Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SB 1250 State-wide Preemption to be Heard 2-1-2011

SB 1250 State-wide Preemption to be Heard 2-1-2011

SB 1250 the State-wide preemption bill is to be heard in the sub-committee #1 at 10:00am tomorrow according to the Legislative Services.

Senator John Edwards, e-mail address is : district21@senate.virginia.gov Phone : (804) 698-7521
    Senator Phillip P. Puckett, e-mail address is : district38@senate.virginia.gov Phone: (804) 698-7538
    Senator Frederick M. Quayle, e-mail address is: district13@senate.virginia.gov Phone: (804) 698-7513

It would be good to call these people and voice your support that this Bill be reported out with an affirmative vote.

Thank you for sharing.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

Is anybody familiar with the second amendment records of those senators?

edit: I also just sent an email to all three members of the sub-committee asking for their support
    Last edited by mpd8488; 01-31-2011 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mpd8488 View Post
    Is anybody familiar with the second amendment records of those senators?

edit: I also just sent an email to all three members of the sub-committee asking for their support
    Edwards and Quayle voted to support some firearms bills last year before the great kill off, but Puckett was not part of this full Senate committee last year. Last year's kill-off in sub-committee was by the Courts of Justice Committee, this bill is in the Rules Committee. He is from Tazewell, Virginia.
    Last edited by Virginiaplanter; 01-31-2011 at 04:07 PM.

Talking points

If anyone is planning to go speak to this bill.... it would be a very good point to make that just as before the statewide preemption of local ordinances was placed, we still find ourselves in a situation where there is a mish-mash of illogically disparate rules and regulations that are imposed upon law-abiding citizens by the various state agencies.

All the reasons that led to the very successful current preemption of local ordinances still exist, and even more so, for the various state agencies.

A law abiding citizen should not have to be, or hire a lawyer to know where it is legal or not legal to carry a firearm for self defense, especially when conducting business with state agencies whose purpose it is to serve the needs of our citizens.

With dozens of state agencies able to set their own rules and regulations for this issue, it's nearly impossible for an average citizen to know if they will be in compliance or not, without significant time spent on research.

TFred

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    If anyone is planning to go speak to this bill.... it would be a very good point to make that just as before the statewide preemption of local ordinances was placed, we still find ourselves in a situation where there is a mish-mash of illogically disparate rules and regulations that are imposed upon law-abiding citizens by the various state agencies.

All the reasons that led to the very successful current preemption of local ordinances still exist, and even more so, for the various state agencies.

A law abiding citizen should not have to be, or hire a lawyer to know where it is legal or not legal to carry a firearm for self defense, especially when conducting business with state agencies whose purpose it is to serve the needs of our citizens.

With dozens of state agencies able to set their own rules and regulations for this issue, it's nearly impossible for an average citizen to know if they will be in compliance or not, without significant time spent on research.

TFred
    I plan to be there to video it but I doubt I'll speak. I've only spoken on one bill this year and that wasn't gun related. I'm sure Philip and other VCDL people will be there and my policy is that in most cases, I only act in support of VCDL.

Too many Cooks...Etc.

NRA sent out an alert at about 5:30 for this and VCDL just sent there alert out (I got it around 9:20). These alerts were a bit last minute but hopefully we can get a lot of folks contacting these Senators before the sub-committee meeting tomorrow.

Sent an email to my Senator using the VCDL update-email link. I gotta say those email links are extremely convenient/useful. I wish I had been available to send it out earlier.

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA
    Contacted earlier today. Let's keep the pressure on for this.

Did you get the VCDL update? it has a prewriten message.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA
    I didn't wait for the VA Alert, because as PVC has pointed out previously in Alerts "action beats reaction".

We had actionable intel right here on the internet, able to be verified at the source.

I already sent a email thanks to OP. But I also saw the VCDL alert, so I sent out another email via VCDL update.
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 01-31-2011 at 11:37 PM.

Founder's Club Member
    Sent individual e-mails earlier this afternoon. Will assist the wifester in sending hers.

This morning SB 1250 was removed from the subcommittee #1 Docket as stated in the header of the link. It was not heard. Don't know why.

Quote Originally Posted by Virginiaplanter View Post
    This morning SB 1250 was removed from the subcommittee #1 Docket as stated in the header of the link. It was not heard. Don't know why.
    Does that mean it will be reheard? or they do not plan to go any further?

It appears from sources that everybody was caught by surprise. The Chairwoman of the full committee Senator Mary Margaret Whipple ask that it be removed from the docket, not the subcommittee members . That means it will either be heard by the full committee or be killed. Even the patron was not made aware that it was pulled. Everybody sat for two hours waiting for it to be called. It appears it may have done to kill it.

Senator Mary Margaret Whipple, Chairwoman Senate Rules Committee, E-mail: district31@senate.virginia.gov Phone: (804) 698-7531

It might be good to contact her office and ask that the full committee hear the bill.
    Last edited by Virginiaplanter; 02-01-2011 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Virginiaplanter View Post
    It appears from sources that everybody was caught by surprise. The Chairwoman of the full committee Senator Mary Margaret Whipple ask that it be removed from the docket, not the subcommittee members . That means it will either be heard by the full committee or be killed. Even the patron was not made aware that it was pulled. Everybody sat for two hours waiting for it to be called. It likely appears it was done to kill it.

Remember this come election time.

Senator Mary Margaret Whipple, Chairwoman Senate Rules Committee, E-mail: district31@senate.virginia.gov Phone: (804) 698-7531

It might be good to contact her office and ask that the full committee hear the bill.
    Well not everybody waited

I didn't see it on the docket when I got there an hour early, and talked to the NRA Rep about it. He checked and it looks like it will be heard by the full committee, possibly on Friday. We'll see.

I stayed for a while just so Goddard wouldn't know it was off of the docket. He got bored and even tried talking to me.

I had a couple of other Committee meetings to go to so I left when he started being friendly. I had the Vixia set up and Goddard thought it was small (It is a wee beastie)

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    I didn't see it on the docket when I got there an hour early, and talked to the NRA Rep about it. He checked and it looks like it will be heard by the full committee, possibly on Friday. We'll see.
    Called Senator Whipple's office. They claim to NOT know why it was pulled, but will have someone call me back. The lady sounded very frustrated - think they are getting some heat over this.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Called Senator Whipple's office. They claim to NOT know why it was pulled, but will have someone call me back. The lady sounded very frustrated - think they are getting some heat over this.
    Yeah, they are. I'm on the call back list too and it sounded like half of Va was too.

Apparently Philip knew because he never showed up.

Well, it may not become apparent right away, but you simply cannot make a continual habit of completely disregarding the rules and expect to keep getting away with it.

Eventually people are going to find out and get mad.

TFred

Well, it may not become apparent right away, but you simply cannot make a continual habit of completely disregarding the rules and expect to keep getting away with it.

Eventually people are going to find out and get mad.

TFred
    I'm trying to get Senator Vogel too. Her aid is tied up right now.

Just received this:

Dear Mr. ********,

The full Rules Committee is expected to meet this Friday and expected to vote on SB 1250.
    Hope this helps.

Arlene
    --
    Arlene Spinelli
    Legislative Assistant
    District 31
    Senate of Virginia

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpd8488 View Post
    Just received this:

Dear Mr. ********,

The full Rules Committee is expected to meet this Friday and expected to vote on SB 1250.
    Hope this helps.

Arlene
    --
    Arlene Spinelli
    Legislative Assistant
    District 31
    Senate of Virginia
    Appreciate the heads up.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 02-01-2011 at 04:03 PM. Reason: fixed
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Do the full committees allow citizens to speak to bills?

TFred

Do the full committees allow citizens to speak to bills?

TFred
    Yes!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast