• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

advice

galron1941

any advice for some one new to oc'ing in city limits, and advice in case of some one asking as to why i am oc'ing.

have only done this a few times but never had anyone to ask, don't think i have had any one to notice that i can recall.

i have a Glock 23 in 40 cal. i havent had any law stops or any thing, but i was reading some of the post here and it seems that the better part of central and north eastern part of north carolina is up to speed on oc'ing, but as i said i havent done this much other than in a few stores that i know the owners.

Ricky

any advice for some one new to oc'ing in city limits, and advice in case of some one asking as to why i am oc'ing.

have only done this a few times but never had anyone to ask, don't think i have had any one to notice that i can recall.

i have a Glock 23 in 40 cal. i havent had any law stops or any thing, but i was reading some of the post here and it seems that the better part of central and north eastern part of north carolina is up to speed on oc'ing, but as i said i havent done this much other than in a few stores that i know the owners.
I basically carry just as I would concealed, I don't give it a 2nd thought. When you first start carrying open you feel that everyone is watching you and to a point they are. Just set your mind to work past it, and soon you want even realize the are looking. When me an the wife go out, shopping etc, she tells me she catches others glancing but I don't see it. Most people want say a word. I did have a man approach me at a local Kohl's and ask about my gun. I was polite and used the encounter to educate him. He was unaware the you could carry open in N.C.....Good luck

rotorhead

Just picture everyone in their underwear :)

Kidding, but yeah, relax, learn and understand the laws of the state, and leave no question in anyone's mind that you are in compliance. The answers you give will flow naturally the more you carry in compliance with state law.

It's like reading the Bible. You're much more confident of what's in there if you actually read the thing as opposed to going by what you've read or heard. Naturally, your answers to people's questions will flow more confidently if you understand the law.

Other than that, I'd suggest going to a basic handgun class such as the concealed carry classes. You don't have to go for the CHP if you dont want to, but the classes have some good things to know in them.

The last thing I'd suggest is for you to be completely familiar with the gun you are carrying. That means knowing it's limitations, understanding the mechanics of it's parts and how they relate to each other, and finally- practice, practice, practice! Hit the range at least twice a month if possible.

Good luck out there.

Last edited: