Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want a Utah permit? You might want to read this.....

Want a Utah permit? You might want to read this.....

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...rmit-bill.html

<snip>
    State senators preliminarily approved a bill that would require out-of-state gun owners to obtain a concealed carry permit in their homes state before applying for one in Utah.

Good.

People need to know the laws of their own state, and the best way to do this is by going through a ccw class specific to their laws and regulations. You can easily get burned by various stupid ccw rules in some states, Nebraska being one of them.
    Last edited by Ryan45cal; 01-30-2011 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Spelling

Activist Member
    So they just want to give a big middle finger to residents of Wisconsin and Illinois?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan45cal View Post
    Good.

People need to know the laws of their own state, and the best way to do this is by going through a ccw class specific to their laws and regulations. You can easily get burned my some stupid ccw rules in some states, Nebraska being one of them.
    And CA? what about those who are stuck there for whatever reason, at the mercy of arbitrary denial of CCW due to CA sheriffs?
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Quote Originally Posted by Darkshadow62988 View Post
    So they just want to give a big middle finger to residents of Wisconsin and Illinois?
    The people that live in Wisconsin and Illinois need to do a better job of getting their states fixed! I hope Utah doesn't change to make it harder to get one of their permits though.
    'Till the last landings made, and we stand unafraid, on a shore not mortal has seen,
    'Till the last bugle call, sounds taps for us all,
    It's Semper Fidelis, MARINE!

From the article,

Nonresidents whose states do not issue gun permits could apply directly to Utah knowing the license would not be good in their home state.

Utah permit

My instructor teaches the class for this. What is the advantage of a Utah Permit, please?

Banned
    I think that they are just trying to prevent folks from using the Utah permit as a substitute for their home State permit. It wouldn't work in AL anyway. The law here specifically states that non-resident permits from other States are not valid for Alabama residents.

Why would UT legislators care if their permits are used to circumvent another states permit law? I would think a little one line tweek to the other states permit law would close that door.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Johnson View Post
    What is the advantage of a Utah Permit?
    Utah and Florida (I think), have the highest number of States that respect their permits. A Utah permit is significantly less expensive to obtain and keep than Florida's. How valuable it is depends on how it replaces or extends your own state's "range."

Utah also has a system for certifying instructors that do not live in State. I am pretty sure you have to go to Florida to get a FL permit.

There is a map that shows permit coverage at handgunlaw.us. For example, it shows that a VA permit allows one to conceal in 30 States, adding a UT permit extends this to 36 States.
    Last edited by architect; 01-30-2011 at 11:59 AM.

Good.

People need to know the laws of their own state, and the best way to do this is by going through a ccw class specific to their laws and regulations. You can easily get burned my some stupid ccw rules in some states, Nebraska being one of them.
    Not all states require a class to obtain a permit...for example PA.

Quote Originally Posted by architect View Post
    Utah and Florida (I think), have the highest number of States that respect their permits. A Utah permit is significantly less expensive to obtain and keep than Florida's. How valuable it is depends on how it replaces or extends your own state's "range."

Utah also has a system for certifying instructors that do not live in State. I am pretty sure you have to go to Florida to get a FL permit.

There is a map that shows permit coverage at handgunlaw.us. For example, it shows that a VA permit allows one to conceal in 30 States, adding a UT permit extends this to 36 States.
    UT and FL can both be had thru the mail. UT does require a UT specific class. FL is $117 every 7 years.

Arizona can also be had thru the mail, has about the same reciprocity and is only $60 initial, $43 renewal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
    And CA? what about those who are stuck there for whatever reason, at the mercy of arbitrary denial of CCW due to CA sheriffs?
    Than the Utah lawmakers should provide an exception to those who live in a may issue state. People should not be able to spend $50 and get an Utah permit by mail, avoiding their home state permit, for several reasons.

People need to know the laws of their own respective state. For instance, my state as an example; a couple years ago cities were able to, and did forbid CCW. They imposed their own restrictions on carrying weapons as well. If you did not know these local ordinances, than it was off to jail for you.

It can also be a class III or class I misdemeanor to go past a 2"x2" sign, since there is only one signage requirement at all, that the sign be conspicuous. Businesses in this state twist that to mean just about anything. If you did not take a class pertaining to the laws of this state, how would you know that?

Also, shooting standards. For states that require a shooting test, getting the Utah permit is an especially easy way out of passing it. When I took my CCW class years ago, there was one guy who asked the instructor if he could take the shooting test with a .22 caliber pistol with a laser mounted. I'm still scared if that guy ever had to shoot in public with a real carry weapon and missed.

People need to have their own state permit, if possible.
    Last edited by Ryan45cal; 01-30-2011 at 01:07 PM.

Snip...
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Not all states require a class to obtain a permit...for example PA.
    I somehow doubt that PA has the carry restrictions that some states, perhaps a lot, do. In Nebraska, I would need a good 15-25 fingers to list off where I can't carry. What about PA?

Slightly off-topic, but I wondered if anyone can tell me what the average turn-around time for a Utah perimt application is? I sent mine in over 2 weeks ago, and I was wondering when I should expect to see my Utah permit in my mailbox...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Activist Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Slightly off-topic, but I wondered if anyone can tell me what the average turn-around time for a Utah perimt application is? I sent mine in over 2 weeks ago, and I was wondering when I should expect to see my Utah permit in my mailbox...
    Most people I talk to say it is about a 3-4 week turn around.

Snip...I somehow doubt that PA has the carry restrictions that some states, perhaps a lot, do. In Nebraska, I would need a good 15-25 fingers to list off where I can't carry. What about PA?
    Court houses and K-12 schools. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    I think that they are just trying to prevent folks from using the Utah permit as a substitute for their home State permit. It wouldn't work in AL anyway. The law here specifically states that non-resident permits from other States are not valid for Alabama residents.
    Could you point me to the reference for this? Being from Alabama and still having family there, this would be information I need to know.

I took a CCW class about a week ago and when we got to the Utah portion of the class, the instructor quoted that Utah had 60 days to process and issue or refuse a permit. He also stated that it was taking about 6 weeks of late to process them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
    Could you point me to the reference for this? Being from Alabama and still having family there, this would be information I need to know.
    Section 13A-11-85
    Reciprocity for licenses issued in other states.

(a) A person licensed to carry a handgun in any state whose laws recognize and give effect in that state to a license issued under the laws of the State of Alabama shall be authorized to carry a handgun in this state. This section shall apply to a licenseholder from another state only while the licenseholder is not a resident of this state. A licenseholder from another state shall carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

(b) The Attorney General shall periodically publish a list of states which meet the requirements of subsection (a).
    (Act 2001-494, p. 862, §1.)
    There ya go.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    There ya go.
    So the way I read that, I would be good to go while visiting Alabama as I am a resident of Minnesota and have both a Minnesota permit (not recognized by AL) and a Utah non-resident which would be recognized as I am not a resident of AL.

Banned
    So the way I read that, I would be good to go while visiting Alabama as I am a resident of Minnesota and have both a Minnesota permit (not recognized by AL) and a Utah non-resident which would be recognized as I am not a resident of AL.
    As I read it, yes. IANAL.

ETA Misread
    Last edited by Timjoebillybob; 02-06-2011 at 01:34 PM.

Correct. AL is not one of the 6 states that only recognize resident permits of the states they honor.

What about VT?
    Quote Originally Posted by streetdoc View Post
    The people that live in Wisconsin and Illinois need to do a better job of getting their states fixed! I hope Utah doesn't change to make it harder to get one of their permits though.
    In the words of a famous man, "We don't need any stinkin permits!" Why do we need a government issued privilege card, where we can be regulated? Constitutional Carry is the only way to go!
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

60 days by statute. I've had students that have theirs in 30-45 and some take the full 60.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast