• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ayoob Ayoob Ayoob..*shakes head*

Beretta92FSLady

"The good person carrying a handgun, particularly if they are wearing it in a plain sight, always has to worry about a violent criminal attempting to disarm them and murder them or others with their own weapon." ~Ayoob (American Handgunner, Mar/Apr 2011, p32)

A little context: The article is discussing carrying sidearms that have a manual safety, and whether it behooves the person carrying to carry their sidearm with the safety "on." He then gives examples of officers that have been saved by having the safety "on," and how he could not find any instances where the officer had forgotten to turn the safety to the "off" position during a engagement.

Is this a shot at OC'rs--that he repeat one of the biggest anti-OC'r arguments out there--that OC'r might get their sidearm taken from them while carrying in the open? Some violent criminal is going to walk up to you, take your sidearm and shoot you and everyone around you to death *shivers*!

Ayoob opens with a reference to civilian OC/CC, then uses examples of LEO's who were in the fight of their life to retain their sidearm. Do civilians have the same level of "gun grab" threat as LEO's? I think not! I have read(e) about gun grab attempts and successes against LEO's, but nothing paper worthy levied against a citizen who is OC/CC'ing.

I should add, the S&W .500 MAGNUM on the front of the magazine is freaking sweet!

Last edited:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I've heard of him making similar statements in the past, leading me to believe he doesn't "see the need for" open carry.

It's an opinion.

I challenge him, as anyone else, to cite a verifiable instance where this has happened. Just the fact that he's Ayoob doesn't sway me.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
"The good person carrying a handgun (openly).... always has to WORRY about....."

I try not to worry, as it wastes valuable mental energy. I weigh the risks versus the benefits as I understand them, make a decision, then do what I think is wisest. I am situationally aware, avoid risky places, have a holster with a retention strap, and am familiar with retention strategies. I'm no special forces type, but don't need to be in my boring civilian lifestyle. OC and CC both work for me.

When I put on my seatbelt, I don't WORRY that it might jam if my car catches fire or plunges into the bay, even though these things have happened to people. Statistically I am safer with it on than off, so I go with that.

Ayoob was (is?) an LEO, and some of these folks have a negative attitude about mere citizens OCing, thinking thay can't handle such a special responsibility. Many felt the same way about CC when it first became feasible.

Phoenix David

"The good person carrying a handgun, particularly if they are wearing it in a plain sight, always has to worry about a violent criminal attempting to disarm them and murder them or others with their own weapon." ~Ayoob (American Handgunner, Mar/Apr 2011, p32)

Yes if you are OC'ing you should be concerned about a gun snatch. Doesn't mean you shouldn't OC, just means you need to be aware of the possibility of it. I don't see it saying "Don't OC cause it WILL get taken away from you and you will be killed with it" Just be aware that it is a possibility.

Just like you should be aware of all the other things that can happen to you in the world.

usamarshal

Well, I have a level 2 holster, so unless the crack head is houdini then I'm not going to lose sleep over it...:cool:

KBCraig

Ayoob is great on many things.

Ayoob isn't great on everything.

His primary perspective on guns and gun laws is as a LEO in New England, and an expert witness all over the country. Almost by design, his expert testimony is needed the most in those places where RKBA isn't recognized, or is severely infringed.

Yeah, he seems to have a bias against OC. Big deal. Ignore him where he's wrong, and praise him where he's good.