• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Every State has a flower, why not gun?

Bailenforcer

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/26/utah-may-adopt-a-state-gun/

Utah may adopt a state gun

January 26th, 2011
06:38 PM ET
Utah has a state flower, a state fossil, a state cooking pot and 21 other official symbols. It might soon add a state gun.

The state House passed a measure Wednesday, by a 51-19 vote, that would make the Browning M1911 pistol - designed by Utah’s John Moses Browning in the early 20th century - the state firearm. The bill now goes to the state Senate.

The bill's sponsor, Republican Rep. Carl Wimmer, has said the measure aims to honor Browning. His M1911 was used as a standard U.S. Army sidearm from 1911 to 1985, according to the Browning manufacturing company's website and Jane's Infantry Weapons.

The measure has attracted criticism from anti-gun activists and some state House members. Some lawmakers argued in debate Wednesday that it was insensitive after the January 8 shooting in Tucson, Arizona, that killed six and wounded 13, including U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, according to The Salt Lake Tribune.

One state lawmaker, Democratic Rep. Carol Moss, said during Wednesday's debate on the House floor that in addition to her concerns regarding the Arizona shooting, she was worried that children would see things such as coloring books featuring the gun along with the other state symbols, the Tribune reported.

Steve Gunn of the Gun Violence Prevention Center told CNN affiliate KSL last month - before the Tuscon shooting - that he thought the proposal was in bad taste.

"I would nominate arsenic as our state poison, because, of course arsenic is often a byproduct of our state mining industry," Gunn sarcastically told KSL in December.

Wimmer told KSL this week that "this pistol is Utah," and its history "is emblazoned on our state." He added that rather than gloryfying an implement of death, as he said some critics charged, "we're glorifying an implement of freedom that has defended us for 100 years."

During Wednesday's debate, one lawmaker suggested erecting a statue of Browning instead, but Wimmer countered that his plan was the only way to honor the gun designer without costing taxpayers, the Tribune reported.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/26/utah-may-adopt-a-state-gun/

stainless1911

Banned
Muosquito for our summers, camo for the winters

Mos-WD-L-Detail.jpg

Michigander

I personally think objects people actually use more often would be worth nominating for this first. Such as a hammer or beverage. But considering that it's Utah, it would be a great tribute to John Browning, and an exceptionally good pro gun propaganda idea. I'm all for it.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I personally think objects people actually use more often would be worth nominating for this first. Such as a hammer or beverage. But considering that it's Utah, it would be a great tribute to John Browning, and an exceptionally good pro gun propaganda idea. I'm all for it.

We discussed this on our talk show. What gun would best represent Michigan? Keep in mind you want something common or unique to Michigan.

Michigander

We discussed this on our talk show. What gun would best represent Michigan? Keep in mind you want something common or unique to Michigan.

Probably an 870, since it is the shotgun used to hunt deer more often than anything else.

In terms of Michigan designed, the only one I can think of is the Stinger pen gun.