• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry at Michigan State University

mckaloz1

MSU Ordinance

http://trustees.msu.edu/ordinances/ordinances_sec18.html

18.01 Possession prohibited; exceptions
18.02 Use of chemicals prohibited
18.03 Use prohibited; exceptions
18.04 Not applicable to police officers
18.05 Relationship to University policy

.01 Except as permitted by state law regulating firearms, no person shall possess any firearm or weapon anywhere upon property governed by the Board. Persons residing on property governed by the Board shall store any and all firearms and weapons with the Department of Police and Public Safety.

.02 No person shall possess any chemical, biological, radioactive, or other dangerous substance or compound, with the intent of using the same to injure, molest, or coerce another, anywhere upon property governed by the Board.

.03 The use of any firearm or weapon is prohibited upon property governed by the Board except those areas specifically set aside and supervised at range facilities, or as part of the regular education process, or as outlined in Ordinance 37.02 and its subsections.

.04 This ordinance shall not apply to Police Officers and other legally established law enforcement officers.

.05 This ordinance does not alter the terms of any University policies that regulate the use or possession of firearms.

Enacted: September 15, 1964
Amended: December 11, 1987
Amended: December 10, 1994
Amended: April 14, 1995
Amended: April 12, 2002
Amended: June 19, 2009

Along with that, State Law prohibits CONCEALED CARRY in College, Community College or University Classrooms and Dormitories (see last line below)

MCL 28.425o Premises on which carrying concealed weapon prohibited; “premises” defined; exceptions to subsection (1); violation; penalties.
Sec. 5o.

(1) Subject to subsection (4), an individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol, or who is exempt from licensure under section 12a(1)(f), shall not carry a concealed pistol on the premises of any of the following:

(a) A school or school property except that a parent or legal guardian of a student of the school is not precluded from carrying a concealed pistol while in a vehicle on school property, if he or she is dropping the student off at the school or picking up the child from the school. As used in this section, "school" and "school property" mean those terms as defined in section 237a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.237a.

(b) A public or private child care center or day care center, public or private child caring institution, or public or private child placing agency.

(c) A sports arena or stadium.

(d) A bar or tavern licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, where the primary source of income of the business is the sale of alcoholic liquor by the glass and consumed on the premises. This subdivision does not apply to an owner or employee of the business. The Michigan liquor control commission shall develop and make available to holders of licenses under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, an appropriate sign stating that "This establishment prohibits patrons from carrying concealed weapons". The owner or operator of an establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, may, but is not required to, post the sign developed under this subdivision. A record made available by an establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, necessary to enforce this subdivision is exempt from disclosure under the freedom of information act, 1976 PA 442, MCL 15.231 to 15.246.

(e) Any property or facility owned or operated by a church, synagogue, mosque, temple, or other place of worship, unless the presiding official or officials of the church, synagogue, mosque, temple, or other place of worship permit the carrying of concealed pistol on that property or facility.

(f) An entertainment facility with a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals that the individual knows or should know has a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals or that has a sign above each public entrance stating in letters not less than 1-inch high a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals.

(g) A hospital.

(h) A dormitory or classroom of a community college, college, or university.

Last edited:

elkk

Michigan law prohibits concealed carry in my setting, but it never cites open carry. And since that MSU ordinance essentially mirrors State law, wouldn't I be able to?

zack991

I have said this time and time again, I refuse to spend even a cent at any school that prohibits me from protecting myself PERIOD. If you truly want to make a difference don't give them your money. It is just like you would never spend your money at a store that stops you, why would you ever spend the near 80K plus in some cases to a school that does. If you do shame on you, your part of the problem and it will never change. I attend a pro gun college via online courses for my degree, if i lived closer to the campus I would attend the actually college. Why should these ant-gun colleges change their policy, if you and others are still spending your money there.

Last edited:

lil_freak_66

Ive been on MSU property before while OC,they know the firearms portion allows it if its already legal anywhere else.

be sure you do NOT and i repeat,DO NOT have any other "weapons" than a firearm.knives are completely banned,even little pocket knives and multitools,if they cant stop you for the gun,then they for sure will for the knife,MSU cops are real strict on the no weapons policy.

Students can,and probably are more restricted than the general public though,i believe i read somewhere that students may not posses in classrooms or dorms,and must check they're firearms in with the campus police.