• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MoCo Bank Robber foiled by Ice...

Dreamer

No, not ICE, but rather the slippery frozen stuff on the ground...

http://takomapark.patch.com/articles/alleged-bank-robbery-suspect-shot

http://www.wusa9.com/news/breaking/story.aspx?storyid=133322&catid=158

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/01/28/police-respond-maryland-bank-robbery-hostage/

Using a woman as a human shield, an armed bank robber in Tacoma Park tried to make away with a bag of schwag, using a female customer as a human shield. Montgomery County police responded in force, and shortly after the dye-pack in the robber's moneybag exploded, the woman started struggling, and the robber lost his footing on the ice and slipped and fell. The woman, in a panic, bolted, and as the robber tried to run after her, the police closed in.

He was captured, and at first news reports were that he was shot, but now it is unclear whether he was actually hit with gunfire or not. There have also been reports that one LEO was shot in the leg, but it is not know who shot him. The female customer is reported to be unharmed, and is is currently in protective custody.

It was the Capital One Bank on University Ave in Takoma Park...

So, Governor O'Malley, how is that Gun Control thing working out for you?

He's lucky that he's still alive. In MoCo, they take their bank's money VERY seriously, and generally the police in MoCo will just shoot to kill bank robbers when they arrive on the scene...

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/mar...ty-officer-shoots-bank-robbery-suspect-070610

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,455425,00.html

Dreamer

UPDATE:

The bank robber is dead. Reports confirmed that police shot him to death.

Apparently, the responsing department was Prince George's County. and MoCo. The woman who was being used as a "human shield" is lucky--PG County usually doesn't take the time to distinguish whether a suspect is actually a suspect or not before opening fire...

But at least it's good to know that MD LEAs continue their exemplary record of protecting the money of their banks with lethal force...

http://www.tbd.com/blogs/tbd-latest...-possible-hostages-in-silver-spring-7814.html

swinokur

Activist Member
The officers involved in the shooting were from PG and Takoma Park PD. Takoma Park has asked MoCo to conduct the investigation to have an "outside" Dept involved to be as transparent as possible

I think you were a little hard on the street cops who put themselves in harms way daily to protect us.

Local Fox affiliate new chopper caught all of it.

VIDEO HERE

Last edited:

Dreamer

I think you were a little hard on the street cops who put themselves in harms way daily to protect us.

I think you mean, "put themselves in harms way to protect the Bank's Money"...

Warren vs DC, dude...

The only duty or legal obligation LEOs have is to protect their employers--the Corporations that represent the "government", and I think that banks DEFINITELY fall into that group these days...

swinokur

Activist Member
If you look at the video I don't see the bank's money there. I see a helpless uninvolved and innocent bank teller in fear of her life at the hands of an armed criminal who was stopped by some brave cops. Maybe you looked at a different video,

Maybe you'd feel differently if it was you. It's easy to pontificate at your keyboard.

Last edited:

Dreamer

Maybe you'd feel differently if it was you. It's easy to pontificate at your keyboard.

It could NEVER happen to me. I don't go to banks when I'm in MD. Because MD is a "victi disarmament zone", I consider it FAR to risky to go to banks there. I get cash in VA or NC before "crossing the moat", or I pay for everything with plastic when I visit MD...

And the banks I frequent in NC (SECU and Wachovia) allow open carry...

Maybe we'll just have to agree to disagree.

But there is one thing we CAN agree on, I think. This entire episode is OBVIOUSLY made up and ENTIRELY fictional, because everyone knows that you can't carry in MD unless you have a permit, and it's highly doubtful this guy had a permit.

So there is simply NO POSSIBLE WAY that this happened, because everyone knows that MD's strict gun laws actually work, and the criminals and thugs actually obey them...

[sarcasm OFF] :banghead:

swinokur

Activist Member
Well I'm glad armed criminals only commit armed robbery or other gun related crimes at banks. You're so very lucky.it can only happen to you at a bank, and you don't need the cops anyway. But if it happens somewhere else, I'm sure you can handle it by yourself, armed or not, since you have no use for MD cops and can take care of yourself at all times.

Very impressive keyboard commando.

Last edited:

Dreamer

Well I'm glad armed criminals only commit armed robbery or other gun related crimes at banks.

That is not what I said, and you know it.

I was speaking to this specific incident--a BANK ROBBERY. Since I never go to banks in MD, thre is no possible way I could be involved as a victim or hostage in a bank robbery, because to have that happen to me, I'd need to be in a bank. Last time I checked, the VAST majority of bank robberies actually occur in banks...

You're so very lucky.it can only happen to you at a bank, and you don't need the cops anyway. But if it happens somewhere else, I'm sure you can handle it by yourself, armed or not, since you have no use for MD cops and can take care of yourself at all times.

Again, that is not at all what I said.

Where did you learn reading comprehension and debating skills, from Paul Helmke?

What I said is that the police have no duty or obligation to protect individual citizens. Even if the police catch a criminal IN THE ACT of committing a crime, the duty of the police, in order of importance:

1) to preserve the peace and security of their employers (the government)
2) to do everything they can to ensure officer safety, and
3) to apprehend the criminal

Unlike you, I do not suffer under the delusion that the police will protect me. The SCOTUS and several Federal District Courts have ruled in dozens of cases that the police have NO DUTY or LEGAL OBLIGATION to protect me.

I have therefore taken prudent and willful steps to ensure that I can provide for MY OWN protection, here legal and lawful.

If you think that dialing 911 will magically cause the BGs to drop their guns and run away in fear, then that's your own little delusion, and I pray for your safety.

I never said I have no use for MD LEOs. Hopefully I will never have to call for their services, but what I said is that I do not RELY or DEPEND on them for my safety, and I understand that anyone who does, will be in for a rude awakening when they don't come to their rescue.

Which side are you on, man?

I know that armed robberies happen all the time in MD. But there are some pretty specific trends that are easy to avoid if you study the crime reports. Generally, most armed robberies of businesses in MD are in densely populated areas, occur between 9pm and 5am, are in small businesses like gas stations, convenience stores and liquor stores (except in PG county, where liquor stores have a surprisingly low incidence of robbery--perhaps that's because the drug-smuggling PG Co. Police tend to hand out there a lot, making deliveries, and picking up protection money payments).

You don't see a lot of daylight armed robbery at all in MD--except in REALLY dicey neighborhoods, and the occasional bank robbery. Big retail stores don't get hit much--probably because the BGs know they have extensive security camera systems, and they would be SERIOUSLY outnumbered and there would be dozens of witnesses.

Restaurants in MD don't get hit often either, unless they are in REALLY dicey areas, and even then, it's usually after dark on weekends.

So if you actually took the time to study the crime trends in your own state, you'd understand that avoiding crime in MD is not that difficult if you don't HAVE to go to certain places, or into certain neighborhoods.

But apparently, research, statistical analysis, and FACTS are too much for you, and you'd rather twist people's words in the attempt to create an emotional response that demonized anyone who criticizes the situation in MD.

Gee. who else uses those tactics to shape public opinion--non-factual demonization, emotional appeals, twisting the facts, and pure fabrication?...

Which side are you REALLY on, dude?

Very impressive keyboard commando.

At least I don't live in a state where campaign contributions are considered the primary "good and substantial reason" for getting a carry permit...

Blk97F150

The officers involved in the shooting were from PG and Takoma Park PD. Takoma Park has asked MoCo to conduct the investigation to have an "outside" Dept involved to be as transparent as possible

Local Fox affiliate new chopper caught all of it.

VIDEO HERE

Isn't it weird how different people can watch the same video and have a different perspective on what happened? It looked to me like the guy was trying to run away/escape when they fired on him....

Btw, the police don't protect the individual. They can't. If they could, there would be no such thing as rape, assault, murder, etc. They only show up after the fact, take a report, and hopefully catch the person who commited the crime.

Dreamer

So now it's turning out that the officer that was shot in this incident was shot by another officer in the crossfire. Reports are that the suspect, who was carrying a 9mm pistol, DID NOT FIRE his handgun...

http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/capital-land/2011/01/officers-identified-bank-robbery-shooting

The suspect, whose name has not been released because his family has not been notified, was carrying a 9 mm handgun but did not fire.

The Takoma Park officers involved in the shooting were acting Lt. Tyrone Collington Sr., Cpl. Thomas E. Black and PFC David M. Quante. The Prince George's officers were acting Sgt. Robbie Loveday, Cpl. Bryan Medina and Officer Osiris Lopez Jr.

Sonora Rebel

'Watched the video. Cops tactics sucked... they left their flanks open... no blockers. Responded directly in front of the bank. (Duh) No long guns (observed) present. The BG slipped 'n it looked like the woman may have kicked him when he did. She bolted toward the cops 'n so did he (What was he thinkin'?) Whatever he was thinkin'... he didn't think it for long. When I heard that one of the cops was shot I figured it was friendly fire 'cause the BG ran between two groups of cops in line who had to fire toward each other. (Not good) 'Glad nobody got killed but the BG.