• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help! My 7 yr old Nephew is a Gang Leader

HandyHamlet

Technology
Dungeons and Dragons Threatens Prison Security, Court Rules

Published January 26, 2011

| FoxNews.com

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011...ns-prison-security-court-rules/#ixzz1CdqTNDTw

He explained that the policy [of banning D&D] was intended to promote prison security because cooperative games can mimic the organization of gangs and lead to the actual development thereof. Muraski elaborated that during D&D games, one player is denoted the "Dungeon Master." The Dungeon Master is tasked with giving directions to other players, which Muraski testified mimics the organization of a gang.

Anyone know where I can turn my 7 yr old nephew in for WarHammer 40K?

:eek:

Fallschirjmäger

Errr... doesn't football have somebody called the Quarterback, emphasize cooperation between players and camaraderie?
Is there ANY team play that doesn't?

It would seem that there are two options ...either you encourage a spirit of "I'm in it for myself and **** ever'boddy else", or you try to develop a feeling of empathy with others.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Former bureaucrat in a certain state's Dept of Corrections here. Thus, with those bona fides you can trust my response. (Really, trust me on this one.)

Your 7-year old nephew is not a gang leader - yet. The issue of learning cooperation and leader- follower-ship relates to gang activity only for those who did not learn all the rules while they were still not recidivists in the juvenile/adult correctional systems. The innocent youth of today (which we will for the moment presume includes your nephew) merely learn skills which enhance their membership in the Borg by playing games such as D&D or football or other team sports, as all of those have "others" who are not directly involved in the playing of the game who oversee and control the actions of the gamefield "leaders". They may be called coaches, or teachers, or Mayor, or Congressman/Senator, or even President. But you can be sure that there is someone watching over their every move, ready to step in and correct any improper behavior.

Gangs, on the other hand, do not select their leaders and position them out of the direct line of play. Gang leaders assume the position (Hey! There's a pun there. Laugh, darn you!) by overcoming all the other members and physically and mentally dominating them in order to maintain the position of gang leader. That is why gang leaders are so dangerous in prisons - they do not listen to and obey the orders of the hidden overlords and their minions.

Well, there's also the real fear that some of the maps that get drawn in D&D games might turn out to be escape maps. I'm serious - I've heard that said by some very high up the foodchain officials as well as by some of the line staff.

Now, depnding of the laws of your state/locality, your nephew might still be a gang member if he regularly associates with somewhere between "three or more" and "five or more" individuals who come together regularly for the purpose of violating the law. You know, activities like playing WH when he's supposed to be doing his homework or cleaning his room, or staying up past his bedtime. If that's the case, you can take comfort in the fact that there are several federal law enforcement grants out there that provide money to the local law enforcement agencies to provide rewards for turning in names of gang members.

So rest easy. Either your nephew is not yet a gang leader and might, if he follows orders well, never become one. Or he really already is and you can get rich by turning him in. Win-Win, wither way.

stay safe.

HandyHamlet

Former bureaucrat in a certain state's Dept of Corrections here. Thus, with those bona fides you can trust my response. (Really, trust me on this one.)

Thank you for your insightful post. It is full of it.

But you can be sure that there is someone watching over their every move, ready to step in and correct any improper behavior.

Thank you. This is a huge relief. When he was 6 he wanted to know how to spell "Germans". He was writing rules for a simple WWII tank wargame for his friends. I thought this very strange. I felt my nephew and his friends should have been watching TV instead. You know, like normal people.

That is why gang leaders are so dangerous in prisons - they do not listen to and obey the orders of the hidden overlords and their minions.

It is important to obey for sure. History shows that imagination is nothing but trouble. Or a lame song by that hippie John Lennon.

Well, there's also the real fear that some of the maps that get drawn in D&D games might turn out to be escape maps. I'm serious - I've heard that said by some very high up the foodchain officials as well as by some of the line staff.

I understand the fear. In my school nerds were not allowed to have hex paper for fear of G.E.V. and Ogre (Steve Jackson Microgames TM) interfering with daily indoctrination. My question is this. Every prison movie teaches us there is always "that guy" who can get an incarcerated individual anything they need. Usually for the price of two packs of smokes map making supplies, percentile die and rock hammers can be had by all. So instead of banning games shouldn't the prison system ban cliches?

Sweet. Papa needs a new pair of shoes!
err.
I mean I am only looking out for the best interests of the boy. I'm sure my family will see it my way eventually. Until then might there be an empty seat at your place next Holiday season?

Last edited:

The_Game

Your 7-year old nephew is not a gang leader - yet. The issue of learning cooperation and leader- follower-ship relates to gang activity only for those who did not learn all the rules while they were still not recidivists in the juvenile/adult correctional systems. The innocent youth of today (which we will for the moment presume includes your nephew) merely learn skills which enhance their membership in the Borg by playing games such as D&D or football or other team sports, as all of those have "others" who are not directly involved in the playing of the game who oversee and control the actions of the gamefield "leaders". They may be called coaches, or teachers, or Mayor, or Congressman/Senator, or even President. But you can be sure that there is someone watching over their every move, ready to step in and correct any improper behavior.

Gangs, on the other hand, do not select their leaders and position them out of the direct line of play. Gang leaders assume the position (Hey! There's a pun there. Laugh, darn you!) by overcoming all the other members and physically and mentally dominating them in order to maintain the position of gang leader. That is why gang leaders are so dangerous in prisons - they do not listen to and obey the orders of the hidden overlords and their minions.

Now, depnding of the laws of your state/locality, your nephew might still be a gang member if he regularly associates with somewhere between "three or more" and "five or more" individuals who come together regularly for the purpose of violating the law. You know, activities like playing WH when he's supposed to be doing his homework or cleaning his room, or staying up past his bedtime. If that's the case, you can take comfort in the fact that there are several federal law enforcement grants out there that provide money to the local law enforcement agencies to provide rewards for turning in names of gang members.

So rest easy. Either your nephew is not yet a gang leader and might, if he follows orders well, never become one. Or he really already is and you can get rich by turning him in. Win-Win, wither way.

stay safe.

Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh

HandyHamlet

7 years old and he writes his own rules for 1/144mm WWII tank warfare. He and his cousins play Wings of War too.

since9

Campaign Veteran
My 10-year old isn't too old for a wallop if he gets out of line. Haven't had to resort to such means to get his attention in more than a year, though.

Last edited: