Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39

Thread: San Diego Event Post

  1. #1
    Regular Member Born2Lose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    PRK, East County San Diego
    Posts
    262

    San Diego Event Post

    Lets start planning some gatherings now. Not much happens until the summer.
    I'm East County born and raised so that's what i posted. Lets get some other links and maybe start a calendar. Obviously we'd do research on the area before we'd go anywhere.

    La Mesa Events
    http://www.lmvma.com/SeasonalEvents/Default.aspx

    El Cajon Mainpage
    http://www.downtownelcajon.com/

    El Cajon Calendar
    http://www.calendarwiz.com/calendars...ventscalendar&

    Lakeside
    http://www.lakesideca.info/parade-2011.html

    Santee
    http://www.ci.santee.ca.us/Index.aspx?page=202
    "If I don't have my pistol, I feel sort of naked." -Unosuke Gunfighter in the movie Yojimbo

  2. #2
    Regular Member Firemark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    445
    Awesome thread worthy of a sticky. Had a sit down and face to face with La Mesa PD watch commander today that went well, he is very pro 2A, wants to work with us not against us, is updating their training and presenting info to PD Chief and Mayor of La Mesa.
    If we plan any group gatherings we need to invite him to join us, especially the first few, he wants to meet and greet, press the flesh and see what UOC is all about.
    Probably the best interview of a LEO regarding UOC I have had yet.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Born2Lose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    PRK, East County San Diego
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemark View Post
    Awesome thread worthy of a sticky. Had a sit down and face to face with La Mesa PD watch commander today that went well, he is very pro 2A, wants to work with us not against us, is updating their training and presenting info to PD Chief and Mayor of La Mesa.
    If we plan any group gatherings we need to invite him to join us, especially the first few, he wants to meet and greet, press the flesh and see what UOC is all about.
    Probably the best interview of a LEO regarding UOC I have had yet.
    Cool! As long as he realizes we won't have ID and i won't give him my name. Kinda sucks when you have a name like mine. Can't just give my first name. He can just call me Born2Lose
    "If I don't have my pistol, I feel sort of naked." -Unosuke Gunfighter in the movie Yojimbo

  4. #4
    Regular Member Gundude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sandy Eggo County
    Posts
    1,691
    I wonder if he would like to be on Youtube?
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Firemark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by Born2Lose View Post
    Cool! As long as he realizes we won't have ID and i won't give him my name. Kinda sucks when you have a name like mine. Can't just give my first name. He can just call me Born2Lose
    He was kind enough to show me their training packet they had been using, it was all cut and paste from other departments from 2 years ago not up to date info. Sounds like their dept is under the idea that they MUST 'E' check all UOC'rs they encounter. But he was open to hearing about all that has transpired these past 2 years and seems positive and eager to develop rapport and familiarity. I figure the first few OC meets in La Mesa will draw 'E' checks but when it becomes common place it will probably change to a wave and nod from a distance. Should be a good city to carry in.
    Now who wants to lead up the 1000' zone mapping??
    Any takers???
    New to OPEN CARRY? Click here first

    "Gun owners in California in 2011 are like black people in the south in 1955. If you don't understand that then your concepts of fighting for gun rights is just tilting at windmills." Gene Hoffman.

    "Why do you need to carry a gun?" ...Because it not a Bill of Needs, its a Bill of Rights!!

  6. #6
    Regular Member Firemark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by Gundude View Post
    I wonder if he would like to be on Youtube?
    I told em all E checks are video'd, only the really really bad ones or the really really good ones get posted.

    He wasnt aware why we carry sterile or why we wont ID ourselves. After I explained the Theseus effect he understood it better. Also didnt realize how much of an affect GFSZ were, and how we have to pick and choose or gathering points.
    Last edited by Firemark; 02-01-2011 at 08:39 PM.
    New to OPEN CARRY? Click here first

    "Gun owners in California in 2011 are like black people in the south in 1955. If you don't understand that then your concepts of fighting for gun rights is just tilting at windmills." Gene Hoffman.

    "Why do you need to carry a gun?" ...Because it not a Bill of Needs, its a Bill of Rights!!

  7. #7
    Regular Member Gundude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sandy Eggo County
    Posts
    1,691
    La Mesa is tough. I found a Starbucks at 8497 Fletcher Parkway, La Mesa. It's clear as far as goggle earth shows.
    It might be a good place for some serious profiling.
    There seems to be a school every 500 ft.
    Last edited by Gundude; 02-01-2011 at 10:46 PM.
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Ruiner.NIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    La Mesa
    Posts
    53
    EC for Life!

    As La Mesa is my backyard, I will try to make it to all the EC events.

    Firemark,

    I would love to have to PD Chief attend our events. I have questions regarding La Mesa City parks. If there are any ordinances prohibiting OC.
    Last edited by Ruiner.NIN; 02-01-2011 at 10:53 PM.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Gundude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sandy Eggo County
    Posts
    1,691
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruiner.NIN View Post
    EC for Life!

    As La Mesa is my backyard, I will try to make it to all the EC events.

    Firemark,

    I would love to have to PD Chief attend our events. I have questions regarding La Mesa City parks. If there are any ordinances prohibiting OC.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    The only regulations for city parks are regarding firing of weapon. Carrying laws are pre-empted by state law.
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Ruiner.NIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    La Mesa
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Gundude View Post
    Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    The only regulations for city parks are regarding firing of weapon. Carrying laws are pre-empted by state law.
    Roger that, I found the PC code that applies.

    http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...ile=626-626.11

    It's also mentioned in the Open Carry pamphlet.
    Last edited by Ruiner.NIN; 02-01-2011 at 11:19 PM.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Roseville, California, USA
    Posts
    486
    Hey Firemark,

    Did you give the La Mesa PD watch commander a copy of Jose' Diaz/Jason Davis' settlement with San Fernando PD? It is the best training memo around.

    http://hoffmang.com/firearms/diaz/Di...dAgreement.pdf

    Good Luck!

    markm

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Oakley, California, United States
    Posts
    637
    Firemark,

    Looks like you have a good start on a great working relationship with the PD. Good job.

    Might I also suggest offering to help make a training video for the dept. Take a trusted few, 3-4 at most, and work with them. You have opened the door, they unlocked it for you. Do all you can to keep it professional and a positive experience for all involved.

    Dale

  13. #13
    Regular Member Firemark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkBofRAdvocate View Post
    Hey Firemark,

    Did you give the La Mesa PD watch commander a copy of Jose' Diaz/Jason Davis' settlement with San Fernando PD? It is the best training memo around.

    http://hoffmang.com/firearms/diaz/Di...dAgreement.pdf

    Good Luck!

    markm
    yep I showed him my copy and gave him the link to download a copy.
    New to OPEN CARRY? Click here first

    "Gun owners in California in 2011 are like black people in the south in 1955. If you don't understand that then your concepts of fighting for gun rights is just tilting at windmills." Gene Hoffman.

    "Why do you need to carry a gun?" ...Because it not a Bill of Needs, its a Bill of Rights!!

  14. #14
    Regular Member Firemark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by Iopencarry View Post
    Firemark,

    Looks like you have a good start on a great working relationship with the PD. Good job.

    Might I also suggest offering to help make a training video for the dept. Take a trusted few, 3-4 at most, and work with them. You have opened the door, they unlocked it for you. Do all you can to keep it professional and a positive experience for all involved.

    Dale
    I alluded to training and Oceanside may work with some UOC'rs to train their officers, as for professional and positive, I wear a blue uniform and a badge so it is easy to communicate with PD. We speak the same language and have the smae shared work experiences. So if we UOC'rs meet them half way and realize there is a feeling out period, a learning curve, it should turn out very good. Stay tuned for a meet up in La Mesa and expect LE invited to join us.
    New to OPEN CARRY? Click here first

    "Gun owners in California in 2011 are like black people in the south in 1955. If you don't understand that then your concepts of fighting for gun rights is just tilting at windmills." Gene Hoffman.

    "Why do you need to carry a gun?" ...Because it not a Bill of Needs, its a Bill of Rights!!

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Oakley, California, United States
    Posts
    637
    Good work.

  16. #16
    Regular Member Born2Lose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    PRK, East County San Diego
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemark View Post
    I alluded to training and Oceanside may work with some UOC'rs to train their officers, as for professional and positive, I wear a blue uniform and a badge so it is easy to communicate with PD. We speak the same language and have the smae shared work experiences. So if we UOC'rs meet them half way and realize there is a feeling out period, a learning curve, it should turn out very good. Stay tuned for a meet up in La Mesa and expect LE invited to join us.
    I'll be watching for it. Barring unforeseen circumstances I'm in!
    "If I don't have my pistol, I feel sort of naked." -Unosuke Gunfighter in the movie Yojimbo

  17. #17
    Regular Member Firemark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by Gundude View Post
    La Mesa is tough. I found a Starbucks at 8497 Fletcher Parkway, La Mesa. It's clear as far as goggle earth shows.
    It might be a good place for some serious profiling.
    There seems to be a school every 500 ft.
    My preliminary search shows that Starbucks appears to be clear of school zones. I also found the downtown La Mesa village area between Acacia avenue and Allison ave on La Mesa Blvd is also clear of GFSZ's. I still need to do more searching and need some feedback from others on their findings before UOC'ing there. Please post any findings.
    New to OPEN CARRY? Click here first

    "Gun owners in California in 2011 are like black people in the south in 1955. If you don't understand that then your concepts of fighting for gun rights is just tilting at windmills." Gene Hoffman.

    "Why do you need to carry a gun?" ...Because it not a Bill of Needs, its a Bill of Rights!!

  18. #18
    Regular Member Ruiner.NIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    La Mesa
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemark View Post
    My preliminary search shows that Starbucks appears to be clear of school zones. I also found the downtown La Mesa village area between Acacia avenue and Allison ave on La Mesa Blvd is also clear of GFSZ's. I still need to do more searching and need some feedback from others on their findings before UOC'ing there. Please post any findings.
    The closest possible GFSZ to La Mesa downtown that I could find are:

    Lemon Avenue Elementary School
    8787 Lemon Avenue, La Mesa, CA 91941-5499
    ~2500ft away from La Mesa Blvd, & Alison Ave

    Christ Lutheran Church
    7929 La Mesa Boulevard, La Mesa, CA 91941
    ~1300ft away from La Mesa Blvd & Acacia Ave

    Liberty Charter High School
    4207 Spring Gardens Road, La Mesa, CA 91941
    ~3600ft away from La Mesa Blvd

    St Martin Academy
    7708 El Cajon Boulevard, La Mesa, CA 91942-6932
    ~2900ft away from La Mesa Blvd & Acacia Ave
    Last edited by Ruiner.NIN; 02-04-2011 at 01:20 PM.

  19. #19
    Regular Member Gundude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sandy Eggo County
    Posts
    1,691
    I'm getting ready to drool. Someone ring the bell.
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

  20. #20
    Regular Member Ruiner.NIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    La Mesa
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Gundude View Post
    La Mesa is tough. I found a Starbucks at 8497 Fletcher Parkway, La Mesa. It's clear as far as goggle earth shows.
    It might be a good place for some serious profiling.
    There seems to be a school every 500 ft.
    The closest school I could find was Murray Manor which is ~2900ft away.

  21. #21
    Regular Member Born2Lose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    PRK, East County San Diego
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by Gundude View Post
    I'm getting ready to drool. Someone ring the bell.
    Hah..me too. Woof Woof!
    "If I don't have my pistol, I feel sort of naked." -Unosuke Gunfighter in the movie Yojimbo

  22. #22
    Regular Member Firemark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruiner.NIN View Post
    The closest possible GFSZ to La Mesa downtown that I could find are:

    Lemon Avenue Elementary School
    8787 Lemon Avenue, La Mesa, CA 91941-5499
    ~2500ft away from La Mesa Blvd, & Alison Ave

    Christ Lutheran Church
    7929 La Mesa Boulevard, La Mesa, CA 91941
    ~1300ft away from La Mesa Blvd & Acacia Ave

    Liberty Charter High School
    4207 Spring Gardens Road, La Mesa, CA 91941
    ~3600ft away from La Mesa Blvd

    St Martin Academy
    7708 El Cajon Boulevard, La Mesa, CA 91942-6932
    ~2900ft away from La Mesa Blvd & Acacia Ave
    ADD (didnt have time to measure 1000' bubbles)
    Warren Walker Private
    5150 Wilson

    Montessori taproot
    5173 Guava

    East region Community
    8374 Hercules

    Murray manor elementary
    8305 El Paso
    New to OPEN CARRY? Click here first

    "Gun owners in California in 2011 are like black people in the south in 1955. If you don't understand that then your concepts of fighting for gun rights is just tilting at windmills." Gene Hoffman.

    "Why do you need to carry a gun?" ...Because it not a Bill of Needs, its a Bill of Rights!!

  23. #23
    Regular Member Ruiner.NIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    La Mesa
    Posts
    53
    Google Earth results for locations below:


    • Warren Walker Private
      5150 Wilson
      ~3800ft away from La Mesa Blvd & Alison Ave
    • Montessori taproot (Pre-school with Kindergarten)
      5173 Guava
      ~4000ft Away from La Mesa Blvd & Acacia Ave
    • East region Community
      8374 Hercules
      ~3000ft from La Mesa Blvd & Alison Ave.
    • Murray manor elementary
      8305 El Paso
      ~7600ft Away from La Mesa Blvd & Alison Ave
    Last edited by Ruiner.NIN; 02-04-2011 at 04:53 PM.

  24. #24
    Regular Member Born2Lose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    PRK, East County San Diego
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruiner.NIN View Post
    Google Earth results for locations below:


    • Warren Walker Private
      5150 Wilson
      ~3800ft away from La Mesa Blvd & Alison Ave
    • Montessori taproot (Pre-school)
      5173 Guava
    • East region Community (Administrative Offices?)
      8374 Hercules
    • Murray manor elementary
      8305 El Paso
      ~7600ft Away from La Mesa Blvd & Alison Ave
    Pre-School? Do they teach Kindergarten there?
    When i was a kid preschool was everything before Preschool and school was K-12.
    "If I don't have my pistol, I feel sort of naked." -Unosuke Gunfighter in the movie Yojimbo

  25. #25
    Regular Member Ruiner.NIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    La Mesa
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Born2Lose View Post
    Pre-School? Do they teach Kindergarten there?
    When i was a kid preschool was everything before Preschool and school was K-12.
    Not sure, their website is http://www.taprootpreschool.com/Site_2/Home.html

    According to their schedule, there seems to be a kindergarten program.

    The good news is that it is over 4000' from La Mesa Downtown
    Last edited by Ruiner.NIN; 02-04-2011 at 01:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •