• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Here's a candidate for the Darwin award

JJC

A convicted felon with a tattooed face attracted some unwanted attention when he went gun shopping last week and ended up with a federal weapons charge.

Monsoor's Sport Shop owner Pat Wendling contacted the bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives last week about a possible "straw purchase" after the 28-year-old La Crosse man came in to look at handguns.

When shown a 9 mm Taurus pistol, Damon Taylor lifted his shirt, tucked the gun in his waistband, commenting it would fit nicely, according to an ATF agent's affidavit unsealed Friday. He said he wanted to buy the pistol for his fiancée and asked how to go about it.

Taylor returned with a woman later identified as Olga Gallegos and handed her money before she paid for

the gun, according to the affidavit. When the clerk left to run a background check, he noticed the phone number Gallegos provided had been scratched out and replaced with one La Crosse police traced to Taylor. Gallegos is not Taylor's fiancée.

Police identified Taylor, who has a dragon tattoo that stretches across his forehead, on store video.

Police set up surveillance on Wednesday and watched as Taylor and Gallegos met in the parking lot. Gallegos went inside and returned with the gun and 50 rounds of ammunition, which police found when they stopped Taylor's vehicle.

Taylor, who was convicted in 2003 of possession of a firearm by a felon and sentenced to 18 months in prison, was charged in U.S. District Court with unlawful possession of a firearm. The U.S. Attorney's office has not decided whether to charge Gallegos.

JJC

jpm84092

Great Story - but the Darwin award is reserved for those who do not survive their folly; thus the name. Their genetic material is removed from the gene pool.

JJC

Great Story - but the Darwin award is reserved for those who do not survive their folly; thus the name. Their genetic material is removed from the gene pool.

Agreed, I guess I was reading a newspaper headline from the future. He's not really thinking about what he's doing with his life.

JJC

scm54449

Opt-Out Members
...but the Darwin award is reserved for those who do not survive their folly; thus the name. Their genetic material is removed from the gene pool.

By in large those are the lion's share of the award winners. But in the 2002 edition of Wendy Northcutt's "Darwin Awards" she does allow that if an individual's folly and resulting injuries mean he no longer possesses the physical ability to breed with a mate on a deserted island, then he is eligible for a Darwin Award.

Either way, I think the tattooed gent deserves an opportunity to truly *earn* a Darwin Award!!