Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time for a GSL student produced video?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Time for a GSL student produced video?

Governor McDonnell Announces Campus Safety and Violence Prevention PSA Challenge
    Public Will Select Winners Through Online Voting

Winning PSA Will Air on Television Statewide

http://www.governor.virginia.gov/new...ase.cfm?id=581

Here is an opportunity for the pro self-defense, college community to speak out and deliver a message that potentially will be heard and seen across the Commonwealth.

Who will step up to accept the challenge?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post

Governor McDonnell Announces Campus Safety and Violence Prevention PSA Challenge
    Public Will Select Winners Through Online Voting

Winning PSA Will Air on Television Statewide

http://www.governor.virginia.gov/new...ase.cfm?id=581

Here is an opportunity for the pro self-defense, college community to speak out and deliver a message that potentially will be heard and seen across the Commonwealth.

I would put my money into such an endeavor. A second amendment style proposal could be a good thing.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nuc65 View Post
    I would put my money into such an endeavor. A second amendment style proposal could be a good thing.
    There's bound to be a film student somewhere at GMU that's pro 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    There's bound to be a film student somewhere at GMU that's pro 2nd.
    Or at any university, college or community college in the state.

VT? UVA? One gung ho bunch is all we need - others will jump in to support if needed.

Might I add that we represent a sizable voting block between VCDL and OCDO.

Please note "must be postmarked or submitted online by April 30, 2011."
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 01-31-2011 at 08:59 PM. Reason: added
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Or at any university, college or community college in the state.

VT? UVA? One gung ho bunch is all we need - others will jump in to support if needed.

Might I add that we represent a sizable voting block between VCDL and OCDO.

Please note "must be postmarked or submitted online by April 30, 2011."
    If you're going out of GMU, VCU would be the place to look. The problem is simple logistics.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    I would bet some kid that does not care about his future or grades or efforts of his parents to get him to school. I believe the repercussions from the school, anti's, and everyone else (except us.. and those like us) would be negativly overwhelming. If they "got it", they would already "get it" without a film.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Sadly, the effort would not stand a chance. A video may be worthwhile, it could be promoted through alternate venues, but not a chance in this contest.

See this, buried deep in the rules webpage linked above:

The Governor's Office of Substance Abuse Prevention will narrow entries to a select group which will be posted online for voting.

It's a rigged contest from the start.

TFred
    Last edited by TFred; 01-31-2011 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    I would bet some kid that does not care about his future or grades or efforts of his parents to get him to school. I believe the repercussions from the school, anti's, and everyone else (except us.. and those like us) would be negativly overwhelming. If they "got it", they would already "get it" without a film.
    All it takes is one dedicated, capable and responsible enthusiast like Shane Belanger - pre-med student and founder of Maine Open Carry Association.
    http://www.maineopencarry.org/

Do the job right and post it here and on YouTube would in itself be worth the effort.

All it takes is one dedicated, capable and responsible enthusiast like Shane Belanger - pre-med student and founder of Maine Open Carry Association.
    http://www.maineopencarry.org/

Do the job right and post it here and on YouTube would in itself be worth the effort.
    I know Shane and have asked him to respond
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

I know Shane and have asked him to respond
    I would have already done the same where he illegible.

"All entrants must be enrolled as a student at a Virginia public, private, four year or two year college or university."
    http://www.publicsafety.virginia.gov...Conditions.pdf

I am a part time student at Nvcc, does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by crazydude6030 View Post
    I am a part time student at Nvcc, does that count?
    sure it does.. an old fart like ME does not have a "dog in the fight".. I think an active student that believes in what we believe in
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

sure it does.. an old fart like ME does not have a "dog in the fight".. I think an active student that believes in what we believe in
    I am a student, but I am also employed full time and have a family. I don't have much time on my hands but I'll see what I can do.

Sounds like it would be a good project for GMU SCCC, but I think the group is still defunct. I could shoot a video with my iPhone and edit it in iMovie, but it would probably be awful and not stand a chance of winning.

I think someone should make a video of a shooter going into a classroom and firing at students, and all the students do is throw books at the shooter (remember that safety poster at JMU? It says to throw objects at the shooter). That should do a decent job in proving the point that gun free zones are worthless and that throwing anything but lead at the shooter is not going to get the job done.

I'm sure they are going to be looking for something that "toes the company line..." walking in groups, situational awareness, etc... But I bet an entry might just make it through the cut that had a few short clips from a self-defense, or martial arts class, including a scene that is obviously a training session at a shooting range.

I see a student (preferably a female student) with proper eye and ear protection being instructed in the proper stance and grip of a pistol at a range.

They obviously aren't going to take an entry with GSL as the primary theme, but one might very well include it among a story of overall safety issues.

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by crazydude6030 View Post
    I am a student, but I am also employed full time and have a family. I don't have much time on my hands but I'll see what I can do.
    video of no longer than 30 seconds in length

Take a look at the rules:

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    I'm sure they are going to be looking for something that "toes the company line..." walking in groups, situational awareness, etc... But I bet an entry might just make it through the cut that had a few short clips from a self-defense, or martial arts class, including a scene that is obviously a training session at a shooting range.

I see a student (preferably a female student) with proper eye and ear protection being instructed in the proper stance and grip of a pistol at a range.

They obviously aren't going to take an entry with GSL as the primary theme, but one might very well include it among a story of overall safety issues.

TFred
    Pretty much what I was just thinking about. I am trying to figure out how to present carry into the topic without it being seen as inappropriate and still making it deep into the competition.

Red face

video of no longer than 30 seconds in length

Take a look at the rules:
    Yeah i was a bit quick to post that..

Reading through the rules it seems a lot of tiptoeing might need to be done. The idea is to get it chosen and seen across the board while making my point. I think we will need a few students for this. As for the young lady idea, I have a young lady in mind that might be willing to help ;-)

Accomplished Advocate
    Well, I can speak from experience on this one. I have been torn apart by one professor in particular that I know about. He actually did an entire class on how "stupid and ignorant" I was. I only know this because one of my friends was in the class (of course he didn't defend me for fear of repercussions). While you do get the bad press, which isn't so great considering I'm 20 years old and a few people think that I am way out in right field overall it's not bad.

I am putting myself through college, currently I am right around 49K in debt... because of this I have to join the USAF to back-pay my college loans. My parents do not pay a penny for my schooling, nor would I want them to. I guess I'm just stubborn. It always amazes me that people will write about how I "just want the attention", or how I "just like to see myself on TV. Although, I must say that my favorite is when they say that I'm "wasting daddy's money and not actually going to school".

Of course, this is all false. If you are younger like I am, you aren't always taken seriously. And people will never see the true reason why you are trying to start a movement. They will simply see a kid on the television screen and think that they must have an ulterior motive besides the fact that they are a freedom loving American.

At the end of the day, if you truly believe in something. Nothing can stop you from achieving it. Yes, in college professors can do pretty much whatever they want with your grades, and I have had to fight for a few of my grades to be what they truly should have been. There is always a "reason" why the you have gotten all A's on your papers, yet your final grade shows up as a C... You need to stand your ground no matter what and be 110% sure of yourself. You can't question anything you have done, or are doing. And you CAN'T give ANYONE any reason to just write you off. <-- looking at the teachers here.

This probably isn't well formed, or clear but there is simply so much to portray here. You cannot let anyone stop you from doing what you think is right in life. If you stop doing what you think is right, you will have lost who you are and what you stand for. When I look in the mirror I know that no matter what anyone thinks of me I am doing absolutely everything I can for the things that I believe in. When I die, no one will ever be able to say that I didn't do exactly what I wanted to do, nor can they say that I didn't live my life to the fullest or didn't reach my potential (whether they liked me or not). At the end of the day, it's only what you think of yourself that matters. And if you hold your head high, no one will be able to bring you down... there will always be enough fight left in you to right the wrongs that have been done to you. And believe me, with enough perseverance you can change everything.

P.S. I am not the only person who is going to college and fighting for our rights. If you look at the MOCA website you can see the name Forrest Brown right up there with mine and he is a fellow USM student, actually a fellow Biology Major. MOCA would not be what it is today without him.

I lack the skills required to produce and edit, but I have access to 2 very nice video cameras.

30 seconds is ridiculously short
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Always good to hear from you Shane.

Going to take a break this summer like you did last year?

Seriously, I don't know when you sleep, but you guys are doing a hellova job up there.

Quote Originally Posted by t33j View Post
    I lack the skills required to produce and edit, but I have access to 2 very nice video cameras.

I haven't read the rules about outside help TJ...but rules permitting, I'll edit it for you if you shoot it.

In addition to a camera, you'll need audio equipment. Camera audio sucks unless you have access to a pro camera with XLR inputs.

Minimum will be a recorder like the Zoom H4n, boom, Juicedlink or other preamp with phantom power, Supercardiod Mic and a boom operator to go along with it.

Count on 15 to 30 minutes of raw footage to make that 30 seconds.
    Last edited by peter nap; 01-31-2011 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by t33j View Post

Surely you jest...

30 seconds is an eternity in the hands of a skilled movie maker.

Remember this commercial from a Superbowl a few years back? Tells quite a story, and leaves time at the end for the logos.

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    skilled movie maker
    Bueller? Bueller?

I could write a short story, but I can't write poetry.
    Last edited by t33j; 02-01-2011 at 12:45 AM.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    In addition to a camera, you'll need audio equipment. Camera audio sucks unless you have access to a pro camera with XLR inputs.
    I disagree.

Now if you want to compare one to the other, you have a point. XLR being second and independent (board) source being first, most modern handhelds have pretty fair audio.

I use my video camera to record live rock music and can isolate the audio - and it is listenable. Of course, a lot of that depends on who is running the sound... and there are a lot of schlubs out there who have a lot of gear and not a lot of talent.

On the topic at hand - if any ODU or TCC students in the Tidewater area wanted an extra cameraman or sourced audio for this project, I would be happy to contribute whatever I am able. I do have several bits of pro audio which may be helpful.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast