Thread: Need help! Any advice greatly appreciated.. - Accidental shooting at Norf. gun shop

Need help! Any advice greatly appreciated.. - Accidental shooting at Norf. gun shop

**NOTE-I will not disclose any names in this thread**

I recently won an auction on gunbroker for a USP compact. It was being shipped from Arizona. I went to a FFL dealer and had all the paperwork done. When I finally got an email from the Senders that they will be shipping the firearm I was happy.

Couple days go by and I am just sitting here waiting for a phone call to go and pick it up. When I received the call I was talking to the owner of the receiving FFL.

Supposedly the shop that shipped it, packaged it fully loaded.

When they realized this it was too late. Inadvertently the employee that was inspecting it ended up shooting himself in the hand. So now my USP is sitting in evidence and there is going to be an investigation.

This is where I need advice. Should I call the sending FFL and request my money back? Just sit and wait to hear how the investigation goes? Any thoughts or information will be appreciated.

Thanks

*This is my first ever FFL transfer by the way.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Sounds like there are some pretty stupid employees at both of these gun shops.

It's suppose to say "Gunbroker" not "Guntrader"

And I am not making any comments on hunter45's comment...

Quote Originally Posted by hunter45 View Post
    Sounds like there are some pretty stupid employees at both of these gun shops.

+1

I'd ask for my money back, and such.

Just wow.. First some dummy sends it loaded, then another guy goes and pulls the trigger on it, without checking it first?

/Real Men of Genius

Contact whichever agency is "impounding" the gun and ask for its return, or at the very least a receipt for your property & an estimate of how many days before they will return it to you. I don't see why they need it in the first place - they know which gun the employee mishandled, and it wasn't the gun's fault.

There's no reason to deprive you of your property, since you had nothing to do with the incident (I can't call it an accident), & the gun certainly isn't guilty of anything.

If they're reluctant, I'd either ask the seller for a full refund & buy elsewhere or find an attorney who could put a bit of pressure on the LEA to return your property.

Part of my comment on the article linked above:
    ...as though it were a rabid dog that acted on its own, or would harm someone again if let out into polite society.

Why confiscate the gun? They know which one the employee mishandled, and since a gun isn't alive it's not the fault of the gun that the employee pulled the trigger of a loaded gun while he had his hand in the way.

And since the customer had no part in shipping or receiving the gun, he shouldn't be punished for the employee's bad acts (by even temporarily losing his property).

I hope the officers involved release the innocent property ASAP.
    And I'm sure that the seller will get a visit or nastygram from BATFE. Shipping a loaded gun??? (Not that it was a problem 'til the receiving employee violated 3 of the 4 rules, but it is illegal.)
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    Shipping a loaded gun??? (Not that it was a problem 'til the receiving employee violated 3 of the 4 rules, but it is illegal.)
    And the shipping FFL? One would think they would check it as well.
    Last edited by t33j; 01-27-2011 at 07:21 PM.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

I'm betting that it will end up being a 'he said/she said' situtation... with the selling dealer denying that it was shipped loaded, and the receiving dealer swearing it was. Who knows which is accurate....

Quote Originally Posted by Blk97F150 View Post
    I'm betting that it will end up being a 'he said/she said' situtation... with the selling dealer denying that it was shipped loaded, and the receiving dealer swearing it was. Who knows which is accurate....
    Hopefully there's video recorded
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Call the sending FFL and tell them to send you a new gun, unloaded.

Let them know that their gun is sitting in an evidence locker, and someone will be by shortly to speak with them.
    Last edited by ProShooter; 01-27-2011 at 08:53 PM.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post

Let them know that their gun is sitting in an evidence locker, and someone will be by shortly to speak with them.
    That's what I would do!

Get all your buddies to prank call the shop and ask what their policy is if one of their employees accidentally shoots them-self with the gun you want to purchase or have sent through another FFL.

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post

+1

(A great example of how even those in the industry can get complacent.)

1st, I think that the receiving FFL dealer should also be responsible for the incident they caused and refund your purchase. (Not saying the sending FFL is at all innocent)

2nd, There are only 4 rules for safe firearm handling and only 3 are 'really' necessary for handling. Grrr...