• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Beginning of new Assault Weapons Ban?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
New BATFE plans reveled - essentially renews many of the original "assault weapons" restrictions, one gun at a time - beginning with banning importation of certain shotguns.

Any one feature will be deemed not suitable for sporting purposes:

(1) Folding, telescoping, or collapsible stocks;
(2) bayonet lugs;
(3) flash suppressors;
(4) magazines over 5 rounds, or a drum magazine;
(5) grenade-launcher mounts;
(6) integrated rail systems (other than on top of the receiver or barrel);
(7) light enhancing devices;
(8) excessive weight (greater than 10 pounds for 12 gauge or smaller);
(9) excessive bulk (greater than 3 inches in width and/or greater than 4 inches in depth);
(10) forward pistol grips or other protruding parts designed or used for gripping the shotgun with the shooter’s extended hand.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/012611-study-on-importality-of-certain-shotguns.pdf

Thundar

New BATFE plans reveled - essentially renews many of the original "assault weapons" restrictions, one gun at a time - beginning with banning importation of certain shotguns.

Any one feature will be deemed not suitable for sporting purposes:

(1) Folding, telescoping, or collapsible stocks;
(2) bayonet lugs;
(3) flash suppressors;
(4) magazines over 5 rounds, or a drum magazine;
(5) grenade-launcher mounts;
(6) integrated rail systems (other than on top of the receiver or barrel);
(7) light enhancing devices;
(8) excessive weight (greater than 10 pounds for 12 gauge or smaller);
(9) excessive bulk (greater than 3 inches in width and/or greater than 4 inches in depth);
(10) forward pistol grips or other protruding parts designed or used for gripping the shotgun with the shooter’s extended hand.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/012611-study-on-importality-of-certain-shotguns.pdf

Yeah, I mean who would ever hunt with a collapsing stock??

This is the path that they choose to kill our rights. They do not have the votes in the congress to enact laws so they instead implement regulations that strangle the right.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
They do not have the votes in the congress to enact laws so they instead implement regulations that strangle the right.

Not a regulation yet. This is a study, obviously proposal based.

It is allegedly in the comment period, although I do not have a link as to where to direct comments yet.

Further, since when did only for legitimate sporting purposes have anything to do with it?
Do we suddenly only have the right to hunt and break clay pigeons - where is that so declared in the 2nd Amendment?

eye95

I don't see this getting past a court challenge based on Heller. The right is not "to bear weapons for hunting."

Gaidheal

Wow, just wow.

Have these idiots ever even used a shotgun?

I learnt to shoot them at what the USA would consider 'primary' school (I was 9) and I can't see how any of the weapons we used would pass this nonsense. For a start, that forward grip bit, as written would seem to be open to very wide interpretation and several of the guns we used at the time had 10 round magazines, as I recall (a later law forced all existing guns to be modified to a maximum of 3, this law remains to this day).

nonameisgood

Comments should be made, after reading the actual document, to: shotgunstudy@atf.gov

So it seems, after reading some of the document, that ATF thinks military-style competition is a sport, but the working group tasked with helping them make the decision did not think that Congress, in 1968, contemplated that. The 1968 GCA prohibits the importation of all firearms, except 4 categories of arms, including those having a sporting purpose. In 1984, again, ATF was told that police and military-style competition is not a sporting purpose for these purposes.
"In doing this [making a 1984 decision about certain weapons], ATF reversed an earlier opinion and specifically rejected the proposition that
police or combat competitive shooting events were a generally accepted 'sporting purpose.'”

And in addition to preventing the dumping of military weapon on the US market, the GCA was largely a protection of markets for the US manufacturers of firearms. And I'm OK with that part.

As for needing actually military weapons (grenade launchers?), you use the weapon you have to get the weapon you need. We've all seen Red Dawn.

Last edited:

AFPVet

As for needing actually military weapons (grenade launchers?), you use the weapon you have to get the weapon you need. We've all seen Red Dawn.

"Muskets were the assault rifles of the founding years". The 2nd Amendment recognizes the freedom of The People to keep and bear ALL arms. The SCOTUS has reaffirmed the 2nd Amendment; however, they have been lax in enforcing it.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
One problem with this... what does the 2nd Amendment have to do with hunting?

Nothing. But the more solidly they can link owning guns to hunting, the better because there are also very strong moves to ban hunting which would then remove the reason for anyone to own firearms... in their little minds.

Gentlemen;

Most of the day-to-day controls we encounter are the result of "acts and agency", not through the efforts and workings of our elected officials. Think about it. Nearly everything you encounter, from warning labels on over-the-counter medications to crib safety mechanisms to just about anything you can name has been affected by some regulatory agency or regulation act for the good of all... for our own safety. How many times have we heard the cry for firearms safety regulation to match that of other consumer products? Aside from a complete ban, that is probably the next highest goal on their list of how-tos for controlling firearms ownership.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Ah yes, the safety restriction and no sporting purpose, no Sat night specials, no evil black guns, and on, and on, and on ........

What other thing/object in your life is so heavily regulated, controlled, limited, or outright banned? Reasonable restrictions on an inalienable right that shall not be infringed ........ until there is no right left, just a privilege denied.

KansasMustang

the entire list of where comments may be directed are as follows:

Comments may be submitted by e-mail to shotgunstudy@atf.gov or by fax to (202)648-9601.
Faxed comments may not exceed 5 pages.
All comments must include name and mailing address.
ATF encourages submission of comments no later than May 1, 2011.

I believe as Patriots we should send comments and be persistent. Mine are on the way.