Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Law Enforcement Member.

New Law Enforcement Member.

Hi everyone,

I am a Deputy in Mississippi and I am pro carry, Here are some of my opinions.

I feel everyone who can legally own a handgun should carry, either concealed or openly, as it is not my nor my departments responsibility to be your bodyguard. I also feel the constitution (which I am sworn to uphold) gives every citizen the right to openly carry a holstered handgun without a permit. This "partially concealed because of holster" is pure BS in my opinion.

I recommend to everyone who can get a permit to do so, but I definitely understand why some do not (time, money, privacy etc) and I respect that decision.
    It just gives you more options like for some reason you want to cover your weapon, then you could legally do so without breaking the law.

I also believe that ignorance of the law is no excuse for officers or citizens.

Not all deputies share my opinions and I am not in a position to change anything, at-least not yet, all I can do is try to educate my fellow deputies as much as I can.

One thing I'd love to see is a FREE & OPTIONAL handgun training course - Probably a pipe dream, but I have seen some people do some very dangerous things with handguns, mainly in regards to muzzle discipline.

I do not like these so-called "Concealed-Carry" badges. They are not illegal, I just don't like them because they can easily be mistaken for a LEA badge, from what I've read, most on here feel the same way.

I will not reveal which agency I am involved with and kindly request that people respect this decision. If OCDO administration feels it is necessary, I will provide proof to them and them only but with restrictions that the information to be kept private.

Carry-on!

Founder's Club Member
    Welcome aboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DeputySheriff View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am a Deputy in Mississippi and I am pro carry, Here are some of my opinions.

I feel everyone who can legally own a handgun should carry, either concealed or openly, as it is not my nor my departments responsibility to be your bodyguard. I also feel the constitution (which I am sworn to uphold) gives every citizen the right to openly carry a holstered handgun without a permit. This "partially concealed because of holster" is pure BS in my opinion.

I recommend to everyone who can get a permit to do so, but I definitely understand why some do not (time, money, privacy etc) and I respect that decision.
    It just gives you more options like for some reason you want to cover your weapon, then you could legally do so without breaking the law.

I also believe that ignorance of the law is no excuse for officers or citizens.

Not all deputies share my opinions and I am not in a position to change anything, at-least not yet, all I can do is try to educate my fellow deputies as much as I can.

One thing I'd love to see is a FREE & OPTIONAL handgun training course - Probably a pipe dream, but I have seen some people do some very dangerous things with handguns, mainly in regards to muzzle discipline.

I do not like these so-called "Concealed-Carry" badges. They are not illegal, I just don't like them because they can easily be mistaken for a LEA badge, from what I've read, most on here feel the same way.

I will not reveal which agency I am involved with and kindly request that people respect this decision. If OCDO administration feels it is necessary, I will provide proof to them and them only but with restrictions that the information to be kept private.

Carry-on!
    Welcome to the sight.It is good to have law enforcement views on concealed or open carry.

Welcome!

Welcome aboard.
    Wish there were more LEOs who shared your stated opinions.
    So how long before you're in charge of the place & can make policy?
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    Welcome aboard.
    Wish there were more LEOs who shared your stated opinions.
    So how long before you're in charge of the place & can make policy?
    Thanks for the welcome guys (& gals).

Who knows when of if I would ever be able to change policy, or even if our policy needs changing, I do not know. But I can share my interpretation and opinions on the law to the deputies I associate with in regards to open and concealed carry of handguns.

Quote Originally Posted by DeputySheriff View Post
    Thanks for the welcome guys (& gals).

Who knows when of if I would ever be able to change policy, or even if our policy needs changing, I do not know. But I can share my interpretation and opinions on the law to the deputies I associate with in regards to open and concealed carry of handguns.
    Just so you know, I agree with 95% of the views and opinions on this forum, but I am still attacked 100% of the time, for being a Police Officer. And that reason only. I've been told many times, just today, "I hate the police". I can tell someone that I agree with them and they respond, yea but your opinion is no good because your a cop. It's a shame because we could be a big help. I am starting to think this is a cop bashing forum, instead of a pro-gun forum. I was really hoping to join a forum where I can share my experiences and also learn a little something. Instead I'm dodgeing bullets every time I tell someone I'm a LEO. Too bad, so sad
    Last edited by ronmanci; 01-29-2011 at 09:19 PM.

Cool

What a lot of people get sick of is the mentality we sense from a lot of your brothers in blue that says "I am a cop. I know better than you."

YOU may not feel that way. Others may not feel that way. Some do. And they make our lives as citizens difficult - much more difficult than they need to be.

Good citizens - the very best and most patriotic citizens - detest and distrust authority, especially authority for authority's sake.

You represent that authority.

This is not a cop-bashing forum and the administration will not stand for direct attacks on any members for any reasons.

This forum is about the open exchange of ideas and experiences as they pertain directly to the lawful exercise of a sovereign right. If you are here to support, defend or otherwise propagate those rights then you are a welcome friend.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmanci View Post
    Just so you know, I agree with 95% of the views and opinions on this forum, but I am still attacked 100% of the time, for being a Police Officer. And that reason only. I've been told many times, just today, "I hate the police". I can tell someone that I agree with them and they respond, yea but your opinion is no good because your a cop. It's a shame because we could be a big help. I am starting to think this is a cop bashing forum, instead of a pro-gun forum. I was really hoping to join a forum where I can share my experiences and also learn a little something. Instead I'm dodgeing bullets every time I tell someone I'm a LEO. Too bad, so sad
    Oh, yes! All 24K forum members have sent private messages to this exaggerator, telling him he is hated just because he is a cop. His ideas and attitudes have nothing, nothing at all to do with any of the antagonism he's encountered. Neither did his argument style have anything to do with it.

He's just a poor little misunderstood victim of forum-wide, vicious, anti-cop bias.

Yet, somehow, cop members like Cato, Palerider, Sheriff, and ODA226 are respected members of the forum. Even statist-minded JohnnyLaw didn't stir up the hornets nest this exaggerator has.

Phffft.
    Last edited by Citizen; 01-29-2011 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Oh, yes! All 24K forum members have sent private messages to this exaggerator, telling him he is hated just because he is a cop. His ideas and attitudes have nothing, nothing at all to do with any of the antagonism he's encountered. Neither did his argument style have anything to do with it.

He's just a poor little misunderstood victim of forum-wide, vicious, anti-cop bias.

Yet, somehow, cop members like Cato, Palerider, Sheriff, and ODA226 are respected members of the forum. Even statist-minded JohnnyLaw didn't stir up the hornets nest this exaggerator has.

Phffft.
    I didn't say all 24,000 people. I wouldn't exaggerate like that. But if anyone would like to see how I have been welcomed. Feel free to read the thread I joined in "Washington". "LEO issues" Judge for yourself. Read it from the beginning and tell me how cordial it is. Maybe I got involve with the wrong bunch, who knows. I only joined a couple of days ago and have had mostly, resistance. Not all. Sorry, but it's truley what I have experienced here. I want to enjoy it, believe me. I agree with the issues at hand. And by the way, your very sarcastic.

Just so you know, I agree with 95% of the views and opinions on this forum, but I am still attacked 100% of the time, for being a Police Officer. And that reason only. I've been told many times, just today, "I hate the police". I can tell someone that I agree with them and they respond, yea but your opinion is no good because your a cop. It's a shame because we could be a big help. I am starting to think this is a cop bashing forum, instead of a pro-gun forum. I was really hoping to join a forum where I can share my experiences and also learn a little something. Instead I'm dodging bullets every time I tell someone I'm a LEO. Too bad, so sad
    As you can see, I am not ashamed to wear my shield from the old days. I am proud to do what I did as military law enforcement—and for a short time as a reserve deputy. I think that most of the 'bashing' comes from people who just do not know any better than to generalize and prejudge.

Honestly, I didn't think that you would find too many on this forum who would be prejudice towards law enforcement

Founder's Club Member
    I didn't say all 24,000 people. I wouldn't exaggerate like that.
    Nice evasion, Ron. The figure was hyperbolic. The point was that you generalized against the forum, making no distinction between members. "...[T]his is a cop-bashing forum...", you said. Necessarily including a large majority of members, and sliming not only a large number of members, but the founders, too.

But, your little tactic of trying to weasel out of it by treating hyperbole as literal is noted.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AFPVet View Post
    As you can see, I am not ashamed to wear my shield from the old days. I am proud to do what I did as military law enforcement—and for a short time as a reserve deputy. I think that most of the 'bashing' comes from people who just do not know any better than to generalize and prejudge.

Honestly, I didn't think that you would find too many on this forum who would be prejudice towards law enforcement
    If there is any cop-bashing on this forum, the volume is nearly inconsequential. It gets slapped down fast; it is not tolerated.

Please do not validate misconceptions or exaggerations like this.

Please distinguish between legitimate criticism of individual misbehaving cops or the class of cops who misbehave and generalized anti-cop commentary.

If there is any cop-bashing on this forum, the volume is nearly inconsequential. It gets slapped down fast; it is not tolerated.

Please distinguish between legitimate criticism of individual misbehaving cops or the class of cops who misbehave and generalized anti-cop commentary.
    Exactly my point.

Nice evasion, Ron. The figure was hyperbolic. The point was that you generalized against the forum, making no distinction between members. "...[T]his is a cop-bashing forum...", you said. Necessarily including a large majority of members, and sliming not only a large number of members, but the founders, too.

But, your little tactic of trying to weasel out of it by treating hyperbole as literal is noted.
    The founders should do a better job containing its members attacks.

Your the ring leader! A real rebel rouser.
    Last edited by ronmanci; 01-30-2011 at 02:27 AM.

Founder's Club Member
    The founders should do a better job containing its members attacks.
    QFT to preserve the non-sequitur criticism of the founders.

Founder's Club Member
    Excuse me DeputySheriff. No disrespect intended to your thread; but, a cop has made a personal attack that warrants reply.

Quote Originally Posted by AFPVet View Post

I didn't either. It has come as a complete shock. After tonight, I will not be back, and I will share my experience on this forum, with my LE friends, the other foums and my twitter account. I don't think this represents the majority. Seems like a fanatical site with a lot of Wako, TX like members. I don't want to be associated with anyone that doesn't want to be associated with me anyway.

I didn't either. It has come as a complete shock. After tonight, I will not be back, and I will share my experience on this forum, with my LE friends, the other foums and my twitter account. I don't think this represents the majority. Seems like a fanatical site with a lot of Wako, TX like members. I don't want to be associated with anyone that doesn't want to be associated with me anyway.
    Sorry to hear you won't be sticking around Some of us appreciate the LEO perspective even if we don't agree. I for one like to get as much informational data as I can to better asess the merits of a particular issue. That's not to say I will agree with all of them but it is the best way to formulate ANY meaningful oppinion.

I hope you stick around but if you don't I wish you well
    America Home of the Free BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE ! ! ! !

Founder's Club Member
    Your the ring leader! A real rebel rouser.
    Heh, heh, heh. Rebel rouser? Oooo. What a revealing choice of words. Only a dyed-in-wool statist would call rebels the freedom-oriented commenters who've been hammering you on other threads.

As for being a ring-leader, hardly. I didn't even pay attention to that other thread until about page 9 or 10. No, you stepped into that with your abrasive style and statist comments yourself.

However, I am one of the original cop-bashers on this forum. Although I never really stooped to verbal filth and such, I used to get quite heated before John and Mike clamped down hard on cop-bashing. Heh, heh, heh. Too bad for you statist cops. The clamp-down was actually a benefit to me. It forced me to become much more refined and to learn facts, of which it turned out there were plenty. In short, my cop-bashing turned into effective cop criticism. I can back statist cops into a corner with the best of them. I've had four years to learn your ilk's dodges, evasions, and tactics.

I've been pretty tame with you up to now. If you want to tangle, I'm willing to dance. You just have to ask yourself if you're willing to chance being shown a statist troglodyte, and whether it will be worth it. Ask yourself how many of your ideas and attitudes are really freedom-oriented. Ask yourself whether they are so important to you that you can or can't stand for the anti-freedom ones to be exposed. Can you stand to have your fixed ideas yanked out from under you? Are you big enough? Those are the sorts of things you'll want to consider.

Or, maybe you could just try to get along as a new guy until you learn the ropes, and eschew both your abrasive style and getting drawn into arguments, taking criticism personally.

Those are veteran forum debaters you're up against in that other thread, and freedom-minded ones at that. They know their Locke, their Jefferson, their Spooner--not just the quotes, but the principles and concepts underlying. You have to decide whether your statist "distortions" will stand up to the light of freedom. Those boys have almost 800 years of freedom principles at their command, especially Deanimator and Dreamer.
    Last edited by Citizen; 01-30-2011 at 03:12 AM.

Criticism can be constructive... as long as it is not out of line. If something offends me, I will say so. Until then, hot beans... I don't like my beans cold

this was the latest post on the other thread by a member named DEANIMATOR. No cop bashing here.....

"Kill the pigs!" they can just dismiss. Names, dates, places and body counts are something they can't dismiss... at least without looking like liars and fools.

I did just read my private messages, and i must say I'm overwhelmed with the support shown privately. Thank you. I now see some of my problems have a history of popping up before. But guys, please post that stuff publicly. It can only help.
    Last edited by ronmanci; 01-30-2011 at 12:27 PM.

One of my private messages....thanks again. Eye opening from a 7 year member.

They love to bait you in, slap you down, then the pack feels empowered and they all want a piece. If there were ever a place where "don't drink the kool aid" applied, it's here. If these are the public representatives of open carry, the movement is doomed (not that it breaks my heart) as I feel cc is a smarter option. The majority of folks here have no power, money, influence, or status in society, and desperately want to feel empowered. An exposed gun on their hip is the only thing that makes them feel like they are someone of importance. Unfortunately the majority of the general public views them as wackos, attention ******, or potential psycho killers ready to snap any second.

Whatever you do don't ever mention Officer Safety, as it is like garlic to a vampire, and just mere words (to them) intended to allow harrassment of the poor OC'er. Most have no clue what a Cop actually does or why he does it, and they DON'T want to learn. I grew tired of beating my head against their wall, and so will you.

Here is another:

I want to extend a sincere welcome to you. There are a few on the Wa forum that I think are there just to stir the pot. They have had bad experience with LEO and cannot just get over it. I have to think that for the most part the incidents they had, were inadvertantly started by themselves. Davepro2a is a pot stirer. Sigfan you have already figured out.
    Last edited by ronmanci; 01-30-2011 at 12:36 PM.

Welcome to you both to the forum.

For what it is worth I'm not a cop and I was raked over the coals as a new member too.
    Members convinced me to stay and it has been a very positive experience since then.

There is an "ignore list" in Settings that is quite handy.

"Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast