• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA finally calls BS on "sporting purposes" requirement.

zoom6zoom

Finally!

"On Thursday, Jan. 27, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives released a Study on the Importability of Certain Shotguns, which proposes that “military shotguns, or shotguns with common military features that are unsuitable for traditional shotgun sports” be prohibited from importation. This would apply to all shotguns—not just semi-automatics. As in previous “working group” studies on rifles, the study fails to give proper credit to the widespread use of these guns in newer shooting sports, or to their adaptability to hunting.

The study underscores the need for Congress to change the firearm importation law. That law requires the Attorney General to approve the importation of any firearm “generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.” This “sporting purposes” test was imposed by the Gun Control Act in 1968, a time when the right to self-defense with a firearm was not as widely respected by the courts as it is today."

The entire article:
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=6172

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Finally!

"On Thursday, Jan. 27, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives released a Study on the Importability of Certain Shotguns, which proposes that “military shotguns, or shotguns with common military features that are unsuitable for traditional shotgun sports” be prohibited from importation. This would apply to all shotguns—not just semi-automatics. As in previous “working group” studies on rifles, the study fails to give proper credit to the widespread use of these guns in newer shooting sports, or to their adaptability to hunting.

The study underscores the need for Congress to change the firearm importation law. That law requires the Attorney General to approve the importation of any firearm “generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.” This “sporting purposes” test was imposed by the Gun Control Act in 1968, a time when the right to self-defense with a firearm was not as widely respected by the courts as it is today."

The entire article:
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=6172

I would like to see the Entire - Gun Control Act in 1968 - get repealed.

xd shooter

My response to their letter.

Nothing in your study took into account the use of MANY shotguns in the United States, that of self-defense.

The 2nd Amendment of our Constitution Guarantees our right to Keep and Bear Arms, and that this right shall not be infringed. Most would agree that this right is intended for our personal self-defense, and in most States, mentions also defense of family, property, AND The State.

Simply using "sporting" purposes to decide whether or not to ban certain shotguns from import, based on physical attributes of a particular shotgun, ignores the MOST basic use of ANY projectile firing weapon, that of self defense.

While hunting is indeed illegal at night in every state that I'm aware of, the typical need for a shotgun for self defense CERTAINLY happens at night, whether inside the home after the family has gone to bed, or on the immediate property of said family, for which it would be helpful if the family shotgun had provisions for the same flashlight allowed and used on handguns with an under the muzzle rail.

Banning a Shotgun for this simple addition smacks of gun control for no real good reason, and only adds to the concerns of many that gun control is simply about the control and not the guns.

Thoughts?

crisisweasel

I do not see any role for government in the regulation of alcohol, firearms, OR tobacco. This is an agency that seems to exist in service to its own paychecks.

Surely the trained personnel in this agency could be reassigned to another law enforcement agency?

I see from the Wikipedia page that the ATF was formed in 1972. Somehow we lived without them until that year.

Thundar

Gun Collecting

So how do gun collectors proceed? It has to be unmodified to be imported as a curio or relic, but if you don't modify it you can't import it.