• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC Agenda for gun rights?

billv

Does anyone have a clue what the NC Legislature is planning on doing with the mess of NC gun law? What can a good law abiding citizen expect this year? More or less freedom?

Beuller? Beuller?

I'm in TX right now, but planning on moving to NC next year. The Texas Firearms Coalition maintains a website that has a status of the bills concerning gun rights. https://www.texasfirearmscoalition....ticle&id=160:2011-bill-status-report&catid=58

Is there anything like this in NC?

Thanks,

billv

Thanks. Been there.

it's out of date. Still has the voting guide for last Nov. Not very organized from what I can tell. Can't find anything on their position, what they are working for, strategy, how they want to affect the legislature, etc. There's a link to NC law, but I'd think that should be prominent on the home page.

Won't get far that way.

cricketdad

Thanks. Been there.

it's out of date. Still has the voting guide for last Nov. Not very organized from what I can tell. Can't find anything on their position, what they are working for, strategy, how they want to affect the legislature, etc. There's a link to NC law, but I'd think that should be prominent on the home page.

Won't get far that way.

Keep watching this forum. News will be forth coming.

chiefjason

I kicked around the NC General Assembly site today. Nothing of interest on the table or calendar right now. When it gets on the radar, it end's up here and other sites pretty quick. I'm anxious to see myself.

cricketdad

Thanks. Been there.

Won't get far that way.

For those that don't know or haven't guessed, I am one of the officers with GRNC.

The web site. We have been working on a whole new web site that should be unveiled shortly.

The Legislative agenda. We have kept a tight lid on it because we didn't want to give a heads up to the opposition. Should be released sometime next week. Keep monitoring this forum. Our Media Directory will post alerts letting you know what is happening and what you can do to help get laws changed.

One thing everyone can do now is to subscribe to the NC House and Senate calendars by going to the NCGA web site. http://ncga.state.nc.us/ We need as many eyes as possible watching them in order to avoid having anything slip through.

The calendars tell you what bills are being introduced (1st reading), which are scheduled for committee hearings (pay particular attention to Judiciary Committees), which are scheduled for votes (2nd and 3rd readings), etc.

billv

For those that don't know or haven't guessed, I am one of the officers with GRNC.

The web site. We have been working on a whole new web site that should be unveiled shortly.

The Legislative agenda. We have kept a tight lid on it because we didn't want to give a heads up to the opposition. Should be released sometime next week. Keep monitoring this forum. Our Media Directory will post alerts letting you know what is happening and what you can do to help get laws changed.

One thing everyone can do now is to subscribe to the NC House and Senate calendars by going to the NCGA web site. http://ncga.state.nc.us/ We need as many eyes as possible watching them in order to avoid having anything slip through.

The calendars tell you what bills are being introduced (1st reading), which are scheduled for committee hearings (pay particular attention to Judiciary Committees), which are scheduled for votes (2nd and 3rd readings), etc.

Thanks. That helps a lot. I'd like to be helpful where I can be. Not a NC resident yet, but will be soon and would like to see some of the NC laws cleaned up. I see too many illogical things going on with the firearms laws.

chiefjason

One of my reps is going to be co chair of Sen Jud 2, Daniel. He'll be hearing from me as soon as something comes up. Nice to have someone in a good position for a change. He seems to be very much on our side too.

cricketdad

One of my reps is going to be co chair of Sen Jud 2, Daniel. He'll be hearing from me as soon as something comes up. Nice to have someone in a good position for a change. He seems to be very much on our side too.

In the dozen or so years I have been doing this I have found NC not to be anti gun, as a whole, but not pro gun either.
Stopping bad legislation has not been too bad but getting anything pro passed has been like pulling teeth.

chiefjason

In the dozen or so years I have been doing this I have found NC not to be anti gun, as a whole, but not pro gun either.
Stopping bad legislation has not been too bad but getting anything pro passed has been like pulling teeth.

Yeah, the elected officials seem to view things very different than the general population. And the Dems were good at strategically placing the antis where they could do the most damage. IE, Hackney and Ross last year. Removing them will likely be a big help. But with the economy so bad and the Republicans may not want to be seen as "gun nuts", I would not be surprised to see the first round of legislation pretty tame. Maybe Castle Doctrine and the SOE clause being addressed. Those are pretty safe issues. The overall re-tooling of firearms carry laws may take more time and effort. I could also be wrong. We'll see.