• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New guy in Monroe

RedEagle

Hey folks, new to the forums and finding great info here. Want to start OC'ing, but like trying anything new, I'm a little hesitant. Any tips on getting over this? Anyone here OC'd in the Monroe/Union County area? Thanks!

elixin77

Best thing to do is to start off with the Wally Walk. Go to walmart, OC'ing, and just walk around. If you need to pick something up, then might as well since your there. Walmart's policy is to follow state law.

Make sure you have a recorder on you as well. Since we live in a single party consent state, only you have to consent to recording even 238796239 people at once.

Good luck!

Bearfoot

Welcome to the forum.:) OC is a bit awkward at first. One thing you can expect is a lot of strange looks and double takes from most people. The one question most of us have been asked is "Are you a cop?". Just be yourself and everything will be fine.

sultan62

The only way to become more confident doing it is to do it. I personally don't find the WalMart walk the easiest thing to do, so I started with smaller stores, fast food joints, etc. Of course, do what's easiest for you, which may mean going to a meetup with other OCers.

RedEagle

Thanks for the tips and suggestions, I hope to implement them very soon. Meanwhile I'll continue to watch the forum here and add to my limited knowledge in a effort to "inform/teach" the people I come in contact with. Thanks again!

Ricky

I get this one a lot just for owning one from my family they think because I carry that I walk around in fear all day.

Jerry1891, As you stated I too get strange looks even from some family about carrying my guns. Well with age comes confidence and commitment, which started in 1985 when the USMC strapped a 45acp on a young private and thrust me into a position prob best suited for someone a lot more trained to do the job at had......That was my first Open Carry dealing with thousands of Public, Sailors etc working the gates and key security building in Norfolk Navel Base...Built confidence and I might add my first EXACT WORDING of the use of deadly force...Which I took with the up most of importance...As they say the rest is History.....Open Carry to the End.....RICKY

Spearhead

I get this one a lot just for owning one from my family they think because I carry that I walk around in fear all day.

Same here. My folks think because I carry around the house that I walk around all day trembling in fear. I try to explain to them that sometimes regular people are thrust into situations where their life is in danger. If that ever happens to me I will be equipped to handle that situation. Just like I have a fire extinguisher in my truck but that doesn't mean I'm pyrophobic!