• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

East Side OC Report

boosteddreams

Payless Shoe Source = DNP

I OCd into the Payless at 2130 148th Avenue NE in Redmond to look for new work shoes. I was greeted by two employees when I walked in, one of whom noticed the gun immediately but said nothing about it. I started looking for my size and within a minute or two the gal who'd noticed came over to me and asked if I was a cop. I said no, and she told me they didn't allow anyone who wasn't "authorized to carry a gun" do so in the store. I told her I was (between the state constitution and my CPL I'm pretty sure I qualify) and she stumbled over her words, then clarified that only on-duty law enforcement could carry. I asked if it was company policy, she said it was, and I asked for the contact info of the corporate office.

I followed her to the front counter (which she'd indicated she wanted me to do) and waited for her to look it up. She couldn't find it there and went into the back to find a handbook. The second employee was also at the front counter the whole time, never said a word to me, and never made eye contact. The first employee returned with a copy of the employee handbook and showed me where it said weapons weren't allowed. I asked if that was just for employees (since most of them are - being employee handbooks and all) and she said no, the rules applied to the entire store. She gave me the number for the corporate office and I left. BTW, there were no stickers/signs/etc. anywhere around the store.

Unfortunately, I still haven't found the shoes and need to find a new source of cheap shoes in wide widths!

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I OCd into the Payless at 2130 148th Avenue NE in Redmond to look for new work shoes. I was greeted by two employees when I walked in, one of whom noticed the gun immediately but said nothing about it. I started looking for my size and within a minute or two the gal who'd noticed came over to me and asked if I was a cop. I said no, and she told me they didn't allow anyone who wasn't "authorized to carry a gun" do so in the store. I told her I was (between the state constitution and my CPL I'm pretty sure I qualify) and she stumbled over her words, then clarified that only on-duty law enforcement could carry. I asked if it was company policy, she said it was, and I asked for the contact info of the corporate office.

I followed her to the front counter (which she'd indicated she wanted me to do) and waited for her to look it up. She couldn't find it there and went into the back to find a handbook. The second employee was also at the front counter the whole time, never said a word to me, and never made eye contact. The first employee returned with a copy of the employee handbook and showed me where it said weapons weren't allowed. I asked if that was just for employees (since most of them are - being employee handbooks and all) and she said no, the rules applied to the entire store. She gave me the number for the corporate office and I left. BTW, there were no stickers/signs/etc. anywhere around the store.

Unfortunately, I still haven't found the shoes and need to find a new source of cheap shoes in wide widths!

Please follow up. Having worked for and managed several national chain stores I will guarantee you that it is ONLY a policy relating to employees and vendors and NOT customers. This is a prime example of ignorance, social bigotry and poor customer service. I have instructed my employees that they are to capture every sale and not let any customer leave my store without a purchase. The economy is too tight to let customers leave without buying.