• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Time for a GSL student produced video?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Governor McDonnell Announces Campus Safety and Violence Prevention PSA Challenge
– Public Will Select Winners Through Online Voting –

Winning PSA Will Air on Television Statewide

http://www.governor.virginia.gov/news/viewRelease.cfm?id=581

Here is an opportunity for the pro self-defense, college community to speak out and deliver a message that potentially will be heard and seen across the Commonwealth.

Who will step up to accept the challenge?

nuc65

Activist Member

Governor McDonnell Announces Campus Safety and Violence Prevention PSA Challenge
– Public Will Select Winners Through Online Voting –

Winning PSA Will Air on Television Statewide

http://www.governor.virginia.gov/news/viewRelease.cfm?id=581

Here is an opportunity for the pro self-defense, college community to speak out and deliver a message that potentially will be heard and seen across the Commonwealth.

I would put my money into such an endeavor. A second amendment style proposal could be a good thing.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There's bound to be a film student somewhere at GMU that's pro 2nd.

Or at any university, college or community college in the state.

VT? UVA? One gung ho bunch is all we need - others will jump in to support if needed.

Might I add that we represent a sizable voting block between VCDL and OCDO.

Please note "must be postmarked or submitted online by April 30, 2011."

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Or at any university, college or community college in the state.

VT? UVA? One gung ho bunch is all we need - others will jump in to support if needed.

Might I add that we represent a sizable voting block between VCDL and OCDO.

Please note "must be postmarked or submitted online by April 30, 2011."

If you're going out of GMU, VCU would be the place to look. The problem is simple logistics.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
I would bet some kid that does not care about his future or grades or efforts of his parents to get him to school. I believe the repercussions from the school, anti's, and everyone else (except us.. and those like us) would be negativly overwhelming. If they "got it", they would already "get it" without a film.

TFred

Sadly, the effort would not stand a chance. A video may be worthwhile, it could be promoted through alternate venues, but not a chance in this contest.

See this, buried deep in the rules webpage linked above:

The Governor's Office of Substance Abuse Prevention will narrow entries to a select group which will be posted online for voting.​

It's a rigged contest from the start.

TFred

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I would bet some kid that does not care about his future or grades or efforts of his parents to get him to school. I believe the repercussions from the school, anti's, and everyone else (except us.. and those like us) would be negativly overwhelming. If they "got it", they would already "get it" without a film.

All it takes is one dedicated, capable and responsible enthusiast like Shane Belanger - pre-med student and founder of Maine Open Carry Association.
http://www.maineopencarry.org/

Do the job right and post it here and on YouTube would in itself be worth the effort.

crazydude6030

sure it does.. an old fart like ME does not have a "dog in the fight".. I think an active student that believes in what we believe in

I am a student, but I am also employed full time and have a family. I don't have much time on my hands but I'll see what I can do.

hunter45

Sounds like it would be a good project for GMU SCCC, but I think the group is still defunct. I could shoot a video with my iPhone and edit it in iMovie, but it would probably be awful and not stand a chance of winning.

I think someone should make a video of a shooter going into a classroom and firing at students, and all the students do is throw books at the shooter (remember that safety poster at JMU? It says to throw objects at the shooter). That should do a decent job in proving the point that gun free zones are worthless and that throwing anything but lead at the shooter is not going to get the job done.

TFred

I'm sure they are going to be looking for something that "toes the company line..." walking in groups, situational awareness, etc... But I bet an entry might just make it through the cut that had a few short clips from a self-defense, or martial arts class, including a scene that is obviously a training session at a shooting range.

I see a student (preferably a female student) with proper eye and ear protection being instructed in the proper stance and grip of a pistol at a range.

They obviously aren't going to take an entry with GSL as the primary theme, but one might very well include it among a story of overall safety issues.

TFred

crazydude6030

I'm sure they are going to be looking for something that "toes the company line..." walking in groups, situational awareness, etc... But I bet an entry might just make it through the cut that had a few short clips from a self-defense, or martial arts class, including a scene that is obviously a training session at a shooting range.

I see a student (preferably a female student) with proper eye and ear protection being instructed in the proper stance and grip of a pistol at a range.

They obviously aren't going to take an entry with GSL as the primary theme, but one might very well include it among a story of overall safety issues.

TFred

Pretty much what I was just thinking about. I am trying to figure out how to present carry into the topic without it being seen as inappropriate and still making it deep into the competition.

crazydude6030

video of no longer than 30 seconds in length

Take a look at the rules:
http://www.publicsafety.virginia.gov...Conditions.pdf

Yeah i was a bit quick to post that..

Reading through the rules it seems a lot of tiptoeing might need to be done. The idea is to get it chosen and seen across the board while making my point. I think we will need a few students for this. As for the young lady idea, I have a young lady in mind that might be willing to help ;-)

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate

Well, I can speak from experience on this one. I have been torn apart by one professor in particular that I know about. He actually did an entire class on how "stupid and ignorant" I was. I only know this because one of my friends was in the class (of course he didn't defend me for fear of repercussions). While you do get the bad press, which isn't so great considering I'm 20 years old and a few people think that I am way out in right field overall it's not bad.

I am putting myself through college, currently I am right around 49K in debt... because of this I have to join the USAF to back-pay my college loans. My parents do not pay a penny for my schooling, nor would I want them to. I guess I'm just stubborn. It always amazes me that people will write about how I "just want the attention", or how I "just like to see myself on TV. Although, I must say that my favorite is when they say that I'm "wasting daddy's money and not actually going to school".

Of course, this is all false. If you are younger like I am, you aren't always taken seriously. And people will never see the true reason why you are trying to start a movement. They will simply see a kid on the television screen and think that they must have an ulterior motive besides the fact that they are a freedom loving American.

At the end of the day, if you truly believe in something. Nothing can stop you from achieving it. Yes, in college professors can do pretty much whatever they want with your grades, and I have had to fight for a few of my grades to be what they truly should have been. There is always a "reason" why the you have gotten all A's on your papers, yet your final grade shows up as a C... You need to stand your ground no matter what and be 110% sure of yourself. You can't question anything you have done, or are doing. And you CAN'T give ANYONE any reason to just write you off. <-- looking at the teachers here.

This probably isn't well formed, or clear but there is simply so much to portray here. You cannot let anyone stop you from doing what you think is right in life. If you stop doing what you think is right, you will have lost who you are and what you stand for. When I look in the mirror I know that no matter what anyone thinks of me I am doing absolutely everything I can for the things that I believe in. When I die, no one will ever be able to say that I didn't do exactly what I wanted to do, nor can they say that I didn't live my life to the fullest or didn't reach my potential (whether they liked me or not). At the end of the day, it's only what you think of yourself that matters. And if you hold your head high, no one will be able to bring you down... there will always be enough fight left in you to right the wrongs that have been done to you. And believe me, with enough perseverance you can change everything.

P.S. I am not the only person who is going to college and fighting for our rights. If you look at the MOCA website you can see the name Forrest Brown right up there with mine and he is a fellow USM student, actually a fellow Biology Major. MOCA would not be what it is today without him.

t33j

I lack the skills required to produce and edit, but I have access to 2 very nice video cameras.

30 seconds is ridiculously short