• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Want a Utah permit? You might want to read this.....

eye95

So the way I read that, I would be good to go while visiting Alabama as I am a resident of Minnesota and have both a Minnesota permit (not recognized by AL) and a Utah non-resident which would be recognized as I am not a resident of AL.

As I read it, yes. IANAL.

mrjam2jab

So the way I read that, I would be good to go while visiting Alabama as I am a resident of Minnesota and have both a Minnesota permit (not recognized by AL) and a Utah non-resident which would be recognized as I am not a resident of AL.

Correct. AL is not one of the 6 states that only recognize resident permits of the states they honor.

protias

So they just want to give a big middle finger to residents of Wisconsin and Illinois?
What about VT?
The people that live in Wisconsin and Illinois need to do a better job of getting their states fixed! I hope Utah doesn't change to make it harder to get one of their permits though.
In the words of a famous man, "We don't need any stinkin permits!" Why do we need a government issued privilege card, where we can be regulated? Constitutional Carry is the only way to go!

Vanns40

Slightly off-topic, but I wondered if anyone can tell me what the average turn-around time for a Utah perimt application is? I sent mine in over 2 weeks ago, and I was wondering when I should expect to see my Utah permit in my mailbox...

60 days by statute. I've had students that have theirs in 30-45 and some take the full 60.

rpyne

Before you jump to conclusions about the proposed change to the Utah CFP, please take the time to read the bill, http://le.utah.gov/~2011/htmdoc/sbillhtm/SB0036S01.htm an to look into the reason it s being proposed.

I am a Utah resident, and from a purely RKBA point of view, I am not fond of the move, but I do understand why it is being proposed. The first responsibility of the Utah legislature is to protect the rights of Utah residents. In this case, that means doing whatever it takes to maintain the value, i.e. reciprocity, of the Utah permit.

Even though you will read many arguments to the contrary, last year Nevada stopped recognizing the Utah permit because it was losing revenue to the Utah permit. Yes, I have heard all of the arguments about the Utah requirements not meeting Nevada law, but that is pure hogwash. The Utah statutory requirement is almost word for word the same as the Nevada permit. The truth of it is that Nevada vested the power to interpret those requirements to the Police Chiefs and Sheriffs Association, whose members are directly affected by the revenue from permit fees.

We have been hearing similar things from other states threatening to revoke their recognition of the Utah permit if they continue to lose revenue to Utah. I agree, that it should be up to those states to fix it if they have a problem, the the reality is that it is much easier for them to drop recognition than to change their laws to require a resident permit for their residents.

The language of the bill specifies that it applies only to residents of states the either recognize the Utah permit or have a reciprocity agreement with Utah.

74 (4) (a) In addition to meeting the other qualifications for the issuance of a concealed
75 firearm permit under this section, a nonresident applicant shall:
76 (i) hold a current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit issued by the
77 appropriate permitting authority of the nonresident applicant's state of residency that recognizes
78 the validity of the Utah permit in that state or has reciprocity with Utah's concealed firearm
79 permit law; and
80 (ii) submit a photocopy or electronic copy of the nonresident applicant's current
81 concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit referred to in Subsection (4)(a)(i).
82 (b) A nonresident applicant who knowingly and willfully provides false information to
83 the bureau under Subsection (4)(a) is prohibited from holding a Utah concealed firearm permit
84 for a period of 10 years.
85 (c) Beginning January 1, 2012, Subsection (4)(a) also applies to an application for
86 renewal of a concealed firearm permit by a nonresident.

Since states like VT do not formally recognize the Utah permit, residents of VT and similar states are not subject to the requirement. Neither are residents of states like CA that are may issue and do not recognize the Utah permit.

To add to this, there is a bill in process to make Utah a constitutional carry state.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
I've toyed with getting a Utah permit for one reason -- Washington doesn't recognize the Alaska permit but they do recognize the Utah non-resident permit. I have no idea what the logic is for that. From Alaska, we travel through Washington a lot and it would be nice to be able to carry.

1245A Defender

well,,,

its weired that washington doesnt accept alaska,
because many hard a$$ states do, nevada, colorado, and south carolina,
are hard to CC in, and have higher qualification requirements, but
they take alaska,, go figure!

actually you should just get the washington non resident CPL!
its cheaper, and supper easier to get, and the utah CPL wont give you
any more benefits than the washington, and the alaska you already have!

Last edited:

mrjam2jab

The language of the bill specifies that it applies only to residents of states the either recognize the Utah permit or have a reciprocity agreement with Utah.

Since states like VT do not formally recognize the Utah permit, residents of VT and similar states are not subject to the requirement. Neither are residents of states like CA that are may issue and do not recognize the Utah permit.

77 appropriate permitting authority of the nonresident applicant's state of residency that recognizes
78 the validity of the Utah permit in that state or has reciprocity with Utah's concealed firearm
79 permit law;

But....VT does recognize the UT permit....the bill doesn't say "formally" recognize, as in formal written agreement...