• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best recording device while OC/CC ing

Chap

I've read quite a few posts where using a recording device helped.

I have an Iphone, I'll have my mic running once I get approached. The phone
times out - locks so the LEO won't be able to tell that it's recording nor will they
be capable of turning off the phone. (except by hard booting the phone)

Questions:
1) Other than a cell phone, which recording device is best? Please list which device either video, audio or combination of both you would buy regardless of price. (not what you carry, I'm asking what is the very best recorder. If you had my credit card, :lol: what would you buy for yourself)

I guess a device with a large memory capacity, long battery life, locking feature, compact easy to carry, easy to navigate menu functions would be on my want list. Any other option feature that you would find valuables?

2) Is there a web site which list all the states as too whether it's lawful to video or audio record an LEO encounter? If not I'd like to ask the owners of opencarry.org to consider adding another map showing this important info.

In advance let me thank each person who response to this post, I'm sure we will all benefit from your responses.

Chap

Last edited:

swinokur

Activist Member
2) Is there a web site which list all the states as too whether it's lawful to video or audio record an LEO encounter? If not I'd like to ask the owners of opencarry.org to consider adding another map showing this important info.

In advance let me thank each person who response to this post, I'm sure we will all benefit from your responses.

Chap

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/states.html

Tess

Founder's Club Member
For my money, the best recording device I've found so far is the sansa clip. I have both the 2GB and the 8GB models.

The other day I recorded my State Delegate/Senator TownHall and Bash the Republicans session. My Senator is ill, and has the voice of a shy 2nd grader, but I was able to listen to her comments though I recorded from about 8-10 rows back. Without music on it, I easily got the 2+-hour session; I believe the 8GB holds 16 hours of recording. I have recorded 2+ hours on the 2GB version.

I clip it on my collar or pocket and go. If I want to be discreet, I simply plug in the earphones, and it appears I have just an MP3 player with me.

Chap

Thanks Tess

Well the price is fair, covert recording device. (MP3 player like my Iphone doesn't jump out and scream recording device).

I've been leaning toward the Bloggie Touch Camera - 8GB, approx. 4 hours video recording for around $150 - $200. This cam corder/audio recorder was recommended on another post.

Software
Operating System Compatibility : Windows: Windows® XP SP3 (32bit only), Windows Vista® SP1, Windows 7 Mac (via download): Macintosh® OS X v10.5, Macintosh® OS X v10.6

I have Windows Vista 64 bit operating system. (I'd have to call to ensure it works on my laptop since it's 64 bit)

I really like this recording device since its one button to turn on and record for hrs. It would be perfect if it would have locked after turning on.

I'm still hoping someone out there has the perfect recording device. I'd hate to buy something and find out I could have gotten something better. I figured I'd ask and wait for feedback.

Chap

Last edited:

Deanimator

For my money, the best recording device I've found so far is the sansa clip. I have both the 2GB and the 8GB models.
I carry a Sansa 2GB. It has excellent recording quality.

A couple of years ago, I did a favor for a lawyer friend and took some pictures of a couple of knucklehead anti-abortion protesters who were TRYING to cause traffic accidents in front of the office building where he works. Even in the change pocket of my jeans, the sound quality was excellent. It just needed the levels boosted at little on playback.

CalicoJack10

I actually keep a Philips GoGear 2gig handy. It is small enough to hang around my neck and as I recall I only paid like $30 for it at walmart. It records great audio, and compresses it so I can get hours of talk on it.