• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Quick Question

1MOA

I am new to the "open carry" laws of any state and did not previously know about them until today. That being said, I am in the Military on Active orders out of my state of residence...
Is it still legal for me to open carry with out a Concealed Carry License even though i am not a resident of state i am living in?

Thanks in advance!

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
You don't have to be a resident of the state to open carry. I use the term resident loosely. You know that without a CCL you cannot carry in your car...

1MOA

Yes, i did know about the concealed in car stuff but thanks! I am looking to get my Concealed handgun license for ohio anyways, anyone know a price range on the fee to get this licence?
Thanks

broker32

more questions

You don't have to be a resident of the state to open carry. I use the term resident loosely. You know that without a CCL you cannot carry in your car...

Ok. I understand you can not carry in the car. But if you open carry can you carry into Restaurant that serve alcohol. I guess my question is do you follow the same conceal carry laws? Also I would assume you have to check city Law in regards to open carry?

trooper46

I could be wrong and someone correct me if I am. But I believe the law is that a firearm or weapon cannot be brought into a restaurant that serves alcohol in Ohio, regardless of how it is brought in.

I believe there is still some legal question as to whether some of the concealed carry laws apply to OC. I think you would have to look as to whether the orc specifically says "concealed carry" or "firearm" , as open carry isn't specifically referenced in Ohio law that I am aware of.

Last edited:

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
Ok. I understand you can not carry in the car. But if you open carry can you carry into Restaurant that serve alcohol. I guess my question is do you follow the same conceal carry laws? Also I would assume you have to check city Law in regards to open carry?
There are a few places where Ohio law prohibits all forms of carrying and other places where only concealed carrying is prohibited.

Ohio Rev. Code § 2923.121 prohibits the possession of a firearm "in any room in which any person is consuming liquor in premises for which a D permit has been issued under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code or in an open air arena for which a permit of that nature has been issued."

Pending legislation, HB 45, would exempt concealed handgun license holders who are not drinking from that section. The Buckeye Firearms Association and Ohioans for Concealed Carry have more information about this bill. However, for now, any bar or restaurant that sells alcohol is strictly off limits, regardless of whether a person is carrying concealed or openly.

Ohio Rev. Code § 9.68 fully preempts all local ordinances.