• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about OC at 'home' in FL

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I already know the answer to this question, but if I cite it and give a rundown of what it means, I'll be told I'm wrong and that I'm a troll, etc, followed immediately by someone else (name not mentioned) who will cite the same law, say the same things, and declare that it is correct and no one else is allowed to talk about it...

So, lets say I'm OCing in my home. I rent my home. I want to take the garbage out to the curb. Do I have to leave the gun INSIDE the house? Or is my home the entire property? Can I OC in the front yard? Can I OC while taking the garbage to the curb? What about from my house to my car? If I'm on the way to the range? Can I OC if I'm riding my Motorcycle to the range? Can I OC if I'm riding my Motorcycle to go Fishing?

So answer all these questions, so that the answer will be heard instead of a big thread full of arguing and name-calling.

brboyer

I already know the answer to this question, but if I cite it and give a rundown of what it means, I'll be told I'm wrong and that I'm a troll, etc, followed immediately by someone else (name not mentioned) who will cite the same law, say the same things, and declare that it is correct and no one else is allowed to talk about it...

So, lets say I'm OCing in my home. I rent my home. I want to take the garbage out to the curb. Do I have to leave the gun INSIDE the house? Or is my home the entire property? Can I OC in the front yard? Can I OC while taking the garbage to the curb? What about from my house to my car? If I'm on the way to the range? Can I OC if I'm riding my Motorcycle to the range? Can I OC if I'm riding my Motorcycle to go Fishing?

So answer all these questions, so that the answer will be heard instead of a big thread full of arguing and name-calling.

I rent my home. I want to take the garbage out to the curb. Do I have to leave the gun INSIDE the house?
No, unless your rental agreement is only for the 'home' and not the surrounding property.

Or is my home the entire property?
Yes. - Depending on your rental agreement.

Can I OC in the front yard?
Yes

Can I OC while taking the garbage to the curb?
If the 'curb' is inside your property line, Yes. If the 'curb' is on the city/county right-of-way, No.

What about from my house to my car?
OC? If the car is inside the property line, yes. If it's on the street, no - unless you are covered by one of the execptions in 790.25(3), like your next question.

If I'm on the way to the range?
Yes.

Can I OC if I'm riding my Motorcycle to the range?
Yes.

Can I OC if I'm riding my Motorcycle to go Fishing?
Yes.

790.25(3) LAWFUL USES.—The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes
. . .
(h) A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition
. . .
(j) A person firing weapons for testing or target practice under safe conditions and in a safe place not prohibited by law or going to or from such place
. . .
(n) A person possessing arms at his or her home or place of business

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Almost all of the homes in my neighborhood have been foreclosed on, so I don't have any neighbors to call MWAG on me for taking out the trash.

But the bike is looking nice...

Last edited:

j4l

I OC 24/7 at/around the home at all times, ever since an attempted home-invasion/burglary during which one of my dogs where killed when she barked and growled to alert to the robber's approaching. Robber/killer still free and roaming streets,due to lack of "proof", and still residing 4 doors down from me.

In the days immediately after, I did have one neighbor complain to the police about it, when she saw me walk to my mailbox. When officers arrived and asked about it, I reminded them of my situation, made no secret of my carrying-showed them the sidearm freely, and in no uncertain terms informed them that I plan to carry unless/until the suspect is in custody or dead. End of discussion. They've had no further issue with it, and said they understood completely.

Further, I have since joined my local PD's Sheriff's Advisory Council, and frequently meet with the Assistant Chief, Shift commanders, etc. for my Zone. I have made the same intentions, including my intention to OC everywhere, when/if SB234 passes here clear as well.

A further note. I have made 100% sure that every single time those scumbags from 4 doors down see me around, there's a pistol on the hip or in the hand, and usually a shotgun nearby, if not slung. It's a dead-end, 2-lane road-they have to pass my location every time they come or go anywhere.
These individuals, not being the brightest bulbs on the Christmas tree, have made repeated invasions/robberies on other properties on our block, almost with impunity.
None of these other neighbors,however, have made any effort to arm themselves, or protect their properties.
I feel the deterrent has had it's effect in my case, thus far. They have made no further attempts on my home recently.