• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone notice this change in the WI Republican platform?

MKEgal

I was getting info to ..."discuss"... Constitutional Carry with a "we want permits" group, & found this little tidbit snuck into the WI Repub. platform:
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that Republican Party of Wisconsin, in caucus assembled, urges the Wisconsin Legislature to adopt legislation permitting law-abiding citizens without a felony record or a record of serious mental health problems to obtain permits to carry concealed weapons.
http://www.wisgop.org/gop-principles/platform-resolutions/

Hmmm... Don't we have a document from them showing in writing that they voted to support Constitutional Carry?
We need to raise a stink about this, esp. since we have it in writing that they're going back on their word.
A simple repeal of 941.23 (& a few other laws) will solve the problem.

On another note, somehow this "we want permits" group seems to think that Constitutional Carry will require a constitutional amendment! That's why they're willing to compromise our rights by having a permit system - to let the public get used to the idea, to show that nothing will happen (just as nothing has happened in how many other states so far?). Why can't we learn from the mistakes of all those states that wasted time & money restricting the rights of citizens before recognizing RKBA?

Their leader also thinks that WI Carry, ICarry, USCCA, & all the other WI 2A rights groups that are working together are run by the same people.
As delusional as the anti's, but armed.

paul@paul-fisher.com

It's not a change. They never changed it on the web site and for some reason aren't willing to fix it.

It is rather annoying because people I told that the Republican platform was changed have proof that I'm a big fat liar.

Max

What you seek can be found at http://www.wisconsincarry.org/default.html# then click in the box for May 29 2010.

I sent an email to Dean Knudson on Friday regarding the information at Wisconsin Carry Inc not being reflected in the GOP platform on the state's GOP's website. I hope to get a response next week. But please push the issue as well with whomever you choose. The more people asking, the better.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Make lying by a politician a hanging offense....

I was getting info to ..."discuss"... Constitutional Carry with a "we want permits" group, & found this little tidbit snuck into the WI Repub. platform:
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that Republican Party of Wisconsin, in caucus assembled, urges the Wisconsin Legislature to adopt legislation permitting law-abiding citizens without a felony record or a record of serious mental health problems to obtain permits to carry concealed weapons.
http://www.wisgop.org/gop-principles...m-resolutions/
Hmmm... Don't we have a document from them showing in writing that they voted to support Constitutional Carry?
Obviously these clowns have no respect for us whatsoever. The ink is hardly dry on their "Principles", and already they are back peddling, editing after the fact, and lying. I guess it's the Libertarian Party for me next time. I still like my proposal for a new amendment to make lying by a politician a hanging offense....

protias

In the resolutions section, I'm not seeing where they are advocating making permits. At the time, 48 states had permits to carry concealed, that is now 47 and soon to be 46.

Max

Protias, copy and pasted from the Wi. Gop website. section 2010-2 2nd amendment,

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that Republican Party of Wisconsin, in caucus assembled, urges the Wisconsin Legislature to adopt legislation permitting law-abiding citizens without a felony record or a record of serious mental health problems to obtain permits to carry concealed weapons;

skorittnig

The letters that I am getting back from my Senator and Representatives are saying that they are "in favor of a permit style CCW bill"---one of them was very vague regarding the language--very very non-commital.

In my opinion, their language has definitely changed. I cannot say that I will be voting for them again-- I will say that unless there is a better alternative next time around- I may have to... I can't stand moderate republicans, but I loathe a lib any day. :banghead:

protias

Ah, I misread that. Anyone have a copy of the original? Legislators need to be contacted!

phred

I had a loooong talk with the Republican Party Marathon Co.Vice Chair at the gun show today. He informed me of these same ideas - i.e."permitted constitutional carry". He said they want something similar to the Hunter Safety Certificate with similar requirements and cost. Besides telling him that his idea is a contradiction unto itself, I said that there is no mechanism in the state that could provide the "training and certification" that he was talking about. (Currently, Hunter Safety is taught by volunteer instructors under the guidance of the DNR.) In Marathon Co, there is not one indoor range that could accommodate a proficiency shooting requirement. There were several "oh, I hadn't thought of that" after my comments to him. After all, there is no training and certification to Open Carry. Why should covering the firearm with a piece of cloth cost make it any different? I gave it my best and I will be seeing him again. At least he understands that it is not a clear issue.

This new position has not been thought through very well and I suspect it is to placate those who do not want just "anybody" to be able to carry a concealed firearm. (Even though the constitution applies to us all.)

They want a limited unlimited constitutional carry. :banghead:

I did a lot of :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Max

Well done phred. Your story supports my notion that the powers to be are pretty clueless about this issue. We have been looking at this stuff for years and many of our elected officials are new to the party. We need to educate them as you have done.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Obviously these clowns have no respect for us whatsoever. The ink is hardly dry on their "Principles", and already they are back peddling, editing after the fact, and lying. I guess it's the Libertarian Party for me next time. I still like my proposal for a new amendment to make lying by a politician a hanging offense....

Yeah, but then we would have to string them all up, we could use the tree of liberty to suspend the ropes from.... They tell ya want you wanna hear , then they get elected & it's Pizzz off. I love how everyone says well, if they not doing their jobs vote them out..then we vote in a new crowd of BSer's. Nothing will change until the reset. Politicians need to FEAR the people again it's the only sure way to get them to do the bidding of the people..

Last edited:

Max

Yeah, but then we would have to string them all up, we could use the tree of liberty to suspend the ropes from.... They tell ya want you wanna hear , then they get elected & it's Pizzz off. I love how everyone says well, if they not doing their jobs vote them out..then we vote in a new crowd of BSer's. Nothing will change until the reset. Politicians need to FEAR the people again it's the only sure way to get them to do the bidding of the people..

I disagree with you Glock only because of the phenomenon of Tea Party candidates (Hugely pro constitutional rights) challenging old style GOPers and winning. If we cannot depend on the old GOPers to respect our rights we can put up candidates to challenge them in the primary. The Tea Party's presence in Wisconsin is growing and if we get shafted by the current legislators, we do have an option. The American people are starting to get it, the governments have been eroding our liberties for decades and we have had enough of it.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
I disagree with you Glock only because of the phenomenon of Tea Party candidates (Hugely pro constitutional rights) challenging old style GOPers and winning. If we cannot depend on the old GOPers to respect our rights we can put up candidates to challenge them in the primary. The Tea Party's presence in Wisconsin is growing and if we get shafted by the current legislators, we do have an option. The American people are starting to get it, the governments have been eroding our liberties for decades and we have had enough of it.

I do hope your right. But as a very intelligent Zen master - Mr. Gustav Lascaris "Gust" Avrakotos, once said ... will see

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
they are "in favor of a permit style CCW bill"

The letters that I am getting back from my Senator and Representatives are saying that they are "in favor of a permit style CCW bill"---one of them was very vague regarding the language--very very non-commital.:

Wait, What?
THEY??
Um, not for nothing here Mr. Elected official. But you were put into that position to represent your constituents, (meaning me and Us) not going off on your own making $hit up as you go along!

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Wait, What?
THEY??
Um, not for nothing here Mr. Elected official. But you were put into that position to represent your constituents, (meaning me and Us) not going off on your own making $hit up as you go along!

Maybe your new to politics, this BS has been going since the days of Caesar's Rome & certainly since this once free country was founded. it's called Get me elected, then go away.

Last edited:

phred

Another major accomplishment at the GOP Convention was amending resolution
2010 -02 2nd Amendment. The following resolution was proposed as it is written here.

The words that are struck through are the words we were able to get removed.
2010-02 2nd Amendment

WHEREAS, the Constitutions of the United States and Wisconsin both guarantee the right to keep and bear arms; and

WHEREAS, Wisconsin does not allow law‐abiding citizens to carry concealed weapons for their self‐defense; and

WHEREAS, Forty-Eight (48) states has adopted legislation allowing their citizens to obtain permits to carry concealed weapons for their self‐defense; and

WHEREAS, in those states which have adopted such legislation, the number of incidents of misuse of the concealed weapons resulting in the revocation of the permits for carrying concealed weapons has been negligible,

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that the Republican Party of Wisconsin, in caucus assembled, urges the Wisconsin Legislature to adopt legislation to permitting law‐abiding citizens without a felony record or a record of serious mental problems to obtain permits to carry concealed weapons;

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Republican Party of Wisconsin, in caucus assembled, urges the state of Wisconsin to pass legislation to prohibit individuals or organizations from suing manufactures of guns and ammunition for damage caused by illegal acts committed by individuals, and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Republican Party of Wisconsin, in caucus assembled, supports strict punishment of criminal activity involving firearms, and,

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Republican Party of Wisconsin, in caucus assembled; opposes any effort to restrict gun ownership by imposing taxes or fees on guns or ammunition or gun licenses and opposes any other underhanded attempts by government to undermine our 2nd Amendment rights

This is what I have in my files. Since I don't have a "struck through font" I printed in bold and red.
When this amendment came up for a vote; a friendly amendment was proposed to strike those 3 words. After receiving a second, the chair asked for a voice vote. The majority voice vote wasn’t discernable, the chair then asked for all in favor to rise; then all opposed to rise. It was clear that the ayes had it but the chair declared that the nays were the majority. Then a roll call vote was called for from the floor. This is where we almost lost it. In a roll call vote, the delegates in attendance represent the total number of delegates allowed for their county. In our case; 16 members had control of 93 votes for our county. (5.8 votes/person present).
The counties with the larger populations, such as, Milwaukee (602); Waukesha (583); Dane (294); have a much greater impact on the outcome in a roll call than the smaller population counties do. Milwaukee 468 for, 142 against
Waukesha 374 for, 208 against Dane 215 for, 78 against
We were ultimately successful in the adoption of the amendment striking the permit language. However; it is worth mentioning the counties that overwhelmingly voted against it.
County votes for votes against
Burnett 0 18
Chippewa 0 55
Forrest 0 9
Green 0 28
Oconto 0 37
Oneida 0 42
Outagamie 0 161
Ozaukee 5 125
Portage 4 53
Racine 15 170
Richland 0 15
Sawyer 0 18
Waushara 0 25
Equally noteworthy are the counties that unanimously supported it; (this is where I will be spending my vacation $ this summer)
Adams; Ashland; Barron; Bayfield; Calumet; Clark; Columbia; Crawford; Grant; Iowa; Jackson; Juneau; Kewaunee; La Crosse; Lafayette; Lincoln; Manitowoc; Monroe; Pepin; Pierce; Rusk; Sauk; St. Croix; Trempealeau; Vilas; Washburn.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
I'm amazed at some of the counties that had no or few votes for:

Burnett 0 18; Chippewa 0 55; Forrest 0 9; Green 0 28; Oconto 0 37; Oneida 0 42; Outagamie 0 161; Ozaukee 5 125; Portage 4 53; Racine 15 170; Richland 0 15; Sawyer 0 18; Waushara 0 25

What the he!!. We're talking about the Republican party here. Time for members that live in those counties to get personally involved in Republican party politics and/or the Tea Party.

or be a Blue Dog Democrat and/or a Tea Party member and work to become a force in the Democrat party.

In any case, become involved with time and $$.

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

I have sent an email to the WI GOP stating:

On http://www.wisgop.org/gop-principles/platform-resolutions/ , section 2010 – 02 2nd Amendment says "NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that Republican Party of Wisconsin, in caucus assembled, urges the Wisconsin Legislature to adopt legislation permitting law-abiding citizens without a felony record or a record of serious mental health problems to obtain permits to carry concealed weapons;"

At the convention in May of 2010, there was an amendment that passed to strike the 3 word 'obtain permits to'. It passed. The web site has not been updated. Can you please get it updated. Specifically, that section should now read:

"NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that Republican Party of Wisconsin, in caucus assembled, urges the Wisconsin Legislature to adopt legislation permitting law-abiding citizens without a felony record or a record of serious mental health problems to carry concealed weapons;"

Please update it.