• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Want a Utah permit? You might want to read this.....

Ryan45cal

Good.

People need to know the laws of their own state, and the best way to do this is by going through a ccw class specific to their laws and regulations. You can easily get burned by various stupid ccw rules in some states, Nebraska being one of them.

Last edited:

Tawnos

Good.

People need to know the laws of their own state, and the best way to do this is by going through a ccw class specific to their laws and regulations. You can easily get burned my some stupid ccw rules in some states, Nebraska being one of them.

And CA? what about those who are stuck there for whatever reason, at the mercy of arbitrary denial of CCW due to CA sheriffs?

Badger Johnson

Utah permit

My instructor teaches the class for this. What is the advantage of a Utah Permit, please?

eye95

I think that they are just trying to prevent folks from using the Utah permit as a substitute for their home State permit. It wouldn't work in AL anyway. The law here specifically states that non-resident permits from other States are not valid for Alabama residents.

lockman

State Researcher
Why would UT legislators care if their permits are used to circumvent another states permit law? I would think a little one line tweek to the other states permit law would close that door.

architect

What is the advantage of a Utah Permit?

Utah and Florida (I think), have the highest number of States that respect their permits. A Utah permit is significantly less expensive to obtain and keep than Florida's. How valuable it is depends on how it replaces or extends your own state's "range."

Utah also has a system for certifying instructors that do not live in State. I am pretty sure you have to go to Florida to get a FL permit.

There is a map that shows permit coverage at handgunlaw.us. For example, it shows that a VA permit allows one to conceal in 30 States, adding a UT permit extends this to 36 States.

Last edited:

mrjam2jab

Good.

People need to know the laws of their own state, and the best way to do this is by going through a ccw class specific to their laws and regulations. You can easily get burned my some stupid ccw rules in some states, Nebraska being one of them.

Not all states require a class to obtain a permit...for example PA.

Utah and Florida (I think), have the highest number of States that respect their permits. A Utah permit is significantly less expensive to obtain and keep than Florida's. How valuable it is depends on how it replaces or extends your own state's "range."

Utah also has a system for certifying instructors that do not live in State. I am pretty sure you have to go to Florida to get a FL permit.

There is a map that shows permit coverage at handgunlaw.us. For example, it shows that a VA permit allows one to conceal in 30 States, adding a UT permit extends this to 36 States.

UT and FL can both be had thru the mail. UT does require a UT specific class. FL is $117 every 7 years.

Arizona can also be had thru the mail, has about the same reciprocity and is only $60 initial, $43 renewal.

Ryan45cal

And CA? what about those who are stuck there for whatever reason, at the mercy of arbitrary denial of CCW due to CA sheriffs?
Than the Utah lawmakers should provide an exception to those who live in a may issue state. People should not be able to spend $50 and get an Utah permit by mail, avoiding their home state permit, for several reasons.

People need to know the laws of their own respective state. For instance, my state as an example; a couple years ago cities were able to, and did forbid CCW. They imposed their own restrictions on carrying weapons as well. If you did not know these local ordinances, than it was off to jail for you.

It can also be a class III or class I misdemeanor to go past a 2"x2" sign, since there is only one signage requirement at all, that the sign be conspicuous. Businesses in this state twist that to mean just about anything. If you did not take a class pertaining to the laws of this state, how would you know that?

Also, shooting standards. For states that require a shooting test, getting the Utah permit is an especially easy way out of passing it. When I took my CCW class years ago, there was one guy who asked the instructor if he could take the shooting test with a .22 caliber pistol with a laser mounted. I'm still scared if that guy ever had to shoot in public with a real carry weapon and missed.

People need to have their own state permit, if possible.

Last edited:

Dreamer

Slightly off-topic, but I wondered if anyone can tell me what the average turn-around time for a Utah perimt application is? I sent mine in over 2 weeks ago, and I was wondering when I should expect to see my Utah permit in my mailbox...

Darkshadow62988

Activist Member
Slightly off-topic, but I wondered if anyone can tell me what the average turn-around time for a Utah perimt application is? I sent mine in over 2 weeks ago, and I was wondering when I should expect to see my Utah permit in my mailbox...

Most people I talk to say it is about a 3-4 week turn around.

Daddyo

I think that they are just trying to prevent folks from using the Utah permit as a substitute for their home State permit. It wouldn't work in AL anyway. The law here specifically states that non-resident permits from other States are not valid for Alabama residents.

Could you point me to the reference for this? Being from Alabama and still having family there, this would be information I need to know.

Nevada carrier

I took a CCW class about a week ago and when we got to the Utah portion of the class, the instructor quoted that Utah had 60 days to process and issue or refuse a permit. He also stated that it was taking about 6 weeks of late to process them.

eye95

Could you point me to the reference for this? Being from Alabama and still having family there, this would be information I need to know.

Section 13A-11-85
Reciprocity for licenses issued in other states.

(a) A person licensed to carry a handgun in any state whose laws recognize and give effect in that state to a license issued under the laws of the State of Alabama shall be authorized to carry a handgun in this state. This section shall apply to a licenseholder from another state only while the licenseholder is not a resident of this state. A licenseholder from another state shall carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

(b) The Attorney General shall periodically publish a list of states which meet the requirements of subsection (a).
(Act 2001-494, p. 862, §1.)

There ya go.

Daddyo

There ya go.
So the way I read that, I would be good to go while visiting Alabama as I am a resident of Minnesota and have both a Minnesota permit (not recognized by AL) and a Utah non-resident which would be recognized as I am not a resident of AL.