• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Win-win A way for the DNR to make a positive contribution to Gun Rights in Wisconsin

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
"Educating kids on the constitutional roots of the right to keep and bear arms."

Arizona has enacted a gun-safety bill for children that breaks new ground. Worth one credit toward a high school diploma, the course requires students to safely discharge a firearm at a target to pass. American high schools used to have firing ranges in the basement, but the tradition began fading in the late 1960s. Gun-rights proponents believe that training and education leads to increased safety and responsible behavior.
Gun safety and the Constitution could become part of Wisconsin's school curriculum if our legislators passed a law like this. The DNR could design the course. We could have a whole new generation of kids in Wisconsin who knew what freedom was all about and wasn't afraid of guns. :banana: This would be a worthy project for us after we get Constitutional Carry passed.

Max

It is a great idea but not left for the DNR or liberal teachers to handle. If I recall, the DNR fired an instructor because he was teaching students that the DNR has no right to violate your 4th amendment rights. Keep the DNR as far away from this as possible. I would prefer the NRA or the Cato institute or the Heritage Foundation design the curricula.

hardballer

It is a great idea but not left for the DNR or liberal teachers to handle. If I recall, the DNR fired an instructor because he was teaching students that the DNR has no right to violate your 4th amendment rights. Keep the DNR as far away from this as possible. I would prefer the NRA or the Cato institute or the Heritage Foundation design the curricula.

Yup. They didn't like that at all. The Dang Near Russians Like their power...

johnny amish

+1. We should try to keep the Dept. of Never ending Regulations as far away from our children as we can.
I think the idea is great and would be worth exploring.

M

McX

if hunting and fishing are recognized as a fundamental right, by our state constitution, it would be nice to see the DNR drop the prices on their licenses to make our rights more affordable to us.

Krusty

Firearms Education

A while back I suggested to WAVE that a good way to prevent accidents and violence would be firearms safety classes in our public schools. I guess they didn't like my idea because that's about the time I got "banned" from their site. I sure didn't see that one coming... haha

jpm84092

NRA's First Steps Course Would Be Perfect

NRA's "First Steps" Course would be a perfect way to teach youngsters over the age of 12 the necessary knowledge, skills, and attitude to safely operate a firearm. The course has a pistol version and a rifle version.

The course teaches the parts of a firearm and what they are called. It teaches ammunition basics and the need to properly match ammunition to a firearm. And, it teaches safe loading and unloading technique using dummy ammunition in the classroom. NRA's Cardinal Rules of safe firearm handling are drilled into each student.

Upon completion of classroom training, students are taken to a range with a 1:1 instructor to student ratio and an NRA Certified Range Safety Officer present. Each student is supervised loading a firearm and discharging it toward a target that does not have human form. (NRA recommends a pie plate or blank paper target that starts out close to the student and is moved farther away as marksmanship skill improves.) Upon successful completion of the course, each student is issued a Certificate by the Instructor.

As a matter of fact, this idea makes so much sense that I am sure the Legislature will ignore it. The Left would rather demonize firearms than teach people at a young age to respect them and use them properly.

goforlow

I took that course (first steps) last October, when I took my NRA instructor course and I have to agree with you 100% on that idea! The first steps course is designed for someone who truly has never used/fired a gun.

Excellent idea!

IcrewUH60

My daughter is 9 years old and she got her first .22 rifle when she was 6. The first thing I taught her was firearm handeling/safety, then how to unload it, then clean it. Finally, I taught her how to load it and how to shoot it. She keeps her own .22 in it's case in her closet. I keep the bolt locked in my room, but she does not know that. She can now shoots water bottles at ~25 meters with my AR-15 all day long :D.

I didn't wait for a public entity to start educating my child about gun ownership, responsibilty, saftey. You know the old saying, If you want something done right....

I do see the other side of the coin though, that there are still a few households that do not have any firearms and the only "example" of gun use is the PS3, XBOX 360, or nightly news... so they may never get the cahnce to properly learn about responsible gun ownership.

So, I do think that Competition Shooting should be an elective in Middle School or High School (not Elementary). It is an Olympic Sport after all. How can that be bad?

"USA Shooting Mission Statement: Prepare American athletes to win Olympic and Paralympic medals, promote the shooting sports throughout the U.S., and govern the conduct of international shooting in the country." source: http://www.usashooting.com/about.php#mission

jpm84092

My daughter is 9 years old and she got her first .22 rifle when she was 6. The first thing I taught her was firearm handeling/safety, then how to unload it, then clean it. Finally, I taught her how to load it and how to shoot it.

You are correct Sir, if you want it to get done right - do it yourself. Unfortunately, for the bulk of American youth, their parents are not as skilled or informed as you are or some of the other parents / grandparents on this forum. A sanctioned class taught by nationally certified instructors certainly fulfills that need.

One of my students is very much like your daughter. Her father shoots competitively and yet he defers to me to instruct his children because he wants them to have the "paper Certificates" documenting their accomplishments before they too enter the competition arena. (And, because he is a "wise man", his wife is also my student.)

I do so wish that the liberals would not be so blind. They do not see that a nation of youth who are educated and taught the knowledge, skills, and attitude to safely handle and shoot firearms is the best cure for the disease that causes misguided youth to pick up firearms and do bad things.

MKEgal

"A way for the DNR to make a positive contribution to gun rights in Wisconsin"

Repeal 167.31?
It's their stupid regulation that somehow picked up the force of law.

Between that & using those gun taxes they've been getting to do what they're supposed to be doing with them (setting up public ranges)...

M

McX

it's a shame too; all the years i'd go get licenses, and always contribute extra for their funding, when asked about that option, but i never saw them add any shooting ranges, only close the one out at Bong AirBase, now fashionably called the Bong Recreation Area.

Last edited: