8:00 pm -- Informal Gathering
8:00 - 9:30 pm -- Meeting
9:30 - ?:?? pm -- Informal Gathering at a Local Restaurant

Mason District Governmental Center
6507 Columbia Pike
Annandale, VA 22003

Special Guest expected from the Mason District Fairfax County Police to discuss how they handle a "man with a gun" call based on this thread: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?84467

IanB

Anyone know if the Dem opponent to Petersen will be there too?

Edit: Yes... From VA-Alert: "Also, Gerarda Culipher, a candidate running against Senator Chap Petersen in the elections in November, will address the group about her candidacy."

Last edited:

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Expect 5 minutes from http://www.mikechapmanforsheriff.com/

Chapman_2010.jpg

epilogue

Called Gross' office to see if there were any regulations against wearing red shirts on Fridays, got hung up on.

Touchy subject?

epilogue

Was my first meeting and I enjoyed it. Tons of folks, got to shake hands with a few OCDO forum celebrities, met one of the officers who arrested me 10 years ago, all in all was a blast. Looking forward to the next.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Great meeting. Glad to see you guys.

The uber-statist candidate for Loudoun sheriff was a joke. I was definitely unimpressed. He just confessed to being part of a vast sucking sound near my tax money and the national debt. Bet he just loves no-knock warrants.

The first speaker was a little better. At least he informed us on the state of our rights regarding defensive lethal force, rather than spend most of his time telling us how great he was. I would have liked to hear what he meant exactly when he said he supported 2A. We're a saavy crowd. We wanna hear the particulars; we know how politicians say they support 2A, but then say 2A only means guns for the National Guard.

I almost fell out of my chair laughing at the cop who did most of the speaking. Early on he said he wanted cop-armed citizen encounters to not be adversarial. Then later, during scenario role-playing with Philip Van Cleave, totally contradicted himself by saying he was checking to see if Philip was drunk and (insert two or three other characteristics here). Not adversarial? Suuuuuure. What a buncha double-speak. They want us to be un-adversarial is what they mean, to not know they are in fact being entirely adversarial. The old wisdom applies: The cop is not your friend. He is looking for a violation.

Oh, and that business about going in Philip's pocket for his CHP! What a hilarious over-caution. The damn statute (18.2-308H) says, "...shall display...". It does not say a goddam thing about me having to let a cop reach in my pocket, get my wallet, and have access to all the contents of my wallet. Oh, and don't forget. If there is anything in your wallet that could somehow be construed to give reasonable suspicion or probable cause of a separate offense, you just just consented to the cop looking in your wallet, and anything else he finds (or puts there, although hopefully rare) might now be admissable in court.

And, did you notice the way he pestered Philip when Philip didn't want to talk, saying he was busy and had to go? Philip clearly refused consent to an encounter in his first response, but cop wasn't willing to respect his right to refuse, trying to get Philip to change his refusal (rather than respect it) by suggesting it will only take a moment, and, after that was refused, even offering Philip a ride. This was the same cop who earlier had said there were three types of encounters, including consensual.

And, they wanted to build support and respect. <snort>

Last edited:

crazydude6030

Citizen, I think you saw more then I did. I had never thought about the wallet, but it makes sense. BTW, where you the gentlemen asking the bulk of the questions?

Marco

snip-
And, they wanted to build support and respect. <snort>

I know this didn't surprise you.

Look what a former OCDO poster (Wooly) posted on VAGT:

www.vaguntrader.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/89464/Question_to_Law_Enforcement_Of#Post89464

This was the question posted>
Question to all Law Enforcement:

How do you feel about Citizens having the ability to legally CCW?

Wooly said:
That will be a lot more guns on the streets for starters. Gun violence would probably go up simply because of lack of training and heat of the moment shootings. The good thing about CCW is the application process and the training needed to get your card (one time training is better then no training)I personally treat everyone as if they are armed and I always have a plan just in case they decide to cook off and start shooting. So to sum it up I think the current processes is better then none. I meet a lot of people that should not be within 500 feet of ANY firearm. It's sucks that the average everyday gun owner takes the heat for all the idiots with guns. Do you really want a crack head walking around with a pistol, because it wont just be the hard working, tax paying, apple pie eating American packing if they ever pass a bill like that.

Edit:
I'm just glad the majority of LEO's aren't like or think like these guys.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Wooly's arguments are just a wash, rinse and repeat of the standard anti-gun argument.

Gun violence has NOT gone up, but rather down where gun laws were relaxed.

Someone "cooking off" (scare rhetoric) implies that the someone is mentally unstable and no law will prevent that. In fact it is a good argument for having defensive tools at hand. Think Luby's Restaurant in Texas vs Golden Market in Virginia.

Passing such a bill will NOT legalize crack heads to carry - there are already laws on the books to cover that. We all know that only honest people obey laws anyhow - the BG will ignore the law.

I don't know Wooly from Adam, but my grand kids wouldn't buy what he is sellin' - they're too smart for that.

Repeater

Great meeting. Glad to see you guys.

I almost fell out of my chair laughing at the cop who did most of the speaking. Early on he said he wanted cop-armed citizen encounters to not be adversarial. Then later, during scenario role-playing with Philip Van Cleave, totally contradicted himself by saying he was checking to see if Philip was drunk and (insert two or three other characteristics here). Not adversarial? Suuuuuure. What a buncha double-speak. They want us to be un-adversarial is what they mean, to not know they are in fact being entirely adversarial. The old wisdom applies: The cop is not your friend. He is looking for a violation.

Will there be free video so all can watch, or was it PPV?