• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

San Diego Event Post

Born2Lose

Lets start planning some gatherings now. Not much happens until the summer.
I'm East County born and raised so that's what i posted. Lets get some other links and maybe start a calendar. Obviously we'd do research on the area before we'd go anywhere.

La Mesa Events
http://www.lmvma.com/SeasonalEvents/Default.aspx

El Cajon Mainpage
http://www.downtownelcajon.com/

El Cajon Calendar
http://www.calendarwiz.com/calendars/calendar.php?crd=cdceventscalendar&

Lakeside
http://www.lakesideca.info/parade-2011.html

Santee
http://www.ci.santee.ca.us/Index.aspx?page=202

Firemark

Awesome thread worthy of a sticky. Had a sit down and face to face with La Mesa PD watch commander today that went well, he is very pro 2A, wants to work with us not against us, is updating their training and presenting info to PD Chief and Mayor of La Mesa.
If we plan any group gatherings we need to invite him to join us, especially the first few, he wants to meet and greet, press the flesh and see what UOC is all about.
Probably the best interview of a LEO regarding UOC I have had yet.

Born2Lose

Awesome thread worthy of a sticky. Had a sit down and face to face with La Mesa PD watch commander today that went well, he is very pro 2A, wants to work with us not against us, is updating their training and presenting info to PD Chief and Mayor of La Mesa.
If we plan any group gatherings we need to invite him to join us, especially the first few, he wants to meet and greet, press the flesh and see what UOC is all about.
Probably the best interview of a LEO regarding UOC I have had yet.

Cool! As long as he realizes we won't have ID and i won't give him my name. Kinda sucks when you have a name like mine. Can't just give my first name. He can just call me Born2Lose :)

Firemark

Cool! As long as he realizes we won't have ID and i won't give him my name. Kinda sucks when you have a name like mine. Can't just give my first name. He can just call me Born2Lose :)

He was kind enough to show me their training packet they had been using, it was all cut and paste from other departments from 2 years ago not up to date info. Sounds like their dept is under the idea that they MUST 'E' check all UOC'rs they encounter. But he was open to hearing about all that has transpired these past 2 years and seems positive and eager to develop rapport and familiarity. I figure the first few OC meets in La Mesa will draw 'E' checks but when it becomes common place it will probably change to a wave and nod from a distance. Should be a good city to carry in.
Now who wants to lead up the 1000' zone mapping??
Any takers???

Firemark

I wonder if he would like to be on Youtube?

I told em all E checks are video'd, only the really really bad ones or the really really good ones get posted.

He wasnt aware why we carry sterile or why we wont ID ourselves. After I explained the Theseus effect he understood it better. Also didnt realize how much of an affect GFSZ were, and how we have to pick and choose or gathering points.

Last edited:

Gundude

La Mesa is tough. I found a Starbucks at 8497 Fletcher Parkway, La Mesa. It's clear as far as goggle earth shows.
It might be a good place for some serious profiling. :lol:
There seems to be a school every 500 ft.

Last edited:

Ruiner.NIN

EC for Life!

As La Mesa is my backyard, I will try to make it to all the EC events.

Firemark,

I would love to have to PD Chief attend our events. I have questions regarding La Mesa City parks. If there are any ordinances prohibiting OC.

Last edited:

Gundude

EC for Life!

As La Mesa is my backyard, I will try to make it to all the EC events.

Firemark,

I would love to have to PD Chief attend our events. I have questions regarding La Mesa City parks. If there are any ordinances prohibiting OC.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
The only regulations for city parks are regarding firing of weapon. Carrying laws are pre-empted by state law.

Iopencarry

Firemark,

Looks like you have a good start on a great working relationship with the PD. Good job.

Might I also suggest offering to help make a training video for the dept. Take a trusted few, 3-4 at most, and work with them. You have opened the door, they unlocked it for you. Do all you can to keep it professional and a positive experience for all involved.

Dale

Firemark

Firemark,

Looks like you have a good start on a great working relationship with the PD. Good job.

Might I also suggest offering to help make a training video for the dept. Take a trusted few, 3-4 at most, and work with them. You have opened the door, they unlocked it for you. Do all you can to keep it professional and a positive experience for all involved.

Dale

I alluded to training and Oceanside may work with some UOC'rs to train their officers, as for professional and positive, I wear a blue uniform and a badge so it is easy to communicate with PD. We speak the same language and have the smae shared work experiences. So if we UOC'rs meet them half way and realize there is a feeling out period, a learning curve, it should turn out very good. Stay tuned for a meet up in La Mesa and expect LE invited to join us.

Born2Lose

I alluded to training and Oceanside may work with some UOC'rs to train their officers, as for professional and positive, I wear a blue uniform and a badge so it is easy to communicate with PD. We speak the same language and have the smae shared work experiences. So if we UOC'rs meet them half way and realize there is a feeling out period, a learning curve, it should turn out very good. Stay tuned for a meet up in La Mesa and expect LE invited to join us.

I'll be watching for it. Barring unforeseen circumstances I'm in!

Firemark

La Mesa is tough. I found a Starbucks at 8497 Fletcher Parkway, La Mesa. It's clear as far as goggle earth shows.

My preliminary search shows that Starbucks appears to be clear of school zones. I also found the downtown La Mesa village area between Acacia avenue and Allison ave on La Mesa Blvd is also clear of GFSZ's. I still need to do more searching and need some feedback from others on their findings before UOC'ing there. Please post any findings.

Ruiner.NIN

My preliminary search shows that Starbucks appears to be clear of school zones. I also found the downtown La Mesa village area between Acacia avenue and Allison ave on La Mesa Blvd is also clear of GFSZ's. I still need to do more searching and need some feedback from others on their findings before UOC'ing there. Please post any findings.

The closest possible GFSZ to La Mesa downtown that I could find are:

Lemon Avenue Elementary School
8787 Lemon Avenue, La Mesa, CA 91941-5499
~2500ft away from La Mesa Blvd, & Alison Ave :)

Christ Lutheran Church
7929 La Mesa Boulevard, La Mesa, CA 91941
~1300ft away from La Mesa Blvd & Acacia Ave :)

Liberty Charter High School
4207 Spring Gardens Road, La Mesa, CA 91941
~3600ft away from La Mesa Blvd :)

St Martin Academy
7708 El Cajon Boulevard, La Mesa, CA 91942-6932
~2900ft away from La Mesa Blvd & Acacia Ave :)

Last edited:

Ruiner.NIN

The closest school I could find was Murray Manor which is ~2900ft away.