Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: NRA finally calls BS on "sporting purposes" requirement.

  1. #1
    Regular Member zoom6zoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dale City, VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,694

    NRA finally calls BS on "sporting purposes" requirement.

    Finally!

    "On Thursday, Jan. 27, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives released a Study on the Importability of Certain Shotguns, which proposes that “military shotguns, or shotguns with common military features that are unsuitable for traditional shotgun sports” be prohibited from importation. This would apply to all shotguns—not just semi-automatics. As in previous “working group” studies on rifles, the study fails to give proper credit to the widespread use of these guns in newer shooting sports, or to their adaptability to hunting.

    The study underscores the need for Congress to change the firearm importation law. That law requires the Attorney General to approve the importation of any firearm “generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.” This “sporting purposes” test was imposed by the Gun Control Act in 1968, a time when the right to self-defense with a firearm was not as widely respected by the courts as it is today."

    The entire article:
    http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Fe...d.aspx?id=6172

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran GLOCK21GB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    4,348
    Quote Originally Posted by zoom6zoom View Post
    Finally!

    "On Thursday, Jan. 27, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives released a Study on the Importability of Certain Shotguns, which proposes that “military shotguns, or shotguns with common military features that are unsuitable for traditional shotgun sports” be prohibited from importation. This would apply to all shotguns—not just semi-automatics. As in previous “working group” studies on rifles, the study fails to give proper credit to the widespread use of these guns in newer shooting sports, or to their adaptability to hunting.

    The study underscores the need for Congress to change the firearm importation law. That law requires the Attorney General to approve the importation of any firearm “generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.” This “sporting purposes” test was imposed by the Gun Control Act in 1968, a time when the right to self-defense with a firearm was not as widely respected by the courts as it is today."

    The entire article:
    http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Fe...d.aspx?id=6172


    I would like to see the Entire - Gun Control Act in 1968 - get repealed.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

    Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

  3. #3
    Regular Member Sonora Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    3,958
    I'd prefer that BATF be disestablished and disbanded.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    a
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock34 View Post
    I would like to see the Entire - Gun Control Act in 1968 - get repealed.
    I argee

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonora Rebel View Post
    I'd prefer that BATF be disestablished and disbanded.
    +1, I would like the see congress defund and layoff the whole bunch.
    Steve


    "Life is hard, its even harder when you are stupid!"

  6. #6
    Regular Member Wolfgang1952's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Mt Hermon / Franklinton,La ,
    Posts
    173
    Congress an’t got GUTS or BALLS to do away with the BATF
    Pres. Florida Parishes Chapter of LOCAL www.laopencarry.org

    .308 Isn't an area code, but it can still make long distance calls.
    How may I help you? Press '1' for English. Press '2' to disconnect until you learn to speak English.


    Wolf

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,558
    Quote Originally Posted by .45acp View Post
    +1, I would like the see congress defund and layoff the whole bunch.
    well the way they are spending they will do that on their own.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    343
    My response to their letter.

    Nothing in your study took into account the use of MANY shotguns in the United States, that of self-defense.

    The 2nd Amendment of our Constitution Guarantees our right to Keep and Bear Arms, and that this right shall not be infringed. Most would agree that this right is intended for our personal self-defense, and in most States, mentions also defense of family, property, AND The State.

    Simply using "sporting" purposes to decide whether or not to ban certain shotguns from import, based on physical attributes of a particular shotgun, ignores the MOST basic use of ANY projectile firing weapon, that of self defense.

    While hunting is indeed illegal at night in every state that I'm aware of, the typical need for a shotgun for self defense CERTAINLY happens at night, whether inside the home after the family has gone to bed, or on the immediate property of said family, for which it would be helpful if the family shotgun had provisions for the same flashlight allowed and used on handguns with an under the muzzle rail.

    Banning a Shotgun for this simple addition smacks of gun control for no real good reason, and only adds to the concerns of many that gun control is simply about the control and not the guns.
    Thoughts?

  9. #9
    Newbie crisisweasel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pima County, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    266
    I do not see any role for government in the regulation of alcohol, firearms, OR tobacco. This is an agency that seems to exist in service to its own paychecks.

    Surely the trained personnel in this agency could be reassigned to another law enforcement agency?

    I see from the Wikipedia page that the ATF was formed in 1972. Somehow we lived without them until that year.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Thundar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,961

    Gun Collecting

    So how do gun collectors proceed? It has to be unmodified to be imported as a curio or relic, but if you don't modify it you can't import it.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

    The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •