• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shell Gas station

Ivan Sample

I just want to say that I walk into the Shell gas station on first and Jefferson street. I was open carrying when I had a clerk approach me and asked if I was a Police Officer. I told her no-why? She told me that we don't allow open carry or conceal carry in the store. She told me that there was a sign on the door. I remind you that I have open carried and conceal carry in this store five other times and didn't see any signs doing those times. See attachment of sign that I took with my cellphone camera. I will be contacting the manager of this store to see when this sign went up and even contacting the Shell Coroporation and see what is there policy. In the mean time I will not be buying anything from them. I will just have to go to Thortons.

Attachments

• shell.jpg
    shell.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 672
Last edited:

mastiff69

http://www.shell.us/home/content/usa/aboutshell/who_we_are/supplier_diversity/policy/

Contact tCorporate directly, then if they have(NO) policy against legal firearms being carried on there property to conduct business.
Take that copy and place it in the hands of the shell station owner and inform them that they are in violation of Corp. policy.
Oh if you find, that Corp. have no policy against firearms and that they allow them, then send them a copy of the pic of the door and the address of the store and see if that sign comes down quickly !

aadvark

Concealed Carry is NOT the same thing as Open Carry.

Hence, Open Carry is NOT Prohibited.

If such Rule Violates Company Policy, then..., such Rule is Null and Void.

Ivan Sample

I just spoke to a rep. who says that I will have to go through her to talk to the store Manager. She said that they are independent but sells Shell's gas and have the right to refuse services. Its kind of funny because when I call to speak to the Manager. She said, "is this the guy from yesterday who was carrying a gun on his side". I told yes, how did you know and she told me that she was expecting a call when she saw me take the picture. She went on to say that it was aganist the law for me to be carrying a gun out in the open. I had to remind her that Kentucky is a Gold Star state for open carry. She got mad at me and said, "that if I wasn't a Police Officer or Correction Officer that I will not be allow in the store. I told her that is fine and that I want come back. I also told her that I am going to let OC's know about this and that they might be losing business over this. She went on to say that she don't care and hung up the phone on me.

NoHadji

Whats funny is that she is confused if she thinks that sign means anything to a CCDW holder. I love this commonwealth.

MKEgal

The sign says nothing about openly carried personal protective devices.
Will be interested to see what the owner & corporate have to say.
(And why do people have locks on doors when they could just put up a sign saying "no stealing" or "keep out"? I mean, if it works for weapons surely it'd work for other situations, right?)

Ivan Sample

I tried getting in contact with the owner and this same lady keep answer the phone. She tells me that the only way I could talk to the owner is I will have to go through her. Maybe I should go in person and asked to speak to the owner but I don't want to seem like a pest. Any suggestion on how I should handle this because I want to see what he will have to say. The last thing I want is for LMPD to get call on me.

NoHadji

I would try asking the corporate folks about contact info for the owner. Tell them you have a serious service issue that keeps getting stonewalled by a rogue employee. You don't have to mention that it is firearms related. I would venture to guess though that the owner of the store knows about the sign and has allowed it to be posted. These fing sheeple are so stupid though to think that this will change a damn thing. That smug little liberal POS would be begging for your help if they were robbed, assaulted and raped at gunpoint.

I too usually try to avoid places that want to infringe on my rights, but with young kids at times there is no other choice but to spend my money at some of these places. I of course laugh at their damn signs and could care less what they think. I will never allow trash like that to tell me I can't protect my family.

Last edited:

neuroblades

Where's The Problem?

I fail to see the issue here, it all seems very simple.

Open Carry is NOT Concealed Carry!
Concealed means CONCEALED!

Of course we already know that if someone tries to OC in this business, they will be met with extreme negative verbal force even thought they shouldn't be on any level.

Even though I don't like it and I'm sure no one else here does either, places of businesses have the right to refuse OC/CC'ers. Hopefully someday soon this foolishness will be outlawed

Someone should try OC at this place of business to see just what happens. If they say or do nothing then there's really no issue. OC'ers could OC and CC'ers just overlook the signage.

Ivan Sample

For me every the store has the right to allow or disallow OC in their store. Just like I have the right to spend my money there. I have no problem with that or even when they post the wrong signage on their door. I just wanted members here to be aware of this store and where it goes from here is where ever it goes.

neuroblades

I just spoke to a rep. who says that I will have to go through her to talk to the store Manager. She said that they are independent but sells Shell's gas and have the right to refuse services. Its kind of funny because when I call to speak to the Manager. She said, "is this the guy from yesterday who was carrying a gun on his side". I told yes, how did you know and she told me that she was expecting a call when she saw me take the picture. She went on to say that it was aganist the law for me to be carrying a gun out in the open. I had to remind her that Kentucky is a Gold Star state for open carry. She got mad at me and said, "that if I wasn't a Police Officer or Correction Officer that I will not be allow in the store. I told her that is fine and that I want come back. I also told her that I am going to let OC's know about this and that they might be losing business over this. She went on to say that she don't care and hung up the phone on me.

Ivan, please add this to the following site:

http://www.friendorfoe.us/

Alexandria

It'd be funny as hell to see an employee trying to point out the sign to the guy who robs the place at gun point!:banghead:

I don't get the logic behind this, someone care to explain? Just what truly makes them think criminals will follow their orders too?

For example, I have a friend who told me I can't bring a gun to her house (CC in FL). I was like okay so you think the robbers are going to respect your wishes too? I sat through the class and practice several times a week at the shooting range. I would like to think I have better control of a gun than a criminal.

neuroblades

I don't get the logic behind this, someone care to explain? Just what truly makes them think criminals will follow their orders too?

For example, I have a friend who told me I can't bring a gun to her house (CC in FL). I was like okay so you think the robbers are going to respect your wishes too? I sat through the class and practice several times a week at the shooting range. I would like to think I have better control of a gun than a criminal.

I had the same issue with some people making te same statement when I used to carry in Florida many years ago, they didn't know what I did for a living and therefore made assumptions. I told them that while I thought that they were being short-sighted, I would respect their wishes and I did. In time they grew tried of having to always coming out to meet me when they wanted to hang out. They odd thing about it all, they never had an issue with coming to my place and I had many weapons at my places versus the 2 that I EDC'ed.

All I can say is, people are strange!

Last edited:

Alexandria

I had the same issue with some people making te same statement when I used to carry in Florida many years ago, they didn't know what I did for a living and therefore made assumptions. I told them that while I thought that they were being short-sighted, I would respect their wishes and I did. In time they grew tried of having to always coming out to meet me when they wanted to hang out. They odd thing about it all, they never had an issue with coming to my place and I had many weapons at my places versus the 2 that I EDC'ed.

All I can say is, people are strange!

I am waiting for my permit since I sent out the paperwork 2 days ago after attending the CWP class. But I already bought a gun and as soon as the permit comes, I am carrying it which is why I told a few close people so they know. Only 2 people have told me they have a problem with me bringing it to their home so I was very polite in explaining that I respect their home and decision but I feel that this is my right to LEGALLY carry a gun and therefore, they can either meet me somewhere or they can come to my home.

Funny thing, my in-laws are from Honduras but have been green card holders for alomst 10 years. In their country, guns are normal when men are carrying, a woman though? No way. So they are a little freaked about it. Not about the gun in their home, but about a WOMAN carrying a gun in their home. Go figure.

Ivan Sample

I am waiting for my permit since I sent out the paperwork 2 days ago after attending the CWP class. But I already bought a gun and as soon as the permit comes, I am carrying it which is why I told a few close people so they know. Only 2 people have told me they have a problem with me bringing it to their home so I was very polite in explaining that I respect their home and decision but I feel that this is my right to LEGALLY carry a gun and therefore, they can either meet me somewhere or they can come to my home.

Funny thing, my in-laws are from Honduras but have been green card holders for alomst 10 years. In their country, guns are normal when men are carrying, a woman though? No way. So they are a little freaked about it. Not about the gun in their home, but about a WOMAN carrying a gun in their home. Go figure.

You live here in USA and women have just as much rights as a men does!