• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tahoe to Nevada State line unincorporated areas

secretasianman

Hi everyone. I've been lurking for a while and now I've got a question.

First my background: I live in the Reno area and I have a NV CCW. I carry everywhere I can legally do so in NV. I'd love to get a CA CCW but from what I understand CA does not issue non-resident CCW permits even in quasi-shall-issue counties. I work in the Tahoe City area and commute from Reno everyday because I can't afford to live near the lake.

As I understand CA law: I am allowed to carry a loaded firearm in National Forests and unincorporated areas. Is there a resource to determine unincorporated area boundaries? I likely cannot loaded open carry in Tahoe City and Truckee... but what about on I-80 travelling from Truckee to the NV stateline?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hi everyone. I've been lurking for a while and now I've got a question.

First my background: I live in the Reno area and I have a NV CCW. I carry everywhere I can legally do so in NV. I'd love to get a CA CCW but from what I understand CA does not issue non-resident CCW permits even in quasi-shall-issue counties. I work in the Tahoe City area and commute from Reno everyday because I can't afford to live near the lake.

As I understand CA law: I am allowed to carry a loaded firearm in National Forests and unincorporated areas. Is there a resource to determine unincorporated area boundaries? I likely cannot loaded open carry in Tahoe City and Truckee... but what about on I-80 travelling from Truckee to the NV stateline?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

That is a loaded question. < yea, pun intended >

Even with a detailed map/chart/list, how does one know precisely where the line(s) are to avoid crossing them and becoming illegal? Not knowing precisely could precipitate and very expensive wrong step. Where it exists, one of the major things that preemption eliminates is that foolishness.

Will leave it to the more knowledgeable west coasties to give a more specific answer.

Decoligny

That is a loaded question. < yea, pun intended >

Even with a detailed map/chart/list, how does one know precisely where the line(s) are to avoid crossing them and becoming illegal? Not knowing precisely could precipitate and very expensive wrong step. Where it exists, one of the major things that preemption eliminates is that foolishness.

Will leave it to the more knowledgeable west coasties to give a more specific answer.

One knows exactly where the unincorporated areas become incorporated areas. They are called "City Limits".

Unincorporated areas are areas that are outside of the City Limits of any incorporated city in the state of California.

The tricky part is the part of PC 12031 which reads "unincorporated area where discharge of a firearm is not prohibited."

Each County has its own ordinances and determines which areas are off limits to discharging firearms.

The other thing you have to watch out for is the dreaded "GUN FREE SCHOOL ZONES". These are hard to determine as they are not marked on any map. You have to find out where the schools are, where the school property lines are, and where exactly 1,000 feet away from the property line is as the crow flies. Not an easy task to do.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

One knows exactly where the unincorporated areas become incorporated areas. They are called "City Limits".

Unincorporated areas are areas that are outside of the City Limits of any incorporated city in the state of California.

Not trying to be difficult - this is really a little bit tongue-in-cheek - but how exactly when riding or walking does one determine where a city limit/line is? Is there a yellow paint border or something around the entire perimeter?

It seems to me that this whole thing is full of land mines and fishhooks for the unwary. I definitely do not envy you with that situation. It was exactly for that reason that Virginia preempted other municipalities and put all cities and counties on a consistently even basis.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Not trying to be difficult - this is really a little bit tongue-in-cheek - but how exactly when riding or walking does one determine where a city limit/line is? Is there a yellow paint border or something around the entire perimeter?

In California there is generally a sign placed alongside (major) roads which informs states that a new city is being entered. I have no idea if this is tradition or by law.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
In California there is generally a sign placed alongside (major) roads which informs states that a new city is being entered. I have no idea if this is tradition or by law.

Oh, I understand that and the limitations to it.

What about when a subdivision straddles the line, you're on a secondary road or fishing in a stream? Like I said, I don't envy you on that issue at all.