• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What Condition do you Carry In?

CDT COX

Just carried in Condition 1 for the first time. Eh, its not for me, I'm more comfortable with the double action pull for the first shot.

sultan62

The next pistol I think I'm going to get, the CZ RAMI, is also capable of DA, so I would consider carrying that way instead of condition 1. What I don't see is carrying without a chambered round.

Ratt402

I have a Glock 23 and a RIA 1911 compact.
I carry the Glock with one chambered and feel TOTALLY safe with it that way as well as carrying my 1911 in condition one.
If I am drawing my handgun, the only reason is that I AM going to be shooting and taking a life. The better prepared you are and less chance of "Mr Murphy" of Murphy's Law showing up and getting in the way, the better your chances are.
Train to use your weapon as if your life depends on it, cause guess what...it does! Either yours or a loved one or even another citizen's.

Semper Fi!

bushwacker

depends on the condition of the enviorment I am in, If in the city 9mm spanish star fully loaded hammer down safe on unless going down bad street, thats my city gun . In the mountains with bears ..1911 fully loaded hammer back eyes and ears fully open with a stick or switch as back up ( incase 1911 fails...right?) forget the roses ......guns and bikes rule

Last edited:

sultan62

My thinking on the additional safety is in case, somehow, someone got it who had no business getting it. There is no delay or negative of any kind in having the safety, whereas there is a great potential benefit.

Badger Johnson

I personally would carry in Condition 1. That is of course the way that I have trained, which is to have my thumb on the safety when I draw (ready to take it from "safe" to "off-safe" as part of the draw cycle).

This is the condition, if not drawn, which you should use if you are on the job and going into a potentially hazardous situation. If it conditioned you to a safe state of readiness, then that is an option. I think the difference is, citizens are not usually going toward danger. So I wonder if cocked and locked endows a dangerous mindset. If you're living in a combat zone, I'd say move to a safer city.

It is not the option I would recommend, at least to a newbie, for carry. If you practice it you can do the draw and rack with one bullet in the magazine, over and over until it's second nature. Then that could be a valid carry condition especially in guns with no safety.

Obviously, it depends on what you carry. There is no equivalent lock and load in (most) revolvers.

Interesting thread.

sharkey

Depends on the gun.

I carry my XD-9 condition 0 if there is such a thing. It did not shoot me the first time I went to take a piss with it on and dropped it. Thank God no one was around because I was very embarrassed.

I and my wife carry her J.A. 380 condition 3 since that one would likely go off dropped with one in the chamber. It does not have the trigger or grip safety like my XD.

sultan62

This is the condition, if not drawn, which you should use if you are on the job and going into a potentially hazardous situation. If it conditioned you to a safe state of readiness, then that is an option. I think the difference is, citizens are not usually going toward danger. So I wonder if cocked and locked endows a dangerous mindset. If you're living in a combat zone, I'd say move to a safer city.

It is not the option I would recommend, at least to a newbie, for carry. If you practice it you can do the draw and rack with one bullet in the magazine, over and over until it's second nature. Then that could be a valid carry condition especially in guns with no safety.

Obviously, it depends on what you carry. There is no equivalent lock and load in (most) revolvers.

Interesting thread.

And if, for some reason, you only have the use of one hand? (e.g. carrying a child, preexisting/immediate injury, carrying groceries, etc.)

Personally, if I were not comfortable carrying chambered, I would get a different weapon and/or increase training rather than carry unchambered.

muccione

And if, for some reason, you only have the use of one hand? (e.g. carrying a child, preexisting/immediate injury, carrying groceries, etc.)

Personally, if I were not comfortable carrying chambered, I would get a different weapon and/or increase training rather than carry unchambered.

I'm with you on that.... cant beat a one hand operation...

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

Interesting thread.

I can't speak for others, but I know that for me, my mindset doesn't change no matter what condition I'm carrying (the mindset being: I *will* survive). IMHO, I think that drawing, racking, then shooting is the more "advanced" technique (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I know that I wouldn't trust myself to be able to do this in a self defense situation in the same amount of time as shooting from condition 1 (maybe I should add this to my drills...)

Gary599

Sig 229 12rnd mag loaded and an extra rnd in chamber.

Gun has no safety and a de-cocker.

I consider this gun very very safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk