• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shame on you if you carry a Glock!

Repeater

Well, that seems to be the sorry attitude of Mr. Intolerant, Peter Galuszka, over at Bacon's Rebellion:

Glock 19s for Everybody?

I'm going to spare you (most) of his less-than-pleasant Hoplophbia. But this is near the end:

Congress considered banning the Glocks some years back from public consumption but backed down under pressure from the National Rifle Association and other right wing groups.

Yet the time has come once again to consider keeping these weapons out of public hands. I'd like to challenge the many conservatives who read this blog to give me a reason why automatic assault rifles or machine guns should be freely available. They are needed by police and military to kill an enemy. They have no purpose for hunting (I have been a hunter but I used a single-shot, bolt-action.22 cal. rifle). And, when it comes to personal defense, why does one need a weapon that can spit out from 500 to 700 rounds a minute?

Ditto Glocks.

Unfortunately, the conservative culture is filled with the imagery and pageantry of weapons. Sarah Palin brags of her prowess in slaying Alaska's wild animals and says we need to "reload" when it comes to politics.

When I attended the Virginia Tea Party convention in Richmond this October, there were plenty of gun nuts strutting about openly holstering Glocks or .45 cal., 1911-style ACP pistols. I remember getting into a discussion with one fanatic wearing a "Guns Save Lives" sticker. He told me that the good old .45 has more stopping power than a 9 mm. Hard right media gurus such has Bill O'Reilly regularly talk about shooting down their opponents and beheading Washington Post reporters. I blog on the Post and I wonder if I am included.

It's time to stop ignoring the gun culture. How many more Techs or Tuscons are we going to need before we wake up?

Peter Galuszka

USNA69

Let Him Rant

It serves no purpose to rebut a moron. Any reply only elevates the moron's assertion into the arena of logical debate. I defy anyone to find any logic in what he has written.

usamarshal

I need to ask this guy where we can get some automatic rifles...I'd love to have one!!!...haha

frankd

They have no purpose for hunting (I have been a hunter but I used a single-shot, bolt-action.22 cal. rifle)

A single-shot bolt action is a hardcore hunting rifle from what I hear. Almost too much for bear or elk. :lol:

Last edited:

sccrref

He indeed needs some more education. I think the point he is trying to make is that the Glock is a very reliable tool. If it wasn't, then not as many people would use them.

Zak Kee

A single-shot bolt action is a hardcore hunting rifle from what I hear. Almost too much for bear or elk. :lol:

Not just a single shot, but a damn .22... What the hell are you going to take down with a .22 cal single shot rifle. And furthermore, I will have to look it up, but isn't it illegal to hunt larger game with a .22 cal rifle? If its like a few other states I have lived it has to be .23 or higher to hunt anything besides rodents because the round does not exit the animal and just bounces around inside.

Is this correct? I haven't hunted in this state yet and really havent studied those laws yet.

Last edited:

frankd

I can't believe I forgot to put the .22 part in. Ack! Yeah, that is what I meant.

AFAIK, you need a .23 or larger caliber to hunt large game in VA.

Snazuolu

hmm i was at the Tea Party convention last year in Richmond, and i had a 1911 on my right side, noone bothered me the entire weekend. i dont like to open carry, but i can say that at the convention, i open carried without fear of weird looks, ppl running away, or screams of "he's got a gun."

Blk97F150

I never had much interest in Glocks...... but might have to get one now. Just because.... :banana:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Some moron who can't seem to take his own advice said:
It's time to stop ignoring the gun culture. How many more Techs or Tuscons are we going to need before we wake up?

Exactly what all of us Pro-Gun People have been asking for nearly a Century...

'Strutting' around helpless, does what?

I can't figure out what a 1911 or a Glock does that other guns don't? Does a 9mm coming out of a Glock somehow do more damage than the same 9mm out of another gun? If so, I'd REALLY like for Mr. Puffer to explain it. He seems to be in stark disagreement with The Laws of Physics. This is usually not a good position to take...

Granted, a Glock is very low maintenance and designed for idiots and weaklings to be able to use.... If those qualities make it better suited for Police, well, uhm, Peter said it, not me....

It's the perfect gun for someone who can't, or doesn't want to, learn much about how to take care of and operate a firearm. On the other hand, it has a low learning curve and is reliable. There is a difference between "Gun Enthusiasts" and people who just want a simple, reliable auto-loading pistol for self-defense. Glock is to Pistol as Kalishnakov is to Rifle. For many (including Cops), it just makes sense.

My Mom is gaga over the G31; .357 Sig also feeds very reliably, being a bottle-neck round. I'm pretty sure OTHER guns fire that SAME round with roughly the same muzzle energy...

It is pointless to argue with an idiot. But, that idiot isn't the only person reading. Rebutting 'those people' with logic and rational conversation is something that Peter cannot do, and it wins. When others see it, they leave the Dark Side and begin to question the lies they've been fed.

Last edited:

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
What the idiot failed to mention was why some in Congress wanted to outlaw Glocks years ago. It was because of they're polymer frames. The anti-gun hysteria of the day was about plastic guns getting through airport security. I found an old shooting magazine in my cousins old room about six months ago. The magazine had an in-depth article on the new polymer frames on pistols and how some wanted to ban it because they ignorantly believed it to be a plastic gun.

Ignorance is a common theme in anti-gun hysteria.

Repeater

Cops: are they civilians or soldiers?

What gets me is that he actually converted cops into soldiers:

They are needed by police ... to kill an enemy.

Does he actually want the police to patrol our streets with automatic weapons, like Northern Ireland, to kill the enemy?

And just who are the enemy? Us?

VApatriot

When I attended the Virginia Tea Party convention in Richmond this October, there were plenty of gun nuts strutting about openly holstering Glocks or .45 cal., 1911-style ACP pistols.

I guess was one of those people with a ".45 cal., 1911-style ACP pistol" (Springfield 1911); however, I wouldn't drescribe my style of walking as a "strut," it's really more like a swagger.

I also helped work the VCDL booth for a few hours, so I guess I have to take responsibility for many of the "GSL" stickers that were being worn about the convention center.

Zak Kee

Does he actually want the police to patrol our streets with automatic weapons, like Northern Ireland, to kill the enemy?

I wouldn't mind... Kill em all and when all the crime finally stops I can lay down my firearm... Well anyways, since it doesn't work like that, guess I will be OC'in! :D

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
even if there were zero crime, I'm not giving up my rights.

Yeah. Besides, some people like to cook, some people like to collect stamps, some people are into photography, and there there are those of us who love firearms... for whatever reason. Just because if the theoretical envisioned disappearance crime were to occur doesn't mean we'd stop wanting to own and use firearms.

Marco

Yeah, Just because if the theoretical envisioned disappearance of crime were to occur doesn't mean we'd stop wanting to own and use firearms.

I'm not giving up my rights.

Agreed X2

I've been asked, why I'm carrying in a quiet neighborhood like ours.
The usual anwers, can you tell me nothing bad/violent has or will ever happen in our quiet community.

Even in utopia I'd be a gun owner

2 yrs ago, there was serial rapist in our quiet neighborhood (didn't live here at the time), the person asking had no clue but they lived in the area for 15+yrs.

Last edited:

Zak Kee

Yeah. Besides, some people like to cook, some people like to collect stamps, some people are into photography, and there there are those of us who love firearms... for whatever reason. Just because if the theoretical envisioned disappearance crime were to occur doesn't mean we'd stop wanting to own and use firearms.

I just meant that in this extremely hypothetical world without crime I would probably not carry, but hell, I love shooting! and I ain't givin that up!