Thread: New guy in Monroe

New guy in Monroe

Hey folks, new to the forums and finding great info here. Want to start OC'ing, but like trying anything new, I'm a little hesitant. Any tips on getting over this? Anyone here OC'd in the Monroe/Union County area? Thanks!

Best thing to do is to start off with the Wally Walk. Go to walmart, OC'ing, and just walk around. If you need to pick something up, then might as well since your there. Walmart's policy is to follow state law.

Make sure you have a recorder on you as well. Since we live in a single party consent state, only you have to consent to recording even 238796239 people at once.

Good luck!
    Taurus PT1911 .45 ACP. Carried in condition 1, with a total of 25 rounds.

Vice President of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, ECU Chapter

Welcome to the forum. OC is a bit awkward at first. One thing you can expect is a lot of strange looks and double takes from most people. The one question most of us have been asked is "Are you a cop?". Just be yourself and everything will be fine.

Might I suggest traveling to one of the many OC meet ups that occur across the State. Try www.meetup.org specifically http://www.meetup.com/Triangle-Open-Carry/. If not in your general area, the trip may be worth the time and effort.
    Last edited by Northerner; 01-27-2011 at 06:40 PM.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    Thomas Jefferson

The only way to become more confident doing it is to do it. I personally don't find the WalMart walk the easiest thing to do, so I started with smaller stores, fast food joints, etc. Of course, do what's easiest for you, which may mean going to a meetup with other OCers.
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

Thanks for the tips and suggestions, I hope to implement them very soon. Meanwhile I'll continue to watch the forum here and add to my limited knowledge in a effort to "inform/teach" the people I come in contact with. Thanks again!

Prepare Rehearse the answers. LOL:

"Are you a cop?"
    "Is that a real gun?"
    "Is it loaded?"
    "Why do you think you need a gun in here?"
    "What are you so scared of?"

Last edited by Anthony_I_Am; 01-28-2011 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony_I_Am View Post
    "What are you so scared of?"
    I get this one a lot just for owning one from my family they think because I carry that I walk around in fear all day.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry1981 View Post
    I get this one a lot just for owning one from my family they think because I carry that I walk around in fear all day.
    Jerry1891, As you stated I too get strange looks even from some family about carrying my guns. Well with age comes confidence and commitment, which started in 1985 when the USMC strapped a 45acp on a young private and thrust me into a position prob best suited for someone a lot more trained to do the job at had......That was my first Open Carry dealing with thousands of Public, Sailors etc working the gates and key security building in Norfolk Navel Base...Built confidence and I might add my first EXACT WORDING of the use of deadly force...Which I took with the up most of importance...As they say the rest is History.....Open Carry to the End.....RICKY

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry1981 View Post
    Same here. My folks think because I carry around the house that I walk around all day trembling in fear. I try to explain to them that sometimes regular people are thrust into situations where their life is in danger. If that ever happens to me I will be equipped to handle that situation. Just like I have a fire extinguisher in my truck but that doesn't mean I'm pyrophobic!
    "But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."
    -John Adams