Thread: Mayor Bloomberg still at it, while the NY Daily News gets it wrong

Mayor Bloomberg still at it, while the NY Daily News gets it wrong

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...ut_backgr.html

The sales were captured on undercover video by private detectives working for Mayor Bloomberg's crusade against illegal guns. The detectives went to the Crossroads of the West gun show in Phoenix on Jan. 23 to expose the deadly loopholes in America's gun background check system.

The investigators bought Sig Sauer and Smith & Wesson 9-mm semiautomatics with high-capacity magazines, even after telling the gun dealers they "probably couldn't pass" a background check. Gun shows are exempt from background checks, but vendors can't legally sell to anyone they think is prohibited from buying them.

What???
    Last edited by bom1911; 01-31-2011 at 12:16 AM.

Banned
    Sloppy reporting. One factual, unbiased way to word the sentence might be: "When private individuals (who do not sell firearms as a business) sell their privately-owned guns, they are not required by law to run a background check, wherever they sell their firearms, even if the sale takes place on the floor of a gun show. They are still, however, prohibited from selling firearms to buyers whom they know fall into one of the categories barred from possessing firearms."

I personally wouldn't sell a firearm to someone who announced that he "probably couldn't pass" the background check without inquiring further as to what he meant. But, unless he mentioned some specific impairment or behaved in such a way as to cause me to believe that he had some specific impairment, then I don't know that it would be unlawful to sell to him. He could just be joking about a pile of traffic tickets.
    Last edited by eye95; 01-31-2011 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    Sloppy reporting. One factual, unbiased way to word the sentence might be: "When private individuals (who do not sell firearms as a business) sell their privately-owned guns, they are not required by law to run a background check, wherever they sell their firearms, even if the sale takes place on the floor of a gun show. They are still, however, prohibited from selling firearms to buyers whom they know fall into one of the categories barred from possessing firearms."

I personally wouldn't sell a firearm to someone who announced that he "probably couldn't pass" the background check without inquiring further as to what he meant. But, unless he mentioned some specific impairment or behaved in such a way as to cause me to believe that he had some specific impairment, then I don't know that it would be unlawful to sell to him. He could just be joking about a pile of traffic tickets.
    Colorado, gun friendly in most areas, prohibits private sales at gun shows. Nothing stops the deal being made there and consumated elsewhere, however.