Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Daily Utah Chronicle - UofU blinks, will allow open carry by students to class

  1. #1
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Daily Utah Chronicle - UofU blinks, will allow open carry by students to class

    Open carry - works like drano to root out and unclog right to bear arms violations . . . even by ivory tower bureaucrats!

    http://www.dailyutahchronicle.com/ne...ment-1.2452765

    SNIP

    After weeks of confusion, the rules regarding firearms on campus might have been settled once and for all.

    On Thursday, Rep. Curtis Oda, R-Clearfield introduced a House Bill 75, which would clarify that it is legal to openly carry a firearm on a state college campus. Oda spoke with U President Michael Young, and they came to an understanding that the U cannot ban open carry or regulate any other state firearm laws.

    Oda has since removed the language from the bill, deeming it unnecessary.

    . . .
    Last edited by Mike; 01-31-2011 at 07:59 AM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    333
    SNIP
    "There should be some room for authority allowing a university campus to enforce its own policies with the gun issue," said Emi Dunn, government relations director for ASUU. "Campus needs to be a safe learning environment, and it is unacceptable for professors or students to feel threatened by the presence of guns in a class room."

    Dunn said she is relieved Young addressed the issue, but said ASUU is still opposed to open carry.


    "Nearly two-thirds of Utah voters (64%) would oppose an open carry law on campus, and we are part of that two-thirds," she said.

    Interesting that the administration feels that they are not subject to state law and are entitled to enforce "policy" and that policy is based upon public opinion THEY happen to agree with.

    The state should fire the whole damn lot of them.

    Steve
    Steve


    "Life is hard, its even harder when you are stupid!"

  3. #3
    Regular Member jpm84092's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,068

    Thumbs up Wise Remark by a Legislator

    Rep Oda: "A gun-free zone is a free-kill zone"

    Now, that man "gets it".
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Provo, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    On Thursday, Rep. Curtis Oda, R-Clearfield introduced a House Bill 75, which would clarify that it is legal to openly carry a firearm on a state college campus. Oda spoke with U President Michael Young, and they came to an understanding that the U cannot ban open carry or regulate any other state firearm laws.

    Oda has since removed the language from the bill, deeming it unnecessary.

    . . .
    He should have left the language in the bill. It may be unnecessary for the moment, but what about when the leadership (I use that term loosely) at UofU changes? Or when Young gets another wild hair up his behind?

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Springville
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by rpyne View Post
    He should have left the language in the bill. It may be unnecessary for the moment, but what about when the leadership (I use that term loosely) at UofU changes? Or when Young gets another wild hair up his behind?
    I agree completely. It WILL be an issue again, eventually, if the language isn't in the final draft of the bill

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    78

    Kirk

    Right on. Thanks for the update. I am so glad that I am able to vote for Mr. Oda.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Provo, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,076
    As I read the most recent amended version of HB75S1, it looks to me like a "one step forward, two steps back" bill. The only thing we appear to gain is the removal of the roaming school zone provision. It looks like it actually expands the definition of a school and adds day care centers to the restricted locations.

    There was an attempt to add a provision that would make a person carrying a gun financially responsible if some paranoid school administrator called for a school lock down because of seeing a gun.

    As the bill stands now, I am hesitant to support it. I have emailed Rep Oda asking why he put the 1000 foot rule back in, but have not yet received a reply

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by rpyne View Post
    The only thing we appear to gain is the removal of the roaming school zone provision.
    For firearm possession, HB75S1 also eliminates the 1,000' rule. This is a huge gain. It removes the grounds of a preschool or child-care facility, and narrows the definition of "public or private vocational school or postsecondary institution" to "a public or private institution of higher education."

    Quote Originally Posted by rpyne View Post
    It looks like it actually expands the definition of a school and adds day care centers to the restricted locations.
    "on or about school premises" already includes "in or on the grounds of a preschool or child-care facility". That's the way the law existed before HB75S1 was even a twinkle in Rep. Oda's eye (see 76-3-203.2 (1)(a)(iv)). HB75S1 didn't add them, they're already restricted locations.

    As for the definition of schools, they're more narrowly defined under HB75S1 too, unless you consider "in a public or private institution of higher education; or on the grounds of a public or private institution of higher education" to be an expansion from "in a public or private vocational school or postsecondary institution or on the grounds of any of those schools or institutions."

    Quote Originally Posted by rpyne View Post
    There was an attempt to add a provision that would make a person carrying a gun financially responsible if some paranoid school administrator called for a school lock down because of seeing a gun.
    Yes, there was, and it was defeated.

    Quote Originally Posted by rpyne View Post
    As the bill stands now, I am hesitant to support it. I have emailed Rep Oda asking why he put the 1000 foot rule back in, but have not yet received a reply
    HB75S1 essentially splits the definition of "on or about school premises". Previously, it had existed only in 76-3-203.2(1)(a) and applied to both sentencing enhancements for criminal acts and the restriction on firearm possession found in 76-10-505.5. HB75S1 leaves the sentencing enhancements largely untouched (at the request of the Utah Sentencing Commission) and redefines "on or about school premises" for purposes of firearm possession in 76-10-505.5.

    The goal of HB75S1 was to ease the restrictions on otherwise-lawful firearm possession. In that regard, it succeeds brilliantly. It removes a number of restricted locations without adding any new ones.
    Last edited by ItsaSecret; 04-02-2011 at 05:50 PM.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13

    Rep. Curtis Oda, R-Clearfield for now

    Don't look forward to my vote at the next election. It is time we (all of America) stand up and let our so-called representive know if you do not support our cause (OC) then we will not support your. I have had it up to my eyes-balls with Obama all the way down to our mayors. You had better start looking and listening to the people who put you in office. Only those with the nerve will stand-up and say hell no we are not going to take crap from our government any more. Our fore-fathers based our laws on the Bible whom I believe with my mind body and soul. As a veteran I fought in DS/DS Medically retired and work at the VA in SLC. I do have PTSD and being treated for it along with other things. One I guess you can tell by my rambling on.
    We need some buiness cards with what we feel so strong about and know that we can black ball establishments that do not allow OCing.

    I am working on one and I will send it to the person who runs this forum if he will email me at work. This is so once I have completed the draft we could let everyone else put in their thoughts. I was thinking of putting the 2nd Amendment on the back of the cards. I have an idea for the front but it is just a matter of putting on paper.

    Gpaw

    PS: My first Grandson's bithday is the 13th of this month, and I still have not be able to hold him. But if it works out I will see him in late may-early june of this year. Too many family issues.

    Don't Tread on Me

  10. #10
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Gpaw View Post
    Don't look forward to my vote at the next election. It is time we (all of America) stand up and let our so-called representive know if you do not support our cause (OC) then we will not support your. I have had it up to my eyes-balls with Obama all the way down to our mayors. You had better start looking and listening to the people who put you in office. Only those with the nerve will stand-up and say hell no we are not going to take crap from our government any more. Our fore-fathers based our laws on the Bible whom I believe with my mind body and soul. As a veteran I fought in DS/DS Medically retired and work at the VA in SLC. I do have PTSD and being treated for it along with other things. One I guess you can tell by my rambling on.
    We need some buiness cards with what we feel so strong about and know that we can black ball establishments that do not allow OCing.

    I am working on one and I will send it to the person who runs this forum if he will email me at work. This is so once I have completed the draft we could let everyone else put in their thoughts. I was thinking of putting the 2nd Amendment on the back of the cards. I have an idea for the front but it is just a matter of putting on paper.

    Gpaw

    PS: My first Grandson's bithday is the 13th of this month, and I still have not be able to hold him. But if it works out I will see him in late may-early june of this year. Too many family issues.

    Don't Tread on Me

    I admit it! You got me scratching my head.... Just what does this have to do with Rep. Oda of Clearfield? I wasn't able to follow your thought process.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    75
    I've never understood how what amounts to a glorified student organization somehow justified violating state law, but I guess when they can just charge people with unrelated offenses, it isn't a firearms issue? bah, least I can (and do) CC there constantly...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •