Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WA State Senate nominee arrested in Vegas with for illegal CCW

WA State Senate nominee arrested in Vegas with for illegal CCW

A little off topic, but a whole lot of funny. You'd think someone with political aspirations would be more careful.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...neegun29m.html

Odd, all he had to do was put it in the glove box and he would have been fine, even if it were loaded. Heck, even if he was OCing it in a holster he would have been fine, but tucking it into a waistband probably put his shirt over it.

I guess he didn't do his homework before he went down there.

edited to add: Whats up with waistband carry lately? Is it the press that just doesn't know what a IWB holster is, or are people that broke they cant afford to spend $25 on something to properly secure a firearm on their body?
    Last edited by FMCDH; 01-28-2011 at 06:47 PM.

He may get a break if he at least has a WA CPL, if not, he's porked.

Quote Originally Posted by FMCDH View Post
    Odd, all he had to do was put it in the glove box and he would have been fine, even if it were loaded. Heck, even if he was OCing it in a holster he would have been fine, but tucking it into a waistband probably put his shirt over it.

I guess he didn't do his homework before he went down there.

edited to add: Whats up with waistband carry lately? Is it the press that just doesn't know what a IWB holster is, or are people that broke they cant afford to spend $25 on something to properly secure a firearm on their body?
    I kinda wonder the same thing. 15 bones will net you a cheap Uncle Mike's IWB thingy.

Quote Originally Posted by bikemutt View Post
    He may get a break if he at least has a WA CPL, if not, he's porked.
    Not likely.

Nevada changed it reciprocity back in mid 2009 to no longer recognize Florida or Utah permits so as to force carriers of those two most popular non-resident permit types to come to the state and spend money on their own permit.

They are very "intentional" on what they do with reciprocity in that state.

Good to know FMCDH, I'm headed to the silver state next month. No plans to carry there.

I was hunting last year with a guy from NV, his CPL states which pistols he's entitled to carry, kinda pisses him off, but it is what it is.

Anyway, I was thinking the nascent WA lawmaker might be cut some slack if he can legally carry at home and just "slipped up" when he crossed into NV, ignoring the other states like OR for now. The old "honest" mistake argument.

Roy Murry is an open carry advocate from Spokane.

Dave_pro2a whats so funny? Please fill me in cause I am just not getting the joke.

Roy has quality gear and quality firearms I would be very surprised if he was carrying Mexican.

My guess is the charges are trumped up.

Quote Originally Posted by Orphan View Post
    Dave_pro2a whats so funny? Please fill me in cause I am just not getting the joke.
    What isn't funny. Mexican carry, asleep in car, Las Vegas, politico thinking 'the law is for thee, and not for me.'

Of course, all alleged until he isn't charged based on political influence or connections
    Last edited by Dave_pro2a; 01-28-2011 at 10:57 PM.

[QUOTE=Dave_pro2a;1456029]What isn't funny. Mexican carry, asleep in car, Las Vegas, politico thinking 'the law is for thee, and not for me.'

So you believe everything that is written in the newspaper, why am I not surprised.

I've seen news reports say a gun was "tucked in his waistband", when it actually involved a nice IWB holster. So, I never give any credit to that phrase.

Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    I've seen news reports say a gun was "tucked in his waistband", when it actually involved a nice IWB holster. So, I never give any credit to that phrase.
    Not sure an IWB would be my first pick of holsters when my ONLY option was OC for carry, but I hear what your saying. It does make one wonder if its just the ignorance of the media reporting the incident.

Anytime something is written like "carrying a concealed weapon in his waistband" it is automatically assumed by most that there was no holster involved when in fact this could be very likely how the gun was secured in his waistband, it does not mean carrying Mexican.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

He's lucky he didn't end up like Erik Scott

Shoppers recount police shooting outside Costco

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010...utside-costco/

Wonder if he got sleepy and pulled over after a trip out to Pahrump?
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Roy Murry is an open carry advocate from Spokane.

Roy has quality gear and quality firearms I would be very surprised if he was carrying Mexican.

My guess is the charges are trumped up.
    What's funny is the reactions here based upon extremely limited information in this newspaper story.

No matter how he was carrying, he was legal while he was in the vehicle. The story states that he informed the officers before he exited the vehicle.

Did they order him out of the vehicle? Or did he get out voluntarily?
    Did they give him an opportunity to secure the firearm before he got out?

He could have made a mistake, or they could have entrapped him. Can't tell from the information provided.

More questions than answers in the newspaper report.
    No right is held more sacred, or is more carefully guarded, by the common law than the right of every individual to the possession and control of his own person, free from all restraint or interference of others, unless by clear and unquestionable authority of law. Union Pacific Rail Co. vs Botsford as quoted in Terry v Ohio.

Talk to your cats about catnip - before it's too late.

AH YES!!!! Pahrump, the home of Armscor / Rock Island Arms (Advanced Tactical.com) Great 1911 guns, great customer service, economical prices, did I mention great guns with low prices?

Quote Originally Posted by ak56 View Post
    What's funny is the reactions here based upon extremely limited information in this newspaper story.

No matter how he was carrying, he was legal while he was in the vehicle.
    Really? It's legal to conceal a loaded pistol on your person without a permit in NV while inside a motor vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Dr View Post
    AH YES!!!! Pahrump, the home of Armscor / Rock Island Arms (Advanced Tactical.com) Great 1911 guns, great customer service, economical prices, did I mention great guns with low prices?
    So how do you buy those guns there and not be a resident of NV.

Did you purposely avoid mentioning the "World Famous Chicken Ranch"? I have heard that their "Customer Service" is great too but never heard anyone use the word "economical" when describing their prices.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_pro2a View Post
    Really? It's legal to conceal a loaded pistol on your person without a permit in NV while inside a motor vehicle?
    Looked a little more into this and it appears I may have been mistaken.

Following the Maps link at the top of this page, there is conflicting information. The travel map says there are no restrictions on car carry of a loaded gun in Nevada. Clicking on Nevada and bringing up the specific Nevada page, it says it must be clearly visible.

Looking at the Specific Nevada statutes, I do not see any vehicle exemption for concealed carry.
    No right is held more sacred, or is more carefully guarded, by the common law than the right of every individual to the possession and control of his own person, free from all restraint or interference of others, unless by clear and unquestionable authority of law. Union Pacific Rail Co. vs Botsford as quoted in Terry v Ohio.

No, concealed "on the person" is illegal without a permit, even in a POV. There are limited exceptions for vehicles, but while its "on the person" it must be OC.

Read the attorney generals letter on this topic, found here....
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/nevada.pdf
    Last edited by FMCDH; 01-29-2011 at 10:54 PM.

Vehicles:
    In a vehicle, a weapon may be concealed anywhere within
    the vehicle, or it can be out in the open within the vehicle. The
    only place it cannot be when in a vehicle is concealed upon a
    person, such as under a jacket or in a pocket, unless that
    person has a concealed carry permit.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Vehicles:
    In a vehicle, a weapon may be concealed anywhere within
    the vehicle, or it can be out in the open within the vehicle. The
    only place it cannot be when in a vehicle is concealed upon a
    person, such as under a jacket or in a pocket, unless that
    person has a concealed carry permit.
    So if the gun was tucked into waist band, and was showing, would it not be concealed?
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Nrs 202.350

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    So if the gun was tucked into waist band, and was showing, would it not be concealed?
    Well, the arresting officer seemed to think it was concealed, so now we get to see how a prosecutor and judge view it.

I think if the pistol was plainly visible at all, and since he informed the officer of its presence right off, he was well within the law as I understand it, keeping in mind that officer notification isn't necessary in Nevada.

If his shirt was covering it, well...then its anyone's guess, and he may facing a "category C felony".

-------------------

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Division/...#NRS202Sec3653
    NRS 202.350 Manufacture, importation, possession or use of dangerous weapon or silencer; carrying concealed weapon without permit; penalties; issuance of permit to carry concealed weapon; exceptions.

1. Except as otherwise provided in this section and NRS 202.355 and 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive, a person within this State shall not:

<jump>

(d) Carry concealed upon his or her person any:

(1) Explosive substance, other than ammunition or any components thereof;

(2) Dirk, dagger or machete;

(3) Pistol, revolver or other firearm, or other dangerous or deadly weapon; or

(4) Knife which is made an integral part of a belt buckle.

2. Except as otherwise provided in NRS 202.275 and 212.185, a person who violates any of the provisions of:

(a) Paragraph (a) or (c) or subparagraph (2) or (4) of paragraph (d) of subsection 1 is guilty:

(1) For the first offense, of a gross misdemeanor.

(2) For any subsequent offense, of a category D felony and shall be punished as provided in NRS 193.130.

(b) Paragraph (b) or subparagraph (1) or (3) of paragraph (d) of subsection 1 is guilty of a category C felony and shall be punished as provided in NRS 193.130.

----------

NRS 193.130 Categories and punishment of felonies.

(c) A category C felony is a felony for which a court shall sentence a convicted person to imprisonment in the state prison for a minimum term of not less than 1 year and a maximum term of not more than 5 years. In addition to any other penalty, the court may impose a fine of not more than $10,000, unless a greater fine is authorized or required by statute.
    Last edited by FMCDH; 01-30-2011 at 11:32 PM.

Does bring up the argument that if it was concealed how did the officer see it? Was it found during a "pat down" or was it plainly visible?

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Does bring up the argument that if it was concealed how did the officer see it? Was it found during a "pat down" or was it plainly visible?

From the linked article:

Murry says he told officers about the gun in his waistband before he got out of the car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast