• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New York Mayor Bloomberg Sends investigators to purchase hand guns in AZ

JJC

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg said on Monday.

Investigators working for New York City, prompted by the Tucson shooting that killed six people and injured 13, bought 9mm handguns at the Crossroads of the West Gun Show in Phoenix and secretly videotaped the transactions, Bloomberg said.

Now I know If "I" a regular person hired somebody to purchase firearms in another state for me, I'm thinking that would be called a "Straw" purchase.

Is there or is there NOT a law prohibiting such a thing.

Since Bloomberg is still free, I guess that's not the case.

JJC

bikemutt

Bloomberg may well be out of bounds on this one but it still does not look good for the cause.

Supposedly he's going to release the "report" today so we know he's not just blowing smoke. We'll see.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
Bet the people of Arizona really like New York City cops or paid operatives coming into their state and seting up stings. I don't believe that New York City has law enforcement authority in Arizonia. Appears that the buyers were guity of being straw buyers.

In regard to the sellers. If there is a seller at a show with dozens of guns, especially one with several of the same model is obviously in the firearm selling business and should have a FFL. Where's the ATF at these shows? Having coffee and doughnuts? Enforce the law.

Last edited:

protias

Bet the people of Arizona really like New York City cops or paid operatives coming into their state and seting up stings. I don't believe that New York City has law enforcement authority in Arizonia. Appears that the buyers were guity of being straw buyers.

In regard to the sellers. If there is a seller at a show with dozens of guns, especially one with several of the same model is obviously in the firearm selling business and should have a FFL. Where's the ATF at these shows? Having coffee and doughnuts? Enforce the law.
Is there a law forbidding the sale of several guns of the same model?

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
Is there a law forbidding the sale of several guns of the same model?

The question is whether or not the seller is in the business of gun selling. I have a lot of guns, but none of the same model. The "unlicensed" gun show dealer issue is clobbering us. I keep coming back to "where's the ATF?" If Loonbird's New York City taxpayer paid thugs can make straw purchases or buy as someone who admits they would not pass a background check at these shows why can't the ATF?

Last edited:

bikemutt

If Loonbird's New York City taxpayer paid thugs can make straw purchases or buy as someone who admits they would not pass a background check at these shows why can't the ATF?

Amen to that, could not have said it better.

The two major gun shows here in Western WA require membership in order to buy a gun. Membership requires either a background check or a CPL. At least that's my understanding of how it works. In spite of all the roadblocks, we still see turds in the punch bowl from time to time. The most recent turd that comes to mind is doing time, thanks to BATFE.

CalicoJack10

This one time, in boot camp, I stuck a foot in your............ Never mind.

The question on my mind is if this official, no matter who he is, intended to commit a "Straw Purchase" in an area that he knew it to be unlawful for a transfer of the firearm, why is his a** not in jail. That is a federal crime.

Phred and I just explained that to a guy at the gun show in Wausau WI this past weekend. It is clearly illegal for you to sell a handgun to someone from out of state without the involvement of a firearms dealer in the purchasers home state. And that is set in stone. So if this Mayor sent people to purchase handguns that he could not legally purchase (As he could not without an FFL involved) then he is guilty of a federal crime. The law is very clear about that. Man, I wish I was a mayor so that I could go and do illegal **** and get away with it. Or a cop, or a fed, or a PMC, or a................. :banghead:

http://discussions.latimes.com/20/lanews/la-na-bloomberg-arizona-guns-20110201/10

I left a comment, will you?????

Last edited:

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
So, did the people of New York fund this little expedition to AZ, or did he pay for this out of his own pocket.

This guy is a tyrant and control freak, plain and simple. Is anyone aware of his war against salt?
This nutjob tried to get a law passed that would prohibit any restaurant from using any salt whatsoever in any of their food preparation.
he also spent about $500K of taxpayer money to place billboards on public transportation against canned soup because of the salt content.

What is the current law for private sales V. licensed dealer. Is it something like anymore than 3 guns per year requires an FFL?
Ooh, maybe for Halloween he could send some to Wisconsin yo buy an old ford truck from a private seller and bring that back to New York to see if it passes their vehicle inspection process and do a story on that.

So, if I buy a used 12GA from my neighbor because he needs the money to buy firewood, is that a crime? what if he sells me his entire collection? Is he then illegally selling without an FFL?
According to the gun facts PDF shared on this site, something like only 4% of criminally owned guns are acquired from gun shows. Over 80% are stolen and then traded among themselves.
The simple fact is that guns can and will be stolen, by creating more laws and regulations it only makes it more difficult for the law-abiding to get a firearm. It will not affect the criminals one flippin bit!
Imagine you have a college-aged daughter and she is going to school out of state someplace, she finds out she has a stalker who is now threatening violence against her, would you like her to be able to legally buy a gun in a private sale immediately, or be required to wait to be able to defend her life?

Maybe creating more laws against narcotics will slow the illegal trade, possession, and use of them? What do you think? I think we already understand how well that works out!
I think the BATFE should go pay this alleged purchaser a little visit, and he/she should be arrested and charged under the current laws that they are obviously not enforcing. All the evidence of this illegal purchase is on video, right?

JoeSparky

Centurion
Isn't there a federal law against buying handguns in a state that you are NOT A RESIDENT OF..... Report him to the FBI each and every time he does this.... Bloomburg is a MAYOR of a City in the State of NewYork. I don't believe he is a Federal Law Enforcement agent nor do I believe that he is employed by the FEDS!

M

McX

if he was realy so damn investigative he would have shopped for some guns on the streets of NY, not divert attention from his home city/state by going elsewhere.

XDFDE45

When he did this in Virginia a few years ago the ATF basically to him to back the :cuss: off. He is the kind of egomaniac that will continue to do this until the ATF or DOJ come down on him HARD.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
When he did this in Virginia a few years ago the ATF basically to him to back the :cuss: off. He is the kind of egomaniac that will continue to do this until the ATF or DOJ come down on him HARD.

Here is a quote from a newspaper article:

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2011/feb/01/bloomberg-under-fire-over-ariz-gun-sale-sting/

"Jim Cavanaugh, a retired agent for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, where he was in charge of the Nashville division, said he didn't believe the sales described by the mayor were, in fact, illegal.

As for Bloomberg, he said, 'ATF has asked him not to do it and to please coordinate with ATF if he thinks a violation is occurring.'

'It's not a prosecutable offense' because the purchasers were not truly felons, minors or drug abusers and because they didn't tell the sellers definitively that they were, Cavanaugh said."

Conclusions:

Loonberg is a megalomaiac who thinks he is above the law.

The ATF continues to give him a free pass to send operatives to other jurisdictions to make straw buys.

The sellers did not violate any laws, but the media, particularily MSNBC refuses to point this out.

Questions:

If the ATF will not do anything about this, will Arizona pursue criminal charges against Loonberg's operatives and Loonberg?

Where did the money to fund this operation come from?

Last edited:

zoom6zoom

Dear Mayor Bloomberg;
Since you're apparently unfamiliar with where your jurisdiction and authority end, please review the attached map of New York City.

Please note that Arizona, Virginia, and other sovereign states do not exist anywhere within these boundaries.

I'm sure the residents (I hesitate to use the word citizens, as they apparently don't share the same Constitutionally protected rights as the rest of us) of your city would be happy to have you expend those funds on problems more locally.

new%20york_city.gif

aadvark

New York Authorites have NO Authority in Arizona..., as this was just a Publicity Stunt.

Sonora Rebel

In my opinion... the seller did not apply due dilligence in his continuance of the sale when the straw buyer indicated he 'Prob'ly couldn't pass the background check'. The law requires that the sale be intra-state and the buyer produced an AZ drivers license for proof of that. No private seller has any means to verify any other qualifications other than (forinstance) the buyer produced a valid AZ CWP permit which would indicate that a background check had been completed. An AZ CWP is not required intra-state any longer but is advisable for certain situations/areas that still require the bearer to have them. OK... I can live with that even tho I don't agree with it.

Not just to complain... but I do recognize and will offer a solution to the so-called 'gun show loop-hole' as applicable to AZ. Private sales would be contingent upon proof of state residency AND possession of a valid AZ CWP. That would satisfy the 'background investigation' that the Bloombergers get their panties inna wad about.

Bloomburg is a control freak, attention whore plain and simple. He has no legitimate authority past NYC limits.

jbone

SNIP...This guy is a tyrant and control freak, plain and simple. Is anyone aware of his war against salt? This nutjob tried to get a law passed that would prohibit any restaurant from using any salt whatsoever in any of their food preparation. he also spent about $500K of taxpayer money to place billboards on public transportation against canned soup because of the salt content.

I bet he's the jerk responsible for the disappearance of the world’s best fries, and recent sea salt BS fries at Wendy's:banghead:

END_THE_FED

I bet he's the jerk responsible for the disappearance of the world’s best fries, and recent sea salt BS fries at Wendy's:banghead:

What were the "worlds best fries"? (just curious)
FWIW The new fries at Wendy's actually have more salt per serving then the old ones.

(This comment was for clarity only and in no way should be taken as a defense of Bloomberg or his complete idiocy)

END_THE_FED

I do recognize and will offer a solution to the so-called 'gun show loop-hole' as applicable to AZ. Private sales would be contingent upon proof of state residency AND possession of a valid AZ CWP.................

I would offer another solution to the "gun show loop-hole".
Get rid of the FFL requirements completely. (except in areas where the federal government has "exclusive legeslative jurisdiction")

Or to put it another way...... "shall not be infringed" means, "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED".