• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

leo's

the9thl

Don't say

"Am im being detained?"

say

" why am i being detained"

when confronted with leo asking questions or asking for ID

Then ask

" am i free to go "

have used this 6 times with leos asking questions about oc'ing on the streets
have only had 1 young leo from greensboro to act in more confrontational manner.

most will just let you go

Northerner

You've been detained six times and you've been OCing for less than a month? Really?

Reading my mind Sultan and this was only their second post on OCDO!

I call BS. I have OCed for 10 months now around Mid-to-Eastern NC rural to the city and not once have I been approached.

Provide details, time, date, location, quotes of discussion, perhaps an audio or video.

sultan62

Yeah, I've OCd from west of Asheville to east of Greenville and have not had a single negative LE encounter. I will certainly say this is not the only new member as of late I've been suspicious of.

Last edited:

TrailRunner

I've only OC'd a few times, starting recently, but I'm inclined to agree (with Northerner and Sultan). I haven't gotten any dirty looks, no questions, and certainly haven't been approached by any LEO's. From my reading around here and looking for statutes (JIC), some people approach OC with a confrontational attitude right out of the gate. If the root ideal of OC is to prevent confrontation (other than asserting your rights), then taking aggressive stances and verbal posturing with unarmed civilians as well as LEO's seems counter-productive. If peaceful solutions are preferred to violent solutions, then perhaps peaceful solutions with beneficial political/educational side-effects are best. Besides that, perhaps the LEO you piss off today will be the one that responds to the call after you have to defend yourself tomorrow. I certainly wouldn't want a LEO with an already negative opinion of me writing that particular report!

Perhaps some issues do stem from your personal appearance and how you carry yourself, but I think it's easy to be mindful that we are setting an example for the community and to act (and dress) accordingly.

*edited for clarity

Last edited:

nobama

Yea , Ive been OC now for almost 2 years, in summer or warm months ,and I have never had a negative encounter , I cant get a rise from anybody, getting kinda bored with it really. HA HA.

Anthony_I_Am

"Am I being detained" is a simple YES or NO reply. You can reason logically that if the answer is "NO" then you are free to walk. It's nearly impossible to f**k it up by asking this.

"What am I being detained for?" is an open-end question.

The later is a good add-on question if the prior is "YES".

I've OC'd for a decade and haven't got stopped six times. What the hell are you doing that gets you stopped every few days???

" why am i being detained"

when confronted with leo asking questions or asking for ID

Then ask

" am i free to go "

Sort of a moot argument. Why would you think you are "free to go" if you have already understood that you are detained? Since you are acknowledging with the first question that you are detained, then why bother asking? LOL

rotorhead

You've been detained six times and you've been OCing for less than a month? Really?

Yet another new poster on the NC forums with small case letters and numbers in their name following the same posting trend lol.

Not everyone's carrying experiences will be the same, of course, but in the time I've been carrying I've had exactly one encounter with a LEO. It was a simple "hey what are you carrying". After I told him he simply said "Sweet, be careful out there". That was on my way out of the Fayetteville Best Buy a few months ago.

Besides the occasional normal questions from regular folks, I haven't had any kind of negative issues yet. I am, however, taking note of some of these posters and noting down where they live. The last thing I want to do is wander into their parts of the state and be accosted by bands of renegade county jailers or Piggly Wiggly security guards who will take me down if I even so much as glance at the the wrong way...:uhoh:

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Anthony_I_Am

So if im stoped and asked for ID, do I have to show it?

Moore county nc

I think this is covered i another post extensively.
If you are driving a vehicle, YES. Carrying a concealed gun with a CHP, YES. Just walking down the sidewalk, then NO. There is no law in North Carolina that requires you to have an ID just for the sake of having one.

I don't know what "stopped" means. If you mean walking down the street and a LEO walks up and asks for ID, then you don't have to have one. Without getting into the detained/questioned/"Am I free to to go" argument, you generally have to identify yourself to a LEO who is questioning you and has RAS. Simply giving him your name and DOB is sufficient. He can run a check with just that information.

If you are driving then you need a DL. If you are sitting in the drivers seat and the key is in the ignition, you are "operating" the vehicle. Whether or not the engine is running is irrelevant. Then you need a DL.

Check out the other post on the topic. It has a lot of accurate replies.

Dreamer

I've been OCing for over 2 years--in NC, VA, and occasionally WV and PA, and I have never once been "detained" or even approached by an LEO because of my OCing...

I just don't understand what some of these folks are doing to get all the attention.

I don't mean nothin' by that, I'm just sayin'...

aosailor

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking that a lot of newcomers are being stopped more and more. I've been OCing in NC and VA for about 4yrs now. I have had a few bad encounters over that time period, but 6 in just a few months..... seriously? hell I just had a 30min sit down conversation with 7 sheriff deputies while OCing Saturday while getting my car washed. they approached me like I was an old buddy or something... EXTREMELY friendly

papa bear

well he did say it was Greensboro. i have had friends (not carrying) who have been stopped for WWB. it was a couple of guys i worked with. we would walk to get lunch and some exercise. one day i could not go with them and when i saw them later that day they told me an LE had stopped them and demanded ID because they matched a description they had. i was outraged and they said it happens a lot in their world
known it to happen in Winston, too

rotorhead

Nah papa, I think it's understood that these things do happen. A few of us just happened to notice that over the past week or two there appeared a poster who's posts seemed suspicious. He posted like 4 times and it was always a slightly different version of a similar incident he originally posted.

Then along comes this "new" guy explaining that he thinks he knows the other guy from a Star Wars website or some such mess and that basically he thinks the original guy is a troll. He came to warn us that we should look out for him...whew...I'm glad we got that warning....

Then some of us real brilliant folks got to thinking that it's probably the same troll, or idiot, whichever is the case.

So yes, while it's possible that these kinds of stops happen, and there have certainly been true events of the nature, these posts seemed too far out of whack and eventually related to one another to be considered anything but fictional accounts posted by an as yet unknown person/ persons who for some reason has decided to play here.

I think that about sums up the current episodes of "As The Gun Forum Turns..." :)

Last edited: