• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB 1250 State-wide Preemption to be Heard 2-1-2011

Virginiaplanter

SB 1250 the State-wide preemption bill is to be heard in the sub-committee #1 at 10:00am tomorrow according to the Legislative Services.

Senator John Edwards, e-mail address is : district21@senate.virginia.gov Phone : (804) 698-7521
Senator Phillip P. Puckett, e-mail address is : district38@senate.virginia.gov Phone: (804) 698-7538
Senator Frederick M. Quayle, e-mail address is: district13@senate.virginia.gov Phone: (804) 698-7513

It would be good to call these people and voice your support that this Bill be reported out with an affirmative vote.

mpd8488

Is anybody familiar with the second amendment records of those senators?

edit: I also just sent an email to all three members of the sub-committee asking for their support

Last edited:

Virginiaplanter

Is anybody familiar with the second amendment records of those senators?

edit: I also just sent an email to all three members of the sub-committee asking for their support

Edwards and Quayle voted to support some firearms bills last year before the great kill off, but Puckett was not part of this full Senate committee last year. Last year's kill-off in sub-committee was by the Courts of Justice Committee, this bill is in the Rules Committee. He is from Tazewell, Virginia.

Last edited:

TFred

Talking points

If anyone is planning to go speak to this bill.... it would be a very good point to make that just as before the statewide preemption of local ordinances was placed, we still find ourselves in a situation where there is a mish-mash of illogically disparate rules and regulations that are imposed upon law-abiding citizens by the various state agencies.

All the reasons that led to the very successful current preemption of local ordinances still exist, and even more so, for the various state agencies.

A law abiding citizen should not have to be, or hire a lawyer to know where it is legal or not legal to carry a firearm for self defense, especially when conducting business with state agencies whose purpose it is to serve the needs of our citizens.

With dozens of state agencies able to set their own rules and regulations for this issue, it's nearly impossible for an average citizen to know if they will be in compliance or not, without significant time spent on research.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
If anyone is planning to go speak to this bill.... it would be a very good point to make that just as before the statewide preemption of local ordinances was placed, we still find ourselves in a situation where there is a mish-mash of illogically disparate rules and regulations that are imposed upon law-abiding citizens by the various state agencies.

All the reasons that led to the very successful current preemption of local ordinances still exist, and even more so, for the various state agencies.

A law abiding citizen should not have to be, or hire a lawyer to know where it is legal or not legal to carry a firearm for self defense, especially when conducting business with state agencies whose purpose it is to serve the needs of our citizens.

With dozens of state agencies able to set their own rules and regulations for this issue, it's nearly impossible for an average citizen to know if they will be in compliance or not, without significant time spent on research.

TFred

I plan to be there to video it but I doubt I'll speak. I've only spoken on one bill this year and that wasn't gun related. I'm sure Philip and other VCDL people will be there and my policy is that in most cases, I only act in support of VCDL.

Too many Cooks...Etc.

mpd8488

NRA sent out an alert at about 5:30 for this and VCDL just sent there alert out (I got it around 9:20). These alerts were a bit last minute but hopefully we can get a lot of folks contacting these Senators before the sub-committee meeting tomorrow.

Lincoln7

Sent an email to my Senator using the VCDL update-email link. I gotta say those email links are extremely convenient/useful. I wish I had been available to send it out earlier.

Virginiaplanter

It appears from sources that everybody was caught by surprise. The Chairwoman of the full committee Senator Mary Margaret Whipple ask that it be removed from the docket, not the subcommittee members . That means it will either be heard by the full committee or be killed. Even the patron was not made aware that it was pulled. Everybody sat for two hours waiting for it to be called. It appears it may have done to kill it.

Senator Mary Margaret Whipple, Chairwoman Senate Rules Committee, E-mail: district31@senate.virginia.gov Phone: (804) 698-7531

It might be good to contact her office and ask that the full committee hear the bill.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
It appears from sources that everybody was caught by surprise. The Chairwoman of the full committee Senator Mary Margaret Whipple ask that it be removed from the docket, not the subcommittee members . That means it will either be heard by the full committee or be killed. Even the patron was not made aware that it was pulled. Everybody sat for two hours waiting for it to be called. It likely appears it was done to kill it.

Remember this come election time.

Senator Mary Margaret Whipple, Chairwoman Senate Rules Committee, E-mail: district31@senate.virginia.gov Phone: (804) 698-7531

It might be good to contact her office and ask that the full committee hear the bill.

Well not everybody waited:lol:

I didn't see it on the docket when I got there an hour early, and talked to the NRA Rep about it. He checked and it looks like it will be heard by the full committee, possibly on Friday. We'll see.

I stayed for a while just so Goddard wouldn't know it was off of the docket. He got bored and even tried talking to me. :uhoh:

I had a couple of other Committee meetings to go to so I left when he started being friendly. I had the Vixia set up and Goddard thought it was small (It is a wee beastie):banghead:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I didn't see it on the docket when I got there an hour early, and talked to the NRA Rep about it. He checked and it looks like it will be heard by the full committee, possibly on Friday. We'll see.

Called Senator Whipple's office. They claim to NOT know why it was pulled, but will have someone call me back. The lady sounded very frustrated - think they are getting some heat over this.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Called Senator Whipple's office. They claim to NOT know why it was pulled, but will have someone call me back. The lady sounded very frustrated - think they are getting some heat over this.

Yeah, they are. I'm on the call back list too and it sounded like half of Va was too.

Apparently Philip knew because he never showed up.

TFred

Well, it may not become apparent right away, but you simply cannot make a continual habit of completely disregarding the rules and expect to keep getting away with it.

Eventually people are going to find out and get mad.

TFred