• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lakewood Worksource Signage "No Weapons"

Bill Starks

State Researcher
After waiting over a week for my Emergency unemployment extension to arrive in the mail, I decide to head over to the local office to get a copy and get it mailed. I get to the door and what do I see?
IMG00095.jpg

So knowing preemption covers me I head in anyway. I get upstairs and find the following sign (sorry for the blur but I got it on the way out after I got my needed forms.

IMG00094.jpg

I got the lady's name who is in charge of the facility, left her a voice mail to call me back. The office manager cited me Cherry v Seattle as the court case that allows them to put up the signage. I informed her that Cherry was an employee not a member of the public and that I am still allowed to carry my weapon on the bus, even afetr the case concluded. The sign to the Worksource office quotes RCW 9.41.270..

I have some info from when BigDave brought this to light about Yakima and had Mark Knapp (Federal Way Atty) do a write up on it. I'll keep you informed about my progress.

.45ACPaddy

...why are they quoting that law when it has nothing to do with where firearms may be carried?

They need to pull their heads out...

Sparky508

...why are they quoting that law when it has nothing to do with where firearms may be carried?

They need to pull their heads out...

Partialy OT, but as a joke, sometimes we quote off some BS WAC rule or NEC Code article that either doesn't exist or doesn't pertain to the topic at hand to see how far it goes.

I suspect that in the same, but less humorous fashion, many less educated folks are turned by signage that misrepresent RCWs.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
The manager told me the Cherry v Seattle Metro is the reason. When I told her that didn't fly she then quoted RCW 9A.76.180 which is basically deals with "imitating a public servant." I showed her a copy of Mark Knapps letter and said the 9A RCW didn't fly either...

I left her copies of RCW 9.41.270, .290, .300, AGO 2008 No. 8 as well as a copy of Mark Knapps letter to the Risk Management program manager.

I got moved up to a higher position to talk to... more info to come.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
This is what I received from them a couple of years ago.

Good afternoon Mr. XXXX

Your inquiry regarding the sign on the WorkSource Yakima office that says, “Notice, No Weapons Allowed. The possession of any and all dangerous weapons is prohibited on these premises” has been referred to me. The policy of prohibiting weapons in our offices exists to protect the public, as well as our staff who provide services to the public at offices throughout the state. The prohibition was put into effect after consideration of the authorities provided the Commissioner of the Employment Security Department in Title 50 RCW to administer the statute; 9.41RCW pertaining to weapons; and 9A.76 RCW that ensures state employees are free from intimidation when performing their duties.

I hope the explanation above provides you ample information in response to your inquiry.

John Nacht, ARM
Risk Management Program Administrator
Employment Security Department
360-438-3140

All of his references have to do with Management Employee Relations I believe not the public.