• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A handgun for a first time owner

Woodchuck

Totally depends on your intent and preferences. A possible concealed carry gun? A gun just for home defense? Plan on hunting with it? You ever shot a gun before? Thought about a revolver?

AaronS

If I had it to do all over, I think I would start with a Ruger GP100 (.357).
I just love that gun.
After I was able to use it well, I would start to look at autos, but that is just me...

CalicoJack10

Your handgun preference should be largely based on your ability in the beginning. It is always good to start with something that you are comfortable shooting. For personal defense, it is all about what you can be comfortable with. Starting with a Glock 19 can really throw you off as it is a heavy gun when loaded (By Carry standards) and can be uncomfortable when you start out. Not to mention I have found that a majority of beginning shooters that carry heavier guns end up not carrying that often. There is a lot more than just "I like that one" that goes into getting a good carry gun. If you have in depth questions, I am sure that we can help you out, but go for function, not presentation.

Last edited:

jpm84092

Seek out a gun store with a range that allows customers to rent handguns on their range. Select an option that allows you to select handguns to test fire that meet you initial requirements. Go ahead and shoot a Glock, a Springfield XD, or in revolvers a .357 snubby or 4 inch barrel. Note what you do best with without further competent instruction. Select that firearm and then get competent instruction.

protias

Get one that fits your hand. If you have a grip you don't like, then that gun is not going to be the one for you. The two ranges I would suggest going to are Badger Guns and Fletcher Arms. I prefer Fletcher's as their customer service is a little better. I'm not sure about Badger, but Fletcher's does have an instructor (well, they allow him to be there, but he's not part of the company) that teachers you how to shoot. It's a 3 hour course that goes by quickly.

XDFDE45

I'm not 100% sure but I was talking to someone about renting and they mentioned at Badger you could rent a gun say in 9mm and then try a few different guns in the same caliber. So if you started with a Glock and then try a XD or S&W M&P. That way you could see what might fit best in your hand but I would call and ask about that before you go if you plan to. The new Gen4 Glocks, Smith and Wesson M&Ps and the SA XDM pistols now come with interchangeable back straps which will allow you to find the best fit for your hand. Also there is a XDM model that has a 3.8" barrel in 9mm and .40S&W now.

mliederbach

Get one that fits your hand. If you have a grip you don't like, then that gun is not going to be the one for you. The two ranges I would suggest going to are Badger Guns and Fletcher Arms. I prefer Fletcher's as their customer service is a little better. I'm not sure about Badger, but Fletcher's does have an instructor (well, they allow him to be there, but he's not part of the company) that teachers you how to shoot. It's a 3 hour course that goes by quickly.

Badgers does not rent firearms anymore. :-(

protias

Last year when a guy rented a firearm and committed suicide in the range.
I wouldn't think that would stop them from renting though. Fletcher's had that happen last year as well and are still renting. I do admit, I haven't been in Badger in probably over a year now, so I don't know what has all changed there.

phred

Get one that fits your hand. If you have a grip you don't like, then that gun is not going to be the one for you.

I have a few friends (yes, I have some) that bought handguns because the guns were "cool" or the rage. They are just not comfortable shooting their investments. Not only is the fit important, but the point-ability and the feeling that the gun is an extension of your arm, allows you to be a better shooter. Whether or not it has a safety and how the safety functions is important too. Do you want an exposed hammer or not? Where are the controls for the magazine release if it is semi-auto? Try revolvers too. There are advantages and disadvantages to almost all the different types of handguns out there. Smaller guns are usually harder to shoot. Bigger guns are usually harder to carry or conceal. But there are exceptions. The best advice I could anyone, which was already mentioned , is to try and shoot as many different styles of handguns before you make the purchase.

And if you're like me, you'll eventually buy another one because the first one didn't fit every need or occasion.

CalicoJack10

I wouldn't think that would stop them from renting though. Fletcher's had that happen last year as well and are still renting. I do admit, I haven't been in Badger in probably over a year now, so I don't know what has all changed there.

Ahhhh,,,, But the comments here only tells half the story, the rest of the story is here.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/92599124.html

TyGuy

Oh well, here we go, everyone is going to way in on this one.

I'd say think about what you want the firearm for first. Hunting, home defense, personal defense, target shooting, or some combination. I think that if you want home defense, personal defense, and target shooting that a 9mm pistol would be the one to look at. 9mm has good personal defense loads, but it's not too expensive to target shoot, unlike 45acp.

If you want personal defense, i.e. concealed carry or open carry then consider a compact or sub-compact size. Once you have the type (pistol, rifle, shotgun, etc...), caliber, and size determined then go to the gun store. Get a feel of all the types of firearms that fit that profile. Try semi-autos and revolvers/pump/lever/bolt action. If possible rent them and fire them and try to cut it down to a few contenders.

From there go with whichever one you like the look of, or is cheaper, or has a good reputation, etc...

That's my $0.02.

If you are looking for a target only firearm then a Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 795 is a great choice. 22lr is cheap and the rifle setup makes accuracy easier.

If you are looking only for home defense then a nice Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 shotgun. The problem here is that not many indoor ranges will let you fire them there.

If you are looking for hunting, then I can't help you there.

hardballer

Go to a good gun shop and pick up and handle as many as they will allow. I carry and shoot a .45ACP 1911 in stainless steel.

I like the gun. I have big hands and am a big person. The smaller 9mm are lighter, but have a sharper kick, not unpleasant but different. A .357 wheel gun has a very distinct and sharp kick but manageable by most. The smaller and lighter the gun, the sharper and heavier the recoil or kick. The ole 1911 is a big, heavy gun and has a very manageable recoil.

Plus the cool factor, at least for me. It has history and is uniquely American. So much so that Utah is considering making it their state gun. Hat tip to John Moses Browning.

Smaller hands and smaller frames might appreciate a lighter, smaller gun.

Whatever you decide, Just make sure the caliber you choose is a threat stopper. .357, 9mm, .40, .45ACP.

Last edited:

LR Yote 312

Go to a good gun shop and pick up and handle as many as they will allow. I carry and shoot a .45ACP 1911 in stainless steel.

I like the gun. I have big hands and am a big person. The smaller 9mm are lighter, but have a sharper kick, not unpleasant but different. A .357 wheel gun has a very distinct and sharp kick but manageable by most. The smaller and lighter the gun, the sharper and heavier the recoil or kick. The ole 1911 is a big, heavy gun and has a very manageable recoil.

Plus the cool factor, at least for me. It has history and is uniquely American. So much so that Utah is considering making it their state gun. Hat tip to John Moses Browning.

Smaller hands and smaller frames might appreciate a lighter, smaller gun.

Whatever you decide, Just make sure the caliber you choose is a threat stopper. .357, 9mm, .40, .45ACP.

Hardballer,
I understand what you mean for a first timer,and I am not in disagreement with you in your advice.

I have smaller hands and use and shoot a 1911 also.
All depends on how they are set up.

Wooden gripped guns usually have a wide selection of after market grips
that can be swapped out for not a whole lot of money.
(But then again too the sky is the limit on what someone can spend on a set
grips for a 1911 or others)

Something else for a newcomer to consider is budget.
Some of the higher end polymer framed handguns come with
switch panel grips or inserts to fit a wide range of users.
Keep this in mind when a price is quoted.

Whatever make,model,caliber is chosen....
The gun is only going to be as effective as the user.
If the user takes the time to practice with it,the results will show for themselves.

If the gun is purchased and stuffed in the sock drawer after a box of ammo
has been consumed and then forgotten about.
Well.....Odds are good one cant expect the results to be as favorable.

LR Yote