• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

lady smith model 60

irish52084

In the hopefully not too distant future, I would like to get a j frame revolver in 357 and I saw a lady smith model 60 and really liked the look of it. I have no experience with j frames or the lady smith in general and was hoping I might get some feedback on them. I was originally thinking of a j frame for a back up to my primary carry guns, but the lady smith seems a bit heavy for that purpose, but if somebody does carry it as a BUG, I'd like to hear your opinion.
Is it possible to put the nicer wood grips of the lady smith model 60 on something like a 442 or 642?

Gray Rider

Options and compromises

I have 4 S&W J-frames.The model 60 is is the cream of the crop in its class. But be prepared for stiff recoil in .357 magnum especially with small wood grips. If you are looking at smooth rosewood grips they are beautiful but too slick to be practical for shooting.

I carry .38 +P. You will need to try it yourself to see what your limits are.

I like Pachmayr Compac grips for shoot-ability. They cushion recoil and have a place for the pinkie finger. They do add a little weight and bulk. If deep concealment is the objective of the day I go with factory wood grips and a Tyler T-grip adapter.

The "weight" of the model 60 has never been a problem for me. I prefer it over the lightweights.

My .02. Others MMV.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
The J-frame is an outstanding handgun for its intended purpose (concealed carry/self-defense). I don't know off the top of my head whether the Ladysmith version has a 2" or a 3" barrel, but IMO the 3" barrel is better for two reasons: it reduces muzzle whip somewhat and the extractor rod is long enough to fully extract magnum cases. Cartridge cases will usually fall out without any trouble once you get them started with the shorter extractor rod, but Murphy's Law is always lurking in the shadows. As noted above, the .357 magnum cartridge in a J-frame is not easy to handle and most people end up loading it with .38 special +P which is not a shabby performer. However, with that in mind, there is at least one other option that you should consider. S&W now makes a J-frame (I think it's designated 642) chambered in .327 Federal magnum which ballistically lies in between the .38 spc +P and the .357 magnum but reportedly is similar in recoil to the hot +Ps. The advantage to this round is that in the J-frame, you get 6 rounds instead of 5. If you can get as much punch as the .38 spc +P (or more) and one more round in the same size package, to me that's a win.