• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Heads Up

American Patriot

This story reads like the store clerk may have shot at the man just because he was carrying. What will be the situation when the next OCer attends the store?

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/01/store-clerk-fires-gun-wouldbe-robber-va-beach

VIRGINIA BEACH

The convenience store where a clerk shot at a would-be robber had been robbed about two weeks ago, police said this morning.

About 7 p.m. Wednesday, a man, dressed in black with a bandanna covering his face, entered the Indian Lakes Food Mart in the 1100 block of Indian Lakes Blvd. A clerk saw he was carrying a gun, so he pulled out his own weapon and fired a single shot at the man, police spokesman Sgt. Brian Ricardo said Wednesday night.

jerz_subbie

I think the guy's dress (all black and bandanna over face) were the give away, not the gun itself. The method of carry and body language were probably very telling as well, but neither of us can know for sure since we weren't there.

Dreamer

Yeah, I think as long as people don't go wandering into stores late at night, with their hoodies over their heads, and bandanas covering their faces, they should be OK...

It's all about "presentation", folks...

M

mattwestm

Still though, just because you are wearing suspicious looking clothing doesn't give someone the right to shoot you. However, suspicious clothing does give the clerk a right to be suspicious and keep their hand on their weapon, just in case SHTF.

Blk97F150

From the linked article:
The store had been robbed in the past, most recently on Jan. 10 and possibly by the same person, police spokesman Officer Jimmy Barnes said this morning. The clerk had a concealed handgun permit and was within his rights to shoot at the man, he said.

“Clearly, if you’re under the impression you’re about to be robbed or shot or killed, you have the right to defend yourself,” Barnes said.
---------------------------------

Apparently the clerk thought it was the same person who previously robbed them. That might have affected his decision to draw and fire....

Resto Guy

If the guy who was shot at has not filed a complaint, I guess it's safe to assume he was up to no good.
However, I find it surprising that the actions of the employee are defended by the police.

muccione

The article said he was carrying a gun.... didn't say "how" he was carrying it... Carrying to us means in a holster...
To the clerk could mean in his hand....
And as Resto Guy said no complain filed means this guy had bad intentions...

muccione

Why would anyone walk into a store with a mask on if they weren't up to no good?
I'd chance to say that by the time the clerk hears the BANG BANG BANG, it's a little too late!

I was in a gas station a few weeks ago and a black guy walked in with a mask on and hoodie up.... I was like WTF?.... but he just paid and left... trigger happy person might have did something else....

elixin77

I wear a shemagh when I gets cold, so my nose doesn't freeze off my face. Sure I get some weird looks, but I just shrug it off and laugh as the person wiggles their nose trying to keep it warm.

It would be a very bad day if I got shot for something I'm wearing to stay warm

Coniferous

"dressed in black with a bandanna covering his face"

While not technically criminal, most OCers I know don't walk around with their face hidden.

Sc0tt

a man, dressed in black with a bandanna covering his face, entered the Indian Lakes Food Mart in the 1100 block of Indian Lakes Blvd. A clerk saw he was carrying a gun

I dont care if you are legally OC, thats just a bad idea. Its all about image. If I OC in walmart in jeans and a tshirt but Im buying a ski mask and crowbar, Im not doing anything illegal but bet your ass there probally going to make some phone calls.

M

mattwestm

Even if you aren't OCing, buying a ski mask, duck tape, and a crow bar looks really suspicious!

I try to dress nicely when I'm OCing. No ratty t-shirts or jeans.

Spearhead

§ 14-12.7. Wearing of masks, hoods, etc., on public ways.
No person or persons at least 16 years of age shall, while wearing any mask, hood or device whereby the person, face or voice is disguised so as to conceal the identity of the wearer, enter, be or appear upon any lane, walkway, alley, street, road, highway or other public way in this State.

Wouldn't he have to be on the "public highway" before he got to the store? Seems like he was already breaking the law when he walked in.

NEVERMIND. For some reason this was posted in the NC forum but happened in VA. DUH!

Last edited:

Dreamer

§ 14-12.7. Wearing of masks, hoods, etc., on public ways.
No person or persons at least 16 years of age shall, while wearing any mask, hood or device whereby the person, face or voice is disguised so as to conceal the identity of the wearer, enter, be or appear upon any lane, walkway, alley, street, road, highway or other public way in this State.

This NC law (and the VA law that makes it a Class 6 felony) prohibiting the wearing of masks in public have been generally ruled upon that they don't include scarves, mufflers, and the like when worn int he winter for protection against the weather. These laws were mostly put in place to be something they could use to prosecute KKK members for wearing their hoods during protests, gatherings, and intimidation. They generally have NOTHiNG to do with robberies, but they are sometimes used as "pile on charges" when people wear masks in the commission of crimes.

The fact remains that a bandana tied around one's face isn't the same as a scarf. And in VA, wearing a bandana tied around your face, is, in most cases, going to be construed as a "mask", and not some sort of foul-weather scarf, and therefore a felony...

Thanks "Spearhead". I knew about the VA law (I lived in VA for 15 years), but I had no idea that NC had a similar law on the books. This is why I love OCDO--I learn something new here nearly every day!

sultan62

Yeah, NC's provision is under NC Chapter 14 Article 4A, which deals with secret societies. There is no exception for winter wear, that I can find.