Thread: Every State has a flower, why not gun?

Every State has a flower, why not gun?

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/26...t-a-state-gun/

Utah may adopt a state gun

January 26th, 2011
    06:38 PM ET
    Utah has a state flower, a state fossil, a state cooking pot and 21 other official symbols. It might soon add a state gun.

The state House passed a measure Wednesday, by a 51-19 vote, that would make the Browning M1911 pistol - designed by Utah’s John Moses Browning in the early 20th century - the state firearm. The bill now goes to the state Senate.

The bill's sponsor, Republican Rep. Carl Wimmer, has said the measure aims to honor Browning. His M1911 was used as a standard U.S. Army sidearm from 1911 to 1985, according to the Browning manufacturing company's website and Jane's Infantry Weapons.

The measure has attracted criticism from anti-gun activists and some state House members. Some lawmakers argued in debate Wednesday that it was insensitive after the January 8 shooting in Tucson, Arizona, that killed six and wounded 13, including U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, according to The Salt Lake Tribune.

One state lawmaker, Democratic Rep. Carol Moss, said during Wednesday's debate on the House floor that in addition to her concerns regarding the Arizona shooting, she was worried that children would see things such as coloring books featuring the gun along with the other state symbols, the Tribune reported.

Steve Gunn of the Gun Violence Prevention Center told CNN affiliate KSL last month - before the Tuscon shooting - that he thought the proposal was in bad taste.

"I would nominate arsenic as our state poison, because, of course arsenic is often a byproduct of our state mining industry," Gunn sarcastically told KSL in December.

Wimmer told KSL this week that "this pistol is Utah," and its history "is emblazoned on our state." He added that rather than gloryfying an implement of death, as he said some critics charged, "we're glorifying an implement of freedom that has defended us for 100 years."

During Wednesday's debate, one lawmaker suggested erecting a statue of Browning instead, but Wimmer countered that his plan was the only way to honor the gun designer without costing taxpayers, the Tribune reported.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/26...t-a-state-gun/
    Exo 22:2 "If anyone catches a thief breaking in and hits him so that he dies, he is not guilty of murder.
    Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luk 11:21 "When a strong man, with all his weapons ready, guards his own house, all his belongings are safe.

Banned

Muosquito for our summers, camo for the winters

I personally think objects people actually use more often would be worth nominating for this first. Such as a hammer or beverage. But considering that it's Utah, it would be a great tribute to John Browning, and an exceptionally good pro gun propaganda idea. I'm all for it.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    I personally think objects people actually use more often would be worth nominating for this first. Such as a hammer or beverage. But considering that it's Utah, it would be a great tribute to John Browning, and an exceptionally good pro gun propaganda idea. I'm all for it.
    We discussed this on our talk show. What gun would best represent Michigan? Keep in mind you want something common or unique to Michigan.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Answer: Since no other state can lay claim to the 1911 and since Utah has already done so, no other state would want a state gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    We discussed this on our talk show. What gun would best represent Michigan? Keep in mind you want something common or unique to Michigan.
    Probably an 870, since it is the shotgun used to hunt deer more often than anything else.

In terms of Michigan designed, the only one I can think of is the Stinger pen gun.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA

State gun

I saw it in a bar one time, it was a Remington single shot with a rear-view mirror and a five cell taped under the barrel. Just kidding.springerdave.