• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ed Brown Massad Ayoob or NightHawk T3 comp

Tdragon412

I'm trying to decide between two custom 1911's has anyone had any time spent using either one of these customs what are your thoughts......?

Michigander

At that price point, I'd probably rather buy 3-5 equally reliable guns with a higher capacity and no manual safeties to fumble over. Or maybe just 1 gun and 5 or 10 years worth of reloading components.

But hey, if you want a 1911 for some reason, either should do. With a mechanism that outdated and quirky, it's important to make sure you get a good one. Blowing that much money is an excellent way to do so without pain staking reliability work or countless trips to a gun smith.

.45acp

But hey said:
Some one been smoking to much tupperware?

To the OP, I cannot speak as to the Nighthawks, but my EB's function flawlessly. The Nighthawks are built by ex Wilson guys and the ones I have handled (not fired) were an outstanding build. One thing you get from either of these two shops is outstanding follow up if there is a problem....which in my experiance is rare.

Don't worry about the 1911 bashers that hang on to any 1911 post....

Steve

Last edited:

Nevada carrier

This

at just under $7000 it's a bargain
CC--BB-CENT-ENGR.jpg

Nevada carrier

there are a lot of good guns out there. H&K, Glock, Kahr, Kimber, Ed Brown, Les Baer , etc. the 1911 is a work of art, some are destined for a life lived in a display case while others like my PT1911 I don't feel bad about a few marks in the bluing. I also own a Glock 36 for concealed carry, a 24/7 for when I really want to strap on some hi-capacity fire power, and a TCP PT738 for pocket carry. My PT1911 I dressed up a bit with some nicer grips, and no other firearm has ever gotten me compliments on how slick it looks. I keep my firearms well maintained and have never had a malfunction with any of them.

Use what you like.

.45acp

No, someones had a 1911, and had multiple friends with 1911's, many of whom, including me have had extremely aggravating problems. More is available for less, that's the thing.

I really don't understand these posts about problematic 1911’s. I have been shooting 1911's since about '64 (I was 10) and have owned better than 15 of em. I have not had one that was bad gun. Some of my Series 70 Colts did not like Hollow Point bullets especially the old “flying ash tray”. But in general I have not had a 1911 that did not function, and well or I would not carry it for SD.
I have found that the 1911 generally works best with 230 gr bullets, and that bullet shape (ie close to the shape of ball ammo) is probably more important than some other guns out there. But that said, I have a number of 1911’s that can handle mixed magazines of SWC, HP and ball of various manufactures. I shoot 99% reloads.

Personally, It makes no difference to me what one carries, the gun is a tool, it is proficiency with the entire tool box that makes a journeyman.