• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Utah Fixing Utah!" (To require home-state license)

jpm84092

I just hope that for the sake of those who want to protect and defend their families, the Utah legislature gets the wording right. I personally agree with States that want to insure that their citizens do not use the Utah permit to skirt the law in that State, but I also want to help our brothers and sisters in "may issue" states (that are actually "may issue if you know the right people and pay enough in political contributions) and the "no issue" states of Illinois and Wisconsin.

My Pennsylvania permit was issued on the strength of my Utah (resident) permit and both FL and NV asked for copies of my home State permit (if I had one).

IA_farmboy

But just to set the record straight, we have worked hard to make sure the Utah permit is NOT a cash cow for the State. Our goal has been to have it be revenue neutral. And near as we can tell, it is unless you consider providing two jobs at BCI for people to process non-resident permits to be a major source of income for the State.

My point on income does not necessarily have to do with income to the general funds but could also apply to the viability of the licensing system and/or the future costs of the license. I recall reading somewhere that there is a bill in Utah to adjust the prices of the licensing, the initial issue fees will go down but renewal fees will go up. I suspect this bill has to do with the changing costs of operation. If this proposal to require a resident permit before one can apply for a non-resident Utah permit then the cost structure will change again. This will make Utah BCI have to verify the resident permit, adding cost, and discourage some non-resident applicants, reducing income.

You're certainly welcome. Oh, did you forget to say "thank you" to Utah residents, legislators, and pro-RKBA activists who worked hard for many years to make sure that our permit was reasonable to obtain, available to non-residents, AND widely recognized? Now you're going to tell me that having benefited from the Utah permit you never did a thing to help us maintain it, or its recognition.

If I'm going to thank anyone then there is plenty of thanks that need to go around. I could thank Minnesota for recognizing the Utah permit too. I could also turn that around and express derision to Minnesota for not recognizing the Iowa permit and to Utah for requiring fingerprints and charging so much money. With that in mind I am pretty much neutral on the deal. Utah can keep the permit relevant for me if they like, or not, then I can choose to get the permit, or not.

I did help in keeping the Utah permit relevant, I applied for a permit. That is about all I can do from 1000 miles away. I have also expressed my concerns here which I thought some might appreciate being as I am a holder of the Utah permit. If the laws on non-resident Utah permits change then I can voice my opinion again when it comes time for renewal. Money talks you know.

Well, I'm glad it was of benefit to you when you needed it.

We are not trying to make sure it remains of value to those who continue to want/need it by maintain recognition.

Yes, the Utah permit has benefitted me. If the law changes then the permit does not seem so beneficial. Since I am part of the market that Utah wishes to reach then it might be to their benefit to listen to my concerns.

Quote the contrary. We calculate that by changing our law, we more easily maintain recognition of the Utah permit. That is certainly good for Utah residents. It is also good for many non-Utah-residents who want/need a widely recognized permit. That some (such as yourself) no longer see the Utah permit as needful has infinitely more to do with the improved recognition of your home State permit (and seriously, congrats on that, THAT is the way we should be headed on our way to nationwide constitutional carry) than with the fact that the Utah permit would now require you to send one photo copy in with your application or renewal.

How does making the requirement of a resident permit for a non-resident applicant keep the Utah permit relevant? The reason that legislators and trainers in Texas are complaining is because the Utah permit is cheaper than the Texas one and both are recognized in Texas. If Utah decides to require Texan applicants to first get a Texas permit then the Utah permit becomes nearly irrelevant. Few Texans would bother with the Utah permit because it offers little privileges to Texans. I checked the USA Carry reciprocity maps and there are only two states that are added by getting a Utah permit for a Texan that already has a Texas resident permit. Those two states could also be obtained by getting an Arizona or Florida permit and so now Utah would be competing with those states' permits.

Your calculus came to the conclusion that changing the law is beneficial. My calculus came to the opposite conclusion. I have to wonder what Texas would really do about it. If Texas was to change their law to drop recognition of Utah permits then I suspect a lot of Texans would be upset, as would a lot of Utahans. Since Texas legislators do not wish to upset their voters I doubt Texas is going to do anything about it. That is precisely why Texan legislators are trying to get Utah law to change, that way they don't have to be the bad guy in this.

My point is, don't fall for the pressure from outside the state. I think any threat of dropping the Utah permit recognition in any state is an empty one. Even if they do drop recognition because Utah does not fall for their demands they could just as easily find another excuse to drop recognition. It would become much easier to do since few Texans would complain after that.

In other words, you have little need for the Utah permit now. So ANY tiny increase in the cost or hassle of getting it means you won't renew. But for many, the value of maintain widespread recognition of the permit more than offsets the need to obtain a home State permit. And many who really value the Utah permit won't even be required to get a home State permit first under this change.

I didn't say ANY increase in the cost or hassle would mean I won't renew, it's just that requiring a copy of my Iowa permit is going too far. I mentioned the potential increase in the renewal fees before. An increase from $10 to $15 in renewal fees is not going to break me. Knowing whether or not I have a permit from my own state is just plain none of their business.

Another thing that bothers me is the unequal application of the law. As an Iowa resident I'd have to provide a copy of my permit, my cousin in Illinois would not have to produce such a document. Why should my permit cost $50 more (in fees paid in Iowa) than my cousin's in Illinois? Why should my cousin be exempt from the background check and training when I am not? We both gain the same benefits from the permit only I have to pay more and am further inconvenienced. That increased cost and inconvenience might just mean I go shopping for a different permit.

Let's just be clear and accurate with our information, shall we?

Sure. I'm full of question on this proposal and I would certainly like to see how this plays out.

I have all kinds of questions. Would my Utah permit remain valid if my Iowa permit expires? Would I be required to produce my Utah and Iowa permit in every state that recognizes the Utah permit? Would that only hold true in Utah? Or Texas?

Would this law pass a court challenge under state or federal equal protection laws? How would Utah determine the difference between "may issue" permit laws and "shall issue" permit laws? For example, (IIRC) Alabama has a "may issue" law but court challenges mean that no sheriff will dare deny a permit to someone that is not a prohibited person. In law the permits are "may issue" but in practice it is "shall issue".

The only things I see benefitting from the proposed law change are the bottom lines on the Texas firearm trainer balance sheets and the coffers of the state of Texas.

Utah might change their law in hopes to appease the Texans but that does not mean that Texas won't come back later to change their law to drop the recognition of the Utah permit anyway. Utah has leverage now precisely because Texas recognizes their permit. If Texans want to see more Texans getting permits from Texas then they need to change their laws. Should Utah require that Texans get a Texas permit to get a Utah permit then you stand to lose a lot of Texans to help in your fight as the Utah permit will become redundant for many of them.

You can also stand to lose a lot of other state residents if the law changes. Utah would now be competing with a dozen other states for permits, only one of which I know requires a resident permit before they will issue a non-resident permit. Pennsylvania requires a resident permit to get theirs but it's much cheaper, requires no fingerprints or photo, and is available by mail.

IA_farmboy

utbagpiper,

I went and took another read of this thread and I see you are working hard in your state to get the best concealed carry law that you can. I can appreciate that. However, sometimes, no matter how hard you try, there are just some fights you cannot win. This fight might be one of them.

I did some math and I figure about half of the permits issued by Utah go to residents, one quarter to Texans, and one quarter to other non-residents. That makes Texas a huge market for the Utah permit and that gives them a lot of leverage in this fight. If you change the law so that non-residents need to show a resident permit as part of the application process then you automatically lose those Texans. I doubt many Texans are going to bother with the Utah permit with the wide recognition of the Texas permit. There are probably quite a few other non-residents you might lose as well. I didn't look at too many state laws but Texas is enough of a market to make this case.

How many of the 100,000 Utahans that have a permit will travel to Texas? How does that compare to the 50,000 Texans that have a permit? I suspect that very few Utahans really care about reciprocity in Texas. If they are concerned then they still have the option of obtaining a different permit that is valid in Texas.

Texas is playing chicken with Utah to see who will sneeze first. Don't play their game. Call their bluff. If they change their law then they just pissed off 50,000 voters in their own state. If they create 50,000 pissed off people then that might just be enough to make RKBA a front and center issue.

If you change Utah law then you KNOW that 50,000 Texans will be lost to you. If you don't change your laws then there is a chance that Texas will flinch and keep the status quo. If Texas does change their law then at least Utah didn't piss off the other 50,000 non-residents that have Utah permits.

If you and I want to win the war on RKBA then we need to pick our battles wisely. Leave this battle to Texas. I think this battle is lost no matter what Utah does, it's just that few realize that just yet.

Alneuman

Show Them It Costs THEM Money!

In my humble opinion this bill will do nothing to get Nevada to recognize the Utah permit.

What better way to get good law abiding citizens to Nevada than have them spend $165 + training costs for a CCW permit?

What we all need to do is let the legislators of Nevada and New Mexico know that arbitrarily and capriciously ceasing to honor Utah's CCW permit will cost them money. Below is a letter I've sent to every Nevada State Senator and Representative. I suggest you all do the same.

Dear Representative,

I was planning a spring trip, and as always, I consulted a map which shows which states honor my Utah Concealed Weapon Permit. I know Nevada used to honor it, but surprisingly I see that it now does not. Has there been a problem that caused you to change this? I think not!

I did some checking on my local gun-rights forum, apparently Nevada decided to cease honoring Utah's permit because Utah does not require live fire before an instructor to obtain a permit. FOR THE RECORD, there is STATISTICALLY NO DIFFERENCE in the number of problems associated with concealed weapon permit holders between states that do and don't require life fire before obtaining a permit!

Please be informed that I will not travel to Nevada until such time as you allow me to protect my family and myself! On my gun-right forum, this was the prevailing thought!

(You apparently have all the tourists you need, huh?)

Most very sincerely,

Pistol Pete Utah

Every state should be like TN

In TN After 6 months living there you must obtain a TN CFP . All State should do the same this way they can "control" and make money instead of Utah. It is all s out power, control and the dollar, any surprise?

rpyne

Yes. You can't have been found in default on taxes or student loans and get a CHL in Texas. You can't get any license --CHL, hunting, fishing, driving, or professional-- if you owe back child support.

This sounds like typical liberal lunacy. You can't pay your debts, so we will make sure you never can by taking away your ability to get to work or carry on a profession.

utbagpiper

Banned
What we all need to do is let the legislators of Nevada and New Mexico know that arbitrarily and capriciously ceasing to honor Utah's CCW permit will cost them money. Below is a letter I've sent to every Nevada State Senator and Representative. I suggest you all do the same.

Dear Representative,

Please be informed that I will not travel to Nevada until such time as you allow me to protect my family and myself! On my gun-right forum, this was the prevailing thought!

(You apparently have all the tourists you need, huh?)

Most very sincerely,

If every holder of a Utah permit would do this to every State not honoring a Utah permit, it might well make a difference.

Thank you very much.

Charles

utbagpiper

Banned
utbagpiper,

I went and took another read of this thread and I see you are working hard in your state to get the best concealed carry law that you can. I can appreciate that. However, sometimes, no matter how hard you try, there are just some fights you cannot win. This fight might be one of them.

I did some math and I figure about half of the permits issued by Utah go to residents, one quarter to Texans, and one quarter to other non-residents. That makes Texas a huge market for the Utah permit and that gives them a lot of leverage in this fight.

You still seem to think that Utah is somehow making money by issuing permits to Texans. We don't.

So it is not "Texans" or anyone else who is a "big market" for Utah.

It is all about recognition of the Utah permit, NOT how many people from any given State get them.

If every non-Utahn who holds a Utah permit would actually DO something to help maintain and improve recognition of the Utah permit we'd be in great shape. But most do nothing.

I can't effect change in Texas. I can change Utah to make it less likely that anyone has a financial incentive to attack recognition of the Utah permit.

Charles

jpm84092

At the end of the day, this really is not a Utah problem.

IA honors a Utah permit, unless you live in IA - then you have to get a IA permit.

TN honors a Utah permit, unless you live in TN - then you have to get a TN permit.

These are but two examples of a "home state" solution to the problem. The fact that TX wants to collect on back child support and thus will not issue a permit to somebody who is delinquent in their child support payments is a "Texas Issue", and not a "problem" for Utah. If Utah does indeed require any applicant from a "shall issue" State to also have a "home state" permit, that will not change the lot in life for those in TX who are delinquent in their child support. They will still be behind in their child support. They just will not be able to carry concealed in TX on a UT permit.

Thus, I question the motive of any Texan who wants Utah to amend its' law to require a "home state" permit. Such a change would reduce the numbers of "law abiding" (in quotes because these people break the law in being delinquent in child support) citizens who can carry a concealed firearm for their own protection and that of their families. If TX wants to blackmail UT into a change in law, I suggest it would be much simpler for the TX legislature to simply require a home state permit for citizens of TX.

The law regarding UT permits has not changed substantially in many years. If it works - why "fix" it?

Last edited:

IA_farmboy

You still seem to think that Utah is somehow making money by issuing permits to Texans. We don't.

I realize that, I even stated that before. The rules of economics apply even if no money changes hands. The concepts of supply/demand and cost/benefit apply even when dollars and cents are not involved. In this case the cost includes the increased hassle of providing a resident permit to Utah (that cost could mean real dollars if the applicant would not normally have obtained a state issued permit such as in a state that has unlicensed open carry) or the cost of lost privacy (Utah will now have record of permits issued that it would not have had access to before).

So it is not "Texans" or anyone else who is a "big market" for Utah.

It is all about recognition of the Utah permit, NOT how many people from any given State get them.

How many people outside of Texas really care about Texas recognizing the Utah permit? How does that compare to the number of non-residents (including Texans) that provide funding to Utah BCI to keep their income up to cover their fixed costs? Do some cost/benefit analysis.

Keep the law the same:
- Cost: You MIGHT lose Texas income that keeps permit fees low.
- Cost: You MIGHT lose Texas recognition which means Utahans, and some non-residents, will have to get another permit.
- Benefit: You keep attracting other non-residents that keep permit fees low. Low fees mean more non-resident applicants which results in more income which means fees can stay low.

Change the law:
- Cost: You WILL lose Texas, and potentially many other non-residents, income that keep permit fees low.
- Cost: You MIGHT lose Texas recognition anyway because Texas is still under no obligation to recognize Utah permits.
- Benefit: You MIGHT keep Texas recognition for the few Utahans, and other non-Texas-residents, that travel to Texas under a Utah permit. Considering that Texas recognizes ~40 state permits that number is going to be quite low if getting a Utah permit now requires a resident permit.

If every non-Utahn who holds a Utah permit would actually DO something to help maintain and improve recognition of the Utah permit we'd be in great shape. But most do nothing.

I can't effect change in Texas. I can change Utah to make it less likely that anyone has a financial incentive to attack recognition of the Utah permit.

Charles

If Utah changes the law then you have just lost 50,000 Texans that have a financial incentive to keep the Utah permit valid in that state. If you keep the law as it is then those 50,000 Texans will fight on your side to keep the Utah permit valid. It seems to me that your best bet is to keep the status quo and keep those Texans on your side.

If Texas has truly granted the ultimatum of "change your law or we change ours" then you have just lost Texas. I suspect that Texans that have the Utah permit will fight for you so long as it is in their best interest to do so. If Utah changes their law then Texans have no reason to fight. If Utah changes their law then a lot of other non-residents will see the cost/benefit ratio tip closer to cost. Utah needs those non-residents to keep up the fight in other states to maintain and increase the value in having a Utah permit.

You need to fight for the status quo if you expect Texans to do the same in their state.

TFred

There seems to be a lot of knowledge here about this issue... one question I have, what is the actual driving force behind this bill?

Follow the push to the source... The Utah legislators say they are worried about losing acceptance in other states. Who is making that threat specifically? Is it the legislators of those states? Or is it the law enforcement communities?

Cut to the chase, when you trace it back to the beginning, are these changes being demanded by the people, or by their employees who purport to be working on their behalf?

TFred

JoeSparky

Centurion
There seems to be a lot of knowledge here about this issue... one question I have, what is the actual driving force behind this bill?

Follow the push to the source... The Utah legislators say they are worried about losing acceptance in other states. Who is making that threat specifically? Is it the legislators of those states? Or is it the law enforcement communities?

Cut to the chase, when you trace it back to the beginning, are these changes being demanded by the people, or by their employees who purport to be working on their behalf?

TFred

I suspect some Elected person in Texas suggested to Utah that Utah do this to stay in the good graces of Texas because the Texas Elected official DIDN'T WANT TO TAKE THE POLITICAL HEAT FOR CHANGING THE LAW IN TEXAS TO REQUIRE TEXAS RESIDENTS TO HAVE A TEXAS PERMIT IN TEXAS!

Entirely speculation on my part... but it seems to fit the scenario!

IA_farmboy

I suspect some Elected person in Texas suggested to Utah that Utah do this to stay in the good graces of Texas because the Texas Elected official DIDN'T WANT TO TAKE THE POLITICAL HEAT FOR CHANGING THE LAW IN TEXAS TO REQUIRE TEXAS RESIDENTS TO HAVE A TEXAS PERMIT IN TEXAS!

Entirely speculation on my part... but it seems to fit the scenario!

It's also the Texas State Rifle Association.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?86233

http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=36150

The reason why TSRA would be pushing this is a bit harder to nail down. It could be that many influential TSRA members are Texas CHL trainers. It could be that TSRA gets advertising money from Texas CHL trainers, I have seen advertising for CHL classes on their website. It could be some misguided belief that they are providing a public service to Texans such as by "encouraging" Texans to get a Texas CHL then fewer Texas gun owners will be inconvenienced.

What I see is that the Texas CHL license is very expensive at $140. They are going for the low hanging fruit by going after the Utah permit which costs ~$65. I have little doubt that if this proves successful then Florida will be next in line since their license costs ~$120. I assume the other costs are similar since all states require fingerprints, photos, and training for their permits.

I wrote a couple lengthy posts above about how much money this could cost Utah residents and non-residents and I think I should reframe my argument and leave the money out of it. It's about principles and goodwill.

If the people of Utah do not fight the change in concealed weapon permit law that would require non-residents to provide proof of a resident permit as part of the application then Utahans will show themselves willing to throw Texans under the bus so that they won't be inconvenienced by having to get a Texas permit to lawfully carry a concealed weapon in Texas. The people in Utan need to fight for the people in other states if Utah wants the people in other states to fight for them. We need to hang together or we will all hang separately. This won't stop if Utah changes their law, the people behind this will just move on to the next state in line to get their law changed.

This is bigger than a beef between Utah and Texas. I can see this grow into an effort to balkanize the states and remove non-resident recognition from all states. I've said this before but it needs to be repeated, if Texas is giving Utah this ultimatum then perhaps Texas is already lost. This might just be a battle that Utah cannot win. If the powers that be in Texas want to remove recognition of non-resident permits then force them to change their law and answer to their fellow Texans. They are going after Utah because, politically, it has made itself a soft target. Utah is a soft target because their permitting laws are so strong, not because of any weakness in them.

I can see why Utahans are concerned about this, they already saw New Mexico and Nevada drop recognition of their permits. I can see how this has inconvenienced Utahans. What I do not see is this change in Utah law restoring the permit recognition already lost or keeping further losses at bay. What I can see happen from such a change in Utah law is a loss of interstate goodwill, a willingness to sacrifice principles to avoid being inconvenienced.

utbagpiper

Banned
The law regarding UT permits has not changed substantially in many years. If it works - why "fix" it?

Well, that is exactly the rub now isn't? Is it "working?"

I would suggest that having lost recognition in two of our neighbors and now facing potential loss of recognition in Texas as well as a couple of other States that have not yet gone public with their concerns, our law is no longer "working" as well as we'd like in terms of maintaining recognition.

I will NOT engage in a "race to the bottom" to make Utah's permit the most expensive, difficult to obtain, in order to maintain recognition. In fact, I'm opposed to imposing ANY additional costs or requirements on Utah residents in order to get a permit.

But if requiring non-Utah-residents to get their home-State permit first will increase or even maintain recognition of the Utah permit, I have no problem with doing so.

Charles

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator

I would suggest that having lost recognition in two of our neighbors and now facing potential loss of recognition in Texas as well as a couple of other States that have not yet gone public with their concerns, our law is no longer "working" as well as we'd like in terms of maintaining recognition.

I will NOT engage in a "race to the bottom" to make Utah's permit the most expensive, difficult to obtain, in order to maintain recognition. In fact, I'm opposed to imposing ANY additional costs or requirements on Utah residents in order to get a permit.

But if requiring non-Utah-residents to get their home-State permit first will increase or even maintain recognition of the Utah permit, I have no problem with doing so.

Charles

I have no problem with this at all, this despite my lawsuit against Denver, Colorado for refusal to issue non-resident licenses. Why?

First, Utah recognizes all out of state carry licenses without reference to your state of residency. ALL of them. Which means if for some reason you can't or won't get your home state license, you can apply for licenses completely by mail. Good examples of this is Florida, Maine, New Hampshire. Utah could cancel it's non-resident licensing program entirely and it would be ruled constitutional by any federal court.

Second, Utahan's are the voters of the Utah Legislature. Not Washingtonians or Texans. If the value of their license drops when they travel, then they are adversely effected.

Does it mean that I support it? No. Is it constitutional? Yes.

IA_farmboy

I guess that depends on how you define "working" now doesn't it?

The officially stated reason that all these states have dropped and are considering dropping the Utah permit from being recognized is because Utah does not have a firing range requirement to get the permit. The "unofficial" reason is that people in these states are getting the cheaper, or easier to get, Utah permit to carry in their own states. Just because Utah law addresses the real reason for dropping the recognition does not mean that they won't still drop recognition.

Since this does nothing to address the official reason for dropping the Utah permit recognition I doubt it will "work" no matter how you define it. It seems the real fix Utah should do is require some range time for the permit but it seems that is not something you, and many other Utahans, are willing to do. This puts you in between a rock and a hard place, it seems that to get the permit recognition you desire you must raise the costs (in time and/or money) to get a permit from your own state.

What brought me over to this forum was a desire to see how the Utah constitutional carry bill was going but the headline on this thread sucked me in. If there is anything that would "work" in addressing the issue at hand here is constitutional carry. The real issue is that Utahans don't want to see their right to be armed taxed any higher than it already is. Rather than getting all tied up in knots on how the permit is viewed by other states I'd suggest turning that effort towards constitutional carry.

If Utah gets constitutional carry then Texas can demand whatever they like in the permitting requirements for carrying in their state and you and all the other Utahans can shrug it off.

I've said this before, I'm essentially neutral on this. I don't NEED a Utah permit but I got one because it suited me at the time. By the time it expires we might see permits to carry in Illinois and Wisconsin and constitutional carry in South Carolina and Iowa. If that happens I will probably be applying for a permit to carry in Illinois and let my Utah permit expire.

utbagpiper

Banned

If Utah gets constitutional carry then Texas can demand whatever they like in the permitting requirements for carrying in their state and you and all the other Utahans can shrug it off.

I've said this before, I'm essentially neutral on this.

For being neutral you seem to have some strong opinions.

And you seem to fundamentally misunderstand the intents or effects of constitutional carry in Utah. When (maybe not this year, but when) we get constitutional carry our intent is that it won't change our permit process at all. And Utah getting constitutional carry won't change, one iota, the primary reason that the majority of non-Utahns get a Utah permit. Most of them are getting a permit because it is widely recognized. Some may well only intend to carry in their home State as opposed to traveling among many States on a regular basis. But the fact remains that if additional States drop recognition of the Utah permit, fewer and fewer non-Utahns will have any use for that permit at all. Maintaining recognition of the Utah permit is important for Utah residents. It is arguably even more important for non-Utah-residents who want a Utah permit.

Charles

IA_farmboy

For being neutral you seem to have some strong opinions.

Yes, I suppose. I guess it just bothers me a wee bit when I see people willing to compromise on principles to avoid being inconvenienced.

But the fact remains that if additional States drop recognition of the Utah permit, fewer and fewer non-Utahns will have any use for that permit at all.

I'm confused as to why any Utahan would care about the reciprocity of the Utah permit if constitutional carry became law in that state. While the Utah permit to carry is recognized widely it is far from universal. Utahans will still be required to know the laws of the states they visit and get whatever permits required to carry concealed if they wish to do so lawfully.

If you want to have the Utah permit to carry recognized more widely then the answer seems obvious to me, change the law to require range time to get the permit. It seems nothing less will satisfy the likes of Texas, Nevada, New Mexico and a handful of other states. Another solution that seems obvious to me is that Utahans can just get a permit from another state, that seems to work for Texans.

Maintaining recognition of the Utah permit is important for Utah residents. It is arguably even more important for non-Utah-residents who want a Utah permit.

Non-residents only find the Utah permit valuable because right now it has a better cost/benefit ratio compared to other permits right now. If Utah changes the requirements for non-residents then the cost increases (the cost can be measured in loss of privacy, time/inconvenience, fees for a resident permit, etc.). I just don't see non-residents of Utah asking for this change in Utah permit requirements. I also don't see too many non-residents of Utah, except for Texans, terribly concerned about a loss of Texas reciprocity. I suspect this is because out of all the people that get Utah non-resident permits few visit Texas, many have other permits recognized by Texas (which is not difficult since Texas now recognizes 40+ state permits), or have other options available to them (such as open carry, another state permit).

You claim this change in the law would be a service to all holders of the Utah permit. I'm saying I disagree. As a holder of a Utah permit I would allow my permit to expire before I submit to providing a copy of my Iowa permit to carry as a condition of renewal.

My primary concern, like you, is the ability to travel while armed in the states that border my own. If Utah increases the costs (again, cost is not just money) of getting a permit then I will reconsider keeping the permit. I got it because it is recognized in Minnesota. The loss of recognition in Nevada, New Mexico, and potentially Texas hits close to home, literally and figuratively, for Utahans and I recognize that. Do what you have to do. Just don't fool yourself that you are doing non-residents a favor.

utbagpiper

Banned
I'm confused as to why any Utahan would care about the reciprocity of the Utah permit if constitutional carry became law in that state.

And I remain dumbfounded that you are confused on this point.

Utahns (only one "a" in the proper spelling of that word no matter what your spell check says) care about recognition because travel outside of Utah and we don't want to have spend thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours getting multiple permits.

If you want to have the Utah permit to carry recognized more widely then the answer seems obvious to me, change the law to require range time to get the permit.

Says the man who claims to be annoyed at any "compromise" to avoid inconvenience. I'm not going to support making the permit any harder for Utahns to obtain.

Non-residents only find the Utah permit valuable because right now it has a better cost/benefit ratio compared to other permits right now.

That cost/benefit ratio changes dramatically if the permit is no longer recognized in whatever State you want/need it. Keeping the cost the same, but losing significant benefits may be even serious than arriving at the same numerical result but with higher cost.

I also don't see too many non-residents of Utah, except for Texans, terribly concerned about a loss of Texas reciprocity.

Well, a whole lot of Utahns are worried about it and respectfully, I'm a lot more concerned about the views of Utah residents than I am of non-residents on this (and frankly, virtually every other) topic.

Charles