• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wal Mart patron talking on Cell Phone

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
Wow, Really?!

Where did probable cause happen in this case, I thought Terry V. Ohio got this crap straightened out so law enFORCEment would be pulling garbage like this anymore.
At what point were the police able to corroborate the tipsters story from observation before their interference?

A guy is having an argument over the telephone while in his vehicle, and the police refuse to let anyone in our out of the store?
If I got caught in a lockdown situation like that, I would simply leave the store and most likely be arrested for what? Contempt of cop?
WTF!?

CalicoJack10

just out of purely morbid curiocity, I want to know why the guy was taken into custody if no crime was commited.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Talking on a cell phone while putting away groceries is a crime nowadays. Sir, Your under arrest, just step out of the vehicle...Hold on Officer.....SIR STEP OUT OF YOUR CAR , NOW ! ........I said hold on I am talking to my lawyer ! Yes, Arrested for NO REASON, but the here say of a moron passerby. I would sue ! Once again...People do you still think you reside in a free country ? Where the Police can arrest you for doing NOTHING !

TyGuy

Well, those RF signals are probably slowly killing us all, so it was a form of attempted suicide.

TheQ

KPD responded to control the scene and ordered a lockdown of the store both to keep shoppers in and prevent the individual from entering the store.
WOW! This sounds like an unconstitutional detainment by the GOVERNMENT Police to keep an entire population of innocent people locked up!

A more appropriate action may have been a person near the door to advise patrons of what's going on outside and "leave at your own risk".

eye95

How could this happen? How did this nut get a cell phone?? We need some cell phone control laws--now! I suggest they ban hi-capacity batteries. No one needs to be able to talk for more than 30 minutes between charges.

xd40arff

How does one misidentify a phone with a firearm? :confused:

Maybe he was talking on one of these.

GlockPhone.jpg

Dreamer

According to the article:

Hughes said no crime was committed and no additional information, including the person's name, would be released.
HOWEVER, the person who made the 911 call most likely identified themself, and 911 calls are something we can FOIA, so perhaps someone should release the name of the fool who doesn't know an EVO from a Glock, and plaster this idiot's name and an MP3 of the frantic call of idiocy that created this potentially deadly situation all over the Internet.

Had this been in MD, DC, or NYC, the guy in the car would probably have ended his call when the .308 round from a police sniper penetrated his cranium--THEN they would have "initiated contact"...

Honestly, I DOUBT this was a "mistake". I think that the person who made the 911 call is somehow connected to the person this guy was having his cell-phone argument with, and they called it in to mess with him, which is even worse than a STUPID person calling in a MWAG call. Maliciously filing a false report is a CRIME, and besides it diverts valuable LE resources away from doing their REAL job, which is catching REAL bad guys...

The caller should be publicly outed, because they are either an absolute fool, or they are intentionally filing false reports to mess with people...

Last edited:

MK

A couple things about this story.

First, We gotta take it at face value if that's all we have to go bye, but I've seen enough shoddy reporting to never automatically assume the reporter got his facts straight, especially in any issue that has a gun involved in their topic. Maybe the man was arrested and taken downtown but for all I know, the reporter is an idiot and the man was only detained on the scene and he just doesn't know the difference or doesn't care to even ask. Just reading the opening line about how the police diffused the situation with no injuries pretty much tells me that. There was no situation to diffuse other than the one that the caller, the 911 operater and the responding units all helped to create. The police did report that no crime was committed so the man was not charged. He may not even have been taken from the scene.

Second, I'd love to hear the 911 call and the response by the operater. I wonder what kind of information the operater tried to solicit from the caller in order to get the most accurate information possible in order to relay that information to the officers answering the call? There have been instances of MWAG calls where the operater never even asks if the guy is holding the gun, menacing with the gun or if its simply in a holster on his belt. Maybe with better information being gathered, we could have less instances of overeaction or needless killing like what happened recently at the Costco in Las Vegas.

Lord Sega

What bothers me...

Besides the "taken into custody" although "no crime was committed", is ...

"No weapon was found and the individual was taken into custody without incident less than 20 minutes after police arrived on scene."

... how proud the article makes it sound for the LEOs to have beaten their time record.

If it was a real situation, rather than a cellphone, how long would it have taken then ?!?

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

How could this happen? How did this nut get a cell phone?? We need some cell phone control laws--now! I suggest they ban hi-capacity batteries. No one needs to be able to talk for more than 30 minutes between charges.

Indeed! Also, let us not forget about the children. According to this article (http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-texting-study-lt-txt,0,3387288.story) kids who are "hyper-texters" are more prone to smoke, do drugs and have sex. We should ban texting altogether! Write your representatives now! ;)

ak56

Campaign Veteran

William Fisher

A couple things about this story.

First, We gotta take it at face value if that's all we have to go bye, but I've seen enough shoddy reporting to never automatically assume the reporter got his facts straight, especially in any issue that has a gun involved in their topic. Maybe the man was arrested and taken downtown but for all I know, the reporter is an idiot and the man was only detained on the scene and he just doesn't know the difference or doesn't care to even ask. Just reading the opening line about how the police diffused the situation with no injuries pretty much tells me that. There was no situation to diffuse other than the one that the caller, the 911 operater and the responding units all helped to create. The police did report that no crime was committed so the man was not charged. He may not even have been taken from the scene.

Second, I'd love to hear the 911 call and the response by the operater. I wonder what kind of information the operater tried to solicit from the caller in order to get the most accurate information possible in order to relay that information to the officers answering the call? There have been instances of MWAG calls where the operater never even asks if the guy is holding the gun, menacing with the gun or if its simply in a holster on his belt. Maybe with better information being gathered, we could have less instances of overeaction or needless killing like what happened recently at the Costco in Las Vegas.

I think taken into custody indacates arrest more then detained at the scene. Also am I missing something? Is there more to the story then in the link? I didn't see anything about a 911 call, only that a passerby stopped a Kirksville Police officer and said they had seen an individual acting erratically. Any case the cops need to get a grip.

Nevada carrier

I maintain that cell phone batter life should be limited to 10 minutes. If this clown were not allowed to talk on the phone for 30 minutes, someone could have intervened sooner. If he were limited only to 10 minutes his communication rampage would have ended before so many people had been upset.