• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to Utah

Marshall.K9

Hello All,

My name is John and I am a new resident of Utah and am about to make my first handgun purchase. I have chosen a Ruger P-Series as my initial purchase and will open carry said pistol. I am posting this because I was just looking for some experienced handgun owners and open carry persons near Pleasant Grove to give some advice as well as maybe mentor me a bit in TRUE handgun manners. I have some experience with firearms but am honestly still a novice. I would appreciate replies or email specifically from people willing to help. I do appreciate your time in reading this and look forward to hearing from you all.

Thank you,

John

colormered

Welcome to Utah!!!

Though I don't live anywhere near you, I would like to be the first to welcome you to the state and to the forum. I'm certain you will find all the help you are seeking here.

Again, WELCOME!

Marshall.K9

Thank You

Thanks for your welcome. I hope to learn a lot from this forum as well as the educated residents of this State. I am throughly impressed with what I have seen thus far.

John

JoeSparky

Centurion
I am also in Pleasant Grove. We have a fairly active group of folks who OC in Utah and Salt Lake Counties. We also have a fairly regular get-together at local eateries for some good camaraderie, fellowship, gun talk, and gentle teasing.

I will recommend you acquire a book on Utah gun laws by Mitch Vilos (Criminal Defense Attorney specializing in firearms related cases). He has a new edition that will be out shortly after our Utah State Legislature adjourns for the year. If you can find the previous edition--- UTAH GUN LAW 3rd edition it is MOSTLY accurate but doesn't have some of the legislative changes made in the last 2-3 years

This is a good forum, but there is another one that I'll recommend to you.... Don't get put off by the name as they are very open to carry NO MATTER the form as long as it is legal. www.utahconcealedcarry.com

You can send me a pm with your phone number and I'll be glad to call you at a convenient time. Or you are more than welcome to even come to one of our events incognito (same time/same location) and just watch...

One absolute rule when OC'ing---- the gun NEVER leaves the holster in public unless you really think that you may immediately need to defend yourself especially if it is loaded! This way we minimize the risk of negligent discharges! Some, including me, have brought a "show off" piece that is fully unloaded--- muzzle discipline is exercised at all times with all weapons!

JoeSparky

Centurion
Looks like Colormered beat me to the punch in welcoming you.... as I think I forgot to welcome you formally in my earlier post....

Welcome From PLEASANT GROVE!

Fixed that.

Marshall.K9

Thank You

Joe,

I do appreciate your welcome and the advice as well. :) I do plan to become an active member of the gun carrying community as soon as I feel comfortable with my knowledge and abilities with my gun as well as a number of others. I was raised around firearms and have a true respect for them. In saying that I will surely be looking into the reading material you suggested.

Thanks,

John

utbagpiper

Banned
Hello All,

My name is John and I am a new resident of Utah and am about to make my first handgun purchase. I.....

John,

Welcome to Utah, and to the gun owning community.

In addition to your involvement in the on-line forums, I highly suggest you get involved with the local pro-gun / pro-RKBA organizations.

Gun Owners of Utah (GOUtah!) is a no-fees, grassroots organization that keeps its readers involved of legislative happenings. We ask no more than an occasional email, phone call, or letter to elected officials, and your involvement in Utah's political process. Sign up for free email alerts at goutahorg.org

The Utah Shooting Sports Association is a formally organized pro-RKBA group here in Utah. Their membership dues are very modest. Visit their web page at http://utahshootingsports.com/

There are also pistol collector groups, gun groups from women, even a gun group for the homosexual/transgender community here in Utah.

You should also get involved with the political party of your choice. In Utah County, you will be most effective if you are involved with the Republican Party. We are mid cycle in terms of neighborhood caucus meetings at which delegates are elected. But if you ask around you can find out who the "Precinct Chairman" is in your neighborhood. Ask if there is anything you can do to be involved for the next year.

All the best.

Charles

cdrhoad

Welcome! I Grew up in Lindon and am currently living in Lehi. If you ever need an OC buddy let us know. You can catch me on the other mentioned forum more often, but either way. PM's are always welcomed if you need advice, guidance or support!

-Caleb

jpm84092

Welcome to Utah John

Welcome to Utah John. I myself have only been a Utah resident for just over two (2) years, but I love the geography and the gun owning community here is awesome. There are many fine firearms instructors in Utah and many post on this forum.

After you have open carry down, perhaps you will consider concealed carry as well.

jpm84092

Welcome! I Grew up in Lindon and am currently living in Lehi. If you ever need an OC buddy let us know. You can catch me on the other mentioned forum more often, but either way. PM's are always welcomed if you need advice, guidance or support!

-Caleb

Same with me, just PM me.

By the way, Caleb and I took our NRA and BCI Instructor courses together and we have taught together. Caleb is a fine instructor and I recommend him highly.