• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting pa need oc info!! Please help!!!

ehewitt1990

I will be visiting family south of pittsburgh in April, and want to carry my pistol with me. Does anyone know exactly where the laws are that gives a person the right to OC? for example, ARS 13-3102 is the law in Arizona that gives anyone over the age of 18 legally allowed to own a firearm the right to openly carry said firearm. I am 20, and know that it is legal in PA from reading www.paopencarry.org , but i'd like to know where in the law it says this, in case i do happen to encounter LEO's who are misinformed.

mrjam2jab

There is no law in PA statute that prohibits open carry....that makes it legal by default.

18 cs 6110.1 says anyone over 18 may possess.

Keep in mind that in PA, open carry is not legal in a vehicle.

18 cs 6109

18 Pa.C.S. § 6109: Licenses
(a) Purpose of license.--A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle throughout this Commonwealth.

ehewitt1990

There is no law in PA statute that prohibits open carry....that makes it legal by default.

18 cs 6110.1 says anyone over 18 may possess.

Keep in mind that in PA, open carry is not legal in a vehicle.

18 cs 6109

so i am legally allowed to open carry in PA other then the normal places you cannot carry a firearm, or philly? i am talking to a friend of mine and he told me you have to be 21 to carry period. is he wrong? or am i reading the laws wrong?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
so i am legally allowed to open carry in PA other then the normal places you cannot carry a firearm, or philly? i am talking to a friend of mine and he told me you have to be 21 to carry period. is he wrong? or am i reading the laws wrong?

Your friend is wrong.

ehewitt1990

Your friend is wrong.

ok thank you. i have one more question, and its a little off topic, but i am hoping someone will know and be able to show me the correct answer.

my friend is saying that federal law states NOWHERE in the US can you buy/sell a handgun via a private sale. please tell me if this is true, and show me where it says this?

we got into a HUGE argument, him living in PA thinks you always have to have ownership transfered when you buy/sell guns. But AZ [where i'm from] says you do not have to register your guns.

so i guess my main question is, when i bought my handgun, being under the age of 21, and not registering it, did i break federal laws? or any laws for that matter?

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
ok thank you. i have one more question, and its a little off topic, but i am hoping someone will know and be able to show me the correct answer.

my friend is saying that federal law states NOWHERE in the US can you buy/sell a handgun via a private sale. please tell me if this is true, and show me where it says this?

we got into a HUGE argument, him living in PA thinks you always have to have ownership transfered when you buy/sell guns. But AZ [where i'm from] says you do not have to register your guns.

so i guess my main question is, when i bought my handgun, being under the age of 21, and not registering it, did i break federal laws? or any laws for that matter?

First problem is each state has different laws.

Second question "did I break any laws" is an after the fact question - shouldn't you have determined that first? Not meaning to be rude, but the time to do your research is before hand - a simple search would have given you the answer.

Federal law regarding handguns pertains to purchase from a FFL, wherein one must be 21 years of age. In most states (all?) you may buy from a private party at 18years of age - some states require a purchase permit.

Again, your "friend" is wrong.

Last edited:

ehewitt1990

First problem is you do not identify your location/state on your profile - each state has different laws.

Second question "did I break any laws" is an after the fact question - shouldn't you have determined that first? Not meaning to be rude, but the time to do your research is before hand - a simple search would have given you the answer.

Federal law regarding handguns pertains to purchase from a FFL, wherein one must be 21 years of age. In most states (all?) you may buy from a private party at 18years of age - some states require a purchase permit.

Again, your "friend" is wrong.

sorry, i will make sure to fill in that info for possible further future questions. :D

i knew in arizona you only needed to be 18 to legally purchase any firearm from a private seller, pistol or not. but i know sometimes federal law is different from state laws [ex: california and the legal medical marijuana]. thank you for answering my questions. it is greatly appreciated. i will be visiting PA in march, and am looking forward to OC'ing there. i will also make sure to print out a tri-fold from paopencarry.org in case someone is curious as to the laws. or a mis-informed LEO tries and tells me i cannot legally OC. :D again, thanks.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
sorry, i will make sure to fill in that info for possible further future questions. :D

i knew in arizona you only needed to be 18 to legally purchase any firearm from a private seller, pistol or not. but i know sometimes federal law is different from state laws [ex: california and the legal medical marijuana]. thank you for answering my questions. it is greatly appreciated. i will be visiting PA in march, and am looking forward to OC'ing there. i will also make sure to print out a tri-fold from paopencarry.org in case someone is curious as to the laws. or a mis-informed LEO tries and tells me i cannot legally OC. :D again, thanks.

Also you might check out http://www.pafoa.org/ for the best on-line source for PA firearms info.

Take special note of Philadelphia ordinances - some differences.
http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-open-carry-121/113410-concerning-open-carry-philadelphia.html

ehewitt1990

knight0334

Even though OC is legal by those 18 and older without a license - you will still need a license from any state to transport the handgun in a vehicle, unless you are going directly to/from a limited number of places. Just getting in a vehicle with a "firearm"(handgun, SBS, SBR) without a license is illegal unless you are going to once of the exempted locations in 18.61.6106(b).

aadvark

Do NOT CONCEAL your Pistol.

Do NOT get into ANY Motor Vehicle with your Pistol OR any other Firearm.

*** The Provisions above are Inapplicable if you have a Pennsylvania License to Carry a Firearm OR you have a License from ANY other State in which Pennsylvania Honors. ***

Last edited:

emsjeep

You do need the LTCF to OC and CC in Philly or some applicable reciprocal license/permit or any license/permit if you don't get out of the car.

knight0334

Do NOT CONCEAL your Pistol.

Do NOT get into ANY Motor Vehicle with your Pistol OR any other Firearm.

*** The Provisions above are Inapplicable if you have a Pennsylvania License to Carry a Firearm OR you have a License from ANY other State in which Pennsylvania Honors. ***

If you mean "firearm", as in and handgun, SBR, or SBS - you would be correct. However long guns can be transported in a vehicle without a license, they must be unloaded though. If you're in Philly you would need a LTCF to have an unloaded long gun in a vehicle.